Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Question Spektrum Dx7s vs Dx8? Upgrading from Dx6i

So I'm looking to upgrade. I currently have a Dx6i. I don't fly (Or plan to) any heli's beyond the little 4ch MSR for in the house. (Sorry if the post is a little long. Just explaining what I think I need.)

Here's some issues I've run into regarding limits to my 6i:

1) Not enough channels. I have a P-51 with flaps and retracts, and I would have liked to have seperated the ailerons for differential. An extra channel could easily solve this. Then I'll need the bomb drop, and... So I know 2 more ch's are better than 1, but for $100?

2) Not enough mixing? I have a little F-35, which I would like to do elevons in the tail, and flaperons on the wing. Doesn't seem possible on the 6i. Also, I have a UM Stryker with elevons, and I was hoping to be able to have 2 trim positions for the elev channel using the flap switch, so I could have a little up elev for hand launch, and hit a switch for level flight. Seems the elev mix in the flaps is disabled when you're using a wing mix on the 6i?

3) I think I have more than 10 planes & heli's now... Some problem, huh? I'll still keep the 6i for buddy-boxing, so I don't think the 20 vs 30 model mem's would be a big difference.

So, other than an extra channel, 10 more model memories, and I think more heli programming, what does the Dx8 offer beyond the Dx7s? Will either give enough mixing to solve my #2 problem? Anything else I don't realize yet?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

As you mentioned, if you are doing scale, then every extra channel will get used eventually.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
swimmer

Friends: (2)

Do some research before considering buying a used DX7. A defective RF board cost me a very good F22 profile propjet. Sent my DX7 to Horizon for repair. Got charged $72.00. Found out Horizon replaces a lot of these boards.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
mbarhsi

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Do some research before considering buying a DX7. A defective RF board cost me a very good F22 profile propjet. Sent my DX7 to Horizon for repair. Got charged $72.00. Found out Horizon replaces a lot of these boards.
DX7? Those have been discontinued for over a year and a half.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by mbarhsi View Post
Not the DX7s. It's the replacement for the old DX7.

AMA #959089
Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
swimmer

I bought it used. No more used TX's for me. Don't like buying someone else's problem and I want the warranty.

Since I got the DX7 back from Horizon repair it works perfect.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
RC Dad

I just upgraded this week (actually, added a transmitter as we'll still use the DX7 we have). We went with the DX8. For me the difference in cost did not make sense to go with the 7X. The back light, extra channel, 3 position switches and the rubber grips was more than enough to justify the difference.

Several places offer the radio, telemetry and receiver package for $365.

So far we love it (only used it once) and have no regrets in the choice.

In a year, you won't care about the $100 (at least I would forget about by then).

Keep us posted!

RC Dad

I don't crash, rather just land aggressively...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I'm already happy with it. Haven't used any extra channels yet, but the programming features are already a big plus!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
startazz

Yeah my DX8 has been well worth the money i paid for it and i've only just finished putting my 16 fixed wing models into it,i was getting fed up with deleting model memories in my DX6i to fly another one of my other models,so the DX8 was well worth it just for that let alone all the extra stuff it odes compared to the DX6i,my favorite part on the DX8 so far apart from the model memories and SD card and firmware updates is the three position switches.

I now have three sets of DR/EXPO set up for all my models rather than the two i use to have,i've only had my DX8 for a few months and i'm still finding new mixes to do and i must say i'm well pleased with it.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)
Default Re: Spektrum Dx7s vs Dx8? Upgrading from Dx6i

I am a strong supporter for buying the best system you can afford. This is one area not to skimpy IMHO.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
startazz

I've never had a problem with any of my Spektrum radios (touch wood) and i use a good few orange rx's from HK too,none of them have let me down.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I just upgraded from the (old-style) DX7 to a DX8 and it was well worth it. i sold the DX7 so by the time the three receivers that I got in the package are considered the Tx was free!

Anyway, 'free' or otherwise it was well worth the upgrade. The timer started by throttle is great, the throttle curve programming is excellent, 3 way rate switched are handy, and many other improvements. Telemetry is one feature I thought I'd have no use for but it's actually really good, no more running low on battery voltage and hitting LVC, this probably has saved at least one emergency landing already. The Tx feels a lot better in the hand than the old DX7 too, the roller make programming much quicker. All in all I'm delighted.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
mbarhsi

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Not the DX7s. It's the replacement for the old DX7.
Um, that's why I didn't reference the DX7s.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #14
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Um, that's why I didn't reference the DX7s.

Uhm, yeah... I don't know what I was thinking... Brain fart.

AMA #959089
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Xmech2. So how do you likse the DX8? I believe that is what you decided to go with??? Was not sure. I am due to come home soon and would like a new TX and was having pretty much the same debate on whether or not to buy the DX7s or the DX8. Im leaning towords the 8 becausew I like the 3 position switches, but at the same time I am thinking the 7s because of price and I cant really see too much difference between the two. I agree that you want the best now or regret later. I own DX6i which is what I could afford at the time and it has been a great TX and I plan to keep it I just never thought I would get 10 planes. Yea I know Fish its an addiction!!!
So anyway I could really use your advice here.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Hi Fish. Yeah, I went with the Dx8. I think I did just decide with the 'more is better' tx thinking. I haven't quite exceeded the 7s 20 model limit, but I'm getting close! I had the opportunity to work with a 7s, as a buddy asked me to set up his FMS 1400mm Mustang for him. I found the 7s is pretty much identical as far as programming goes, at least as far as the stuff I've done, which doesn't include anything really fancy. I don't do heli's, so I don't know about that.

The most complex thing I programmed (Like I brought up at in my starting post) was my little 64mm EDF F-35, of all things. The basic model was 4ch, but i separated the tail surfaces from the wing surfaces. They would normally be connected and move together from a single servo on each side. So I added aileron servos, and made elevons on the tail, and flaperons on the wings. Long story, but the point is, this would have been impossible with a 6i, but IIRC, the 7s should be able to do this. But if I ever added retracts, there's the 8th channel. (Let's see, 1:Throttle. 2:Rudder for nose wheel steering. 3:Elev for one elevon. 4:Ail for other elevon. 5: Aux1 for one aileron. 6: Aux2 for other one. 7:Flap, mixed to flaperons. I think it went something like that!) So there's an example of the most I've done with it so far.

As far as the 3 position rate switches, I've not really use it much. Used them on that F-35 and recently on the Techone Swift I got to try to learn 3D, but on nothing else. Could be me, though. I find just 2 rates is usually fine for me, unless it's an unusual model.

They both have 3pos flaps with speed control. When I browse the features for the 7s and the 8 on the Spektrum site, the biggest difference I see technically, and I could be missing something, is the extra 10 models in the memory, and the extra channel, which I think also translates to one more mix? It also seems the 8 gets more attention from Spektrum, like the just released sailplane programming update for the 8, and there like twice as many downloadable setups for the 8. Some include things like the Scimitar, so I guess the 7s can't handle it with it's vectored thrust?

So that's my rundown. Very similar, but a little more with the 8. Hope my rambling has been some help. Get home safe!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Xmech2. So how do you likse the DX8? I believe that is what you decided to go with??? Was not sure. I am due to come home soon and would like a new TX and was having pretty much the same debate on whether or not to buy the DX7s or the DX8. Im leaning towords the 8 becausew I like the 3 position switches, but at the same time I am thinking the 7s because of price and I cant really see too much difference between the two. I agree that you want the best now or regret later. I own DX6i which is what I could afford at the time and it has been a great TX and I plan to keep it I just never thought I would get 10 planes. Yea I know Fish its an addiction!!!
So anyway I could really use your advice here.

Yeah
I've also got the Spektrum DX8, along with a five year old original DX7. Programming the DX8 as compared to the old DX7 is like night and day.

You might check on the transmitter battery for the DX7s. I think it uses loose AA type Nih cells. If so, I've never been much of a fan of these types of battery holders. Not when the transmitter is the control for a model airplane worth way to many hundreds of dollars anyhow.

The DX8 transmitter battery pack is a welded 4 cell pack.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #18
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Yeah, don't even compare the 7s and 8 to the Dx7! I heard that one is a nightmare to program, but I guess it's still supposed to be a great heli tx?

I didn't realize the 7s uses looase AA cells. Yes, the lipo pack for th Dx8 is a MUST! i used to have to charge it after every flying day. Now it's like once a month, and even then I don't have to charge it yet.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Thanks guys. I think the DX8 is the way to go. I saw a Lipo at Hobby King for a resonable price as well. I will have to call my local HS to see f they have any in and if not get one on order so I can pick it up ASAP.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Club: Monticello Model Masters

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
You might check on the transmitter battery for the DX7s. I think it uses loose AA type Nih cells....

The DX8 transmitter battery pack is a welded 4 cell pack.
The DX7s uses the same packs (welded NiMH or 2S LiPo) that the DX8 accepts.

Andy
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Yeah, don't even compare the 7s and 8 to the Dx7! I heard that one is a nightmare to program, but I guess it's still supposed to be a great heli tx?

I didn't realize the 7s uses looase AA cells. Yes, the lipo pack for th Dx8 is a MUST! i used to have to charge it after every flying day. Now it's like once a month, and even then I don't have to charge it yet.
None of them are a nightmare. I found both the old DX7 and the DX8 quite easy. The DX8 is a little quicker with less button pressing due to the roller but neither is at all 'difficult'. The DX7s is similar to the DX8 so also will be easy enough.

And as Andy said.. the 7s uses the exact same NiMh or LiPo battery as the DX8.

Off the top of my head the features that the DX7s is missing compared to the DX8 are:
  • The 8th channel (obviously)
  • A few programming features such as throttle curves, flap system programming and glider specific wing programming (unless they added the glider wing to the 7s too?)

Throttle curves are a feature i'd not want to give up.

there are maybe some other minor features.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros