Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Lanyu 64mm T45 arrives .......

Some one likes me today !! Yesterday I snapped EDF shaft in my 51mm, exploded the fan in my 50mm .... leaving me without an EDF to fly.

This morning I get call from Courier to say a big box is being delivered to my house .......... Now this is quick ... it was only less than 2 weeks ago that I ordered a Lanyu T45 Kit from Hobby King.
It arrived in good condition ...

I already have a 5000kv 2610 EDF motor spare ......... servos .......... Rx and LiPo's .......... so the kit version was ideal.

I noted that review comments centred on the problem to install motor and also fan fitting to shaft ... as the shroud is already fitted into the fuselage.

I am going to have to find a way to bolt in motor ... fit adaptor shaft and then fan with nut to that ... all with baby sized hands !! I may as the 50mm series have - cut a hatch in the bottom of fuselage and then screw back in place.

The fan is different to my others. Using a tapered reamer - I opened up shaft hole and used my shaft adaptor with nut on end to retain fan.

More to follow ...........

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

On Hobby King review the Lanyu T45 comes in for some questions .. and I reckon as the model is basically a simple glue, plug together kit ... the questions are the best to answer.

First is the factory installed 64mm fan unit. They only fit the shroud - leaving the motor and rotor up to you to fit.

The fuselage has a hatch cut and screwed to access rear of the shroud to allow motor to be slid in.

Using hex head bolts and a long hex driver - you can access the front to screw up from tthe wing seat area ... the long driver making job easy.

The next issue is the installation of ESC .... the fuselage has a slot cut out inside to access the narrow top deck tunnel ... but the control cables sit dead middle of this and getting a decent sized ESC in is near impossible.

So I decided to use the panel lines to hide my cutting another hatch ..

This allows me to install decent sized ESC exactly where needed, tape it down, feed cables, and connect up to motor ..

There are three modifications I made to cockpit bay ....

a) I made the slot in cross foam former to slide Rx in to fit :

b) I cut a slot in the top of same cross foam former to lay the battery to ESC extender lead into so canopy sits flat :

The battery sits nicely deep down on the tray with supplied Velcro strap.

c) When canopy fitted as supplied, the guide pin plate at front is too high and a gap is apparent between the canopy and fuselage :

Therefore I repositioned the plate slightly lower to get the canopy to sit better.

I also added 2 further magnets to keep canopy in place (too many times I've had canopys come of in flight !)

Here she is ready to go ....

Just need the weather to improve !! (Wheels are fitted as supplied but will soon be removed after trimmed out etc.)

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Nice, Nigel! Those T-45 kits are tempting me, too. I'll go with the SkyAngel, if I pull the trigger.

Think I can get the 55mm EDF unit in that plane? My Mig and I are currently on the outs.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Nice, Nigel! Those T-45 kits are tempting me, too. I'll go with the SkyAngel, if I pull the trigger.

Think I can get the 55mm EDF unit in that plane? My Mig and I are currently on the outs.
I just find it a touch annoying that ALL the T45 kits ... Skyangel, Lanyu etc. are also available in original Red Arrows Hawk scheme - BUT HK don't stock - they only do the US Navy T45 ... I know there are slight design differences after McD bought licence to produce the Hawk ... but for me is not a problem.

My replacement fuselage kit is on it's way for the Skyangel version that is now sitting looking sick on my bench !! I shall fit the 51mm fan unit in - as it gives excellent throttle response with the 4850kv inrunner in it ...
55mm will make the walls very thin and I would be wary of that ...... with the 51 - the EDF hatch already has a small hole near the fixing screw.

Nigel

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've had a dance getting the CoG right ... but finally with all wheels removed and a medium 1500 4S in there - she ballances out OK and weighs in at 638gr (22.5 ozs) ........... I think that's good for a 64mm fan job as it's not so small.

I've opened the air intakes on top of fuselage to get more air to ESC ... fitted catapult hook ( you can see it immedaitely below the Stars and Stripes under cockpit ), ..... she still has the 5000kv motor in so runs will be short ..... waiting the 4300kv unit.

Waiting weather now ....

Nigel

Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Maiden flight on 19th July ....... magic - showed well powered even on 3S. Sadly the ESC to motor bullets disconnected and the wing pin mount plate came loose ... she nosed over and went in.
Straightened nose .. rebuilt that silly plastic nose cone ...

Next outing was on 22 July at Ventspils Invitation Fly In ... WOW - all I can say is she is a dream to fly ...

But I must have picked a bad LiPo as after about 1.45 she puffed the 4S Lipo and power died ... but she glided in lovely ...

I've now pulled out the 5000kv motor and put in a 2810 4300kv ... the recc'd motor and thrust is very good ...

Just waiting weather again ......

Nigel

Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Here's the short flight before LiPo went puffy !

http://youtu.be/nfxGF4wNYso

But as I say - even the short flights show it to be well powered and a good glide on landing etc.

Like I say - for $30 .... a steal !

Nigel

Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Fun patrol alert. You were having way too much fun comrade ! This is not permissible.

Looked great !

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Fun patrol alert. You were having way too much fun comrade ! This is not permissible.

Looked great !

Hawk
I have to admit it was a smashing day ... light wind, sunny ... nice.

I flew my Cessna ... Mig 3 ... Ultimate Bipe ... 50mm T45 ... and the 64mm T45 .......... Yep - Way too much fun !!

Tried the Parkjet as well - but that blew it's prop so went home unsuccessful again.

Nigel

Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Man I hate it when the put the stars and bars upside down and on both wing tops. These guys try to do scale and they mess up simple stuff....

Looks pretty nice otherwise.

Mike
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Man I hate it when the put the stars and bars upside down and on both wing tops. These guys try to do scale and they mess up simple stuff....

Looks pretty nice otherwise.

Mike
How do you think I feel when the ORIGINAL HAWK which gave birth to the lesser performing T45 is not available to me in RAF or Red Arrows colours ?

Anyway - it's my fault - I stuck the vinyls on not factory.

They're only temporary anyway - once she's all dialed in and sorted - the USA stuff is peeling of and RAF colours on ....

There's 2 reasons for that .... the RAF / Red Arrows colours are brilliant in the air to follow, particularly the white V arrow underside. ... the white T45 is not so clear at distance. Second - I'm a Brit !

Nigel

Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Well thanks for fessing up.

I think RAF will be perfect. I am very fond of British markings. My F4F is getting a Martlet update and here are a couple of my repaints.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f4uf6f-90.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	161554

Name:	f4uf6f-91.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	161555

Name:	f4uf6f-92.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	161556

Name:	f4uf6f-93.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	161557
Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well thanks for fessing up.

I think RAF will be perfect. I am very fond of British markings. My F4F is getting a Martlet update and here are a couple of my repaints.

Mike
Yeh great until you do a Parkjet in camo scheme and its darn difficult to follow at 222 kph !! and when it goes down in a field !!

There are some striking schemes in literally all nations colours ... but I am fond of the Red Arrows colours ... and if Govt cuts take toll as is hinted at now and again ... it may only be models flying them ! Tony Blair started the anti-establishment rot ...

Anyway I really meant no offence - I was in a rush to get her finished and messed up.

Flew her again just now ... beautiful steady on rails... but again a puffed LiPo ... this time a 35C which should be good for a few amps over 35 ... but it gave the calculated run time .. This looks like it needs serious C rating for a 4S .... or EPA the throttle back to 35A and live with small increase of 6A and 1 cell extra over the factory 3S ... which gives 29A draw.

Nigel

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

No offense at all - I have seen seasoned US born modelers put em on the wrong wing or upside down!

Yea no question the red will be the bee's knee's. Go for it!

Mike
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

No offense at all - I have seen seasoned US born modelers put em on the wrong wing or upside down!

Yea no question the red will be the bee's knee's. Go for it!

Mike
Have a bit of a thing with the wife over this ... she was the one who said to buy it when she saw the online pics. She LIKES the T45 Navy scheme ... but she's Russian so what does she know !!

I mentioned when putting it together I was conisdering getting the red spray can out ..... she said no. Funny thing is she really likes my 50mm Red Arrows job I painted up from a T45 ...

I'll give it a bit of time and then paint her up ! Have to see local shop for more decals anyway ...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Do the red - and get a IL-2 Sturmovik for her. LOL!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Do the red - and get a IL-2 Sturmovik for her. LOL!
Funy enough I was looking at one last time in Riga ... it was a toss up between the Mig-3 or the Il-2.

Nigel

Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

This evening ... rigged the catapult launcher ... put her on ....

Opened throttle ... she slid of front of rails and PLOP !! The bungee ring had fallen of ! It's a good sign actually ... it means the hook is not bent back too far !

Reconnected, pushed model back on ramp so ring was harder on the hook ..... give it 50% throttle .. released and BOy what a launch ... straight as a die ... climbing out lovely ... opened rest of throttle and she sang.

LiPo ? 3S 2200 ....... She flies real nice on a 3S ... so for me now, I'm not flaffing about with trying to get 4S to run nice ... 3S flies her nicely ... reasonable turn of speed ... she loops nice and large without a dive into the start .... roll rate is WOW !

Really enjoyed the flight ..............

Nigel

Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

This really flies nice on 3S without wheels etc. A 2200 25C balances ok and gives a reasonable flight time. Its getting that this may even rival the 50mm Skyangel job !

Im getting good consistent flights.

Tip : The nose cone is thin fragile plastic. No need to replace - cover in red insulation tape. This gives it shock absorbing cover ! I actually took my splattered cone, taped it roughly back to shape - re-attached to model. It now survives most ! Quick bit withhand to get shape back after landing .......
Nigel

Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Flew in some gusty wind today that was quite strong at times ... apart from a touch of wing wobble in the gusts - she flew beautifully.
Still only using a 3S ... speed may not be adrenaline surging - but she punches through well enough and goes from a standing hand-launch straight as a die.

Very happy that I'm even considering another to paint up in Red Arrows scheme !

Nigel

Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Test figures for those interested ... note that this model flies very well on stock and 3S 2100 lipo ...

64mm Stock fan, 4300kv 2810 Turnigy EDF motor

3S 2100 35C LiPo

AUW to fly = 715gr
Amps : 31A
Watts : 350W
Volts : 11.4V on load
Thrust nett : 456gr = 0.64 to 1

I find this interesting that the thrust ratio is below what I would normally aim for. I flew the model really without checking this first. But she flies stable, will fly in moderate winds without problem. For general sport flight she needs no more than this.

Nigel

Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Today I finally took the plunge and modified the elevator servo on the Lanyu T45. Idea being to transfer weight to rear of model to help in upgrading to much larger 4S LiPo pack.

Original is with a single 9gr servo set at the back of the cockpit :

It acts on the elevators via these thin rods via tubes running whole length of fuselage, I left the tubes in place as no need to remove.. :

Carefully measured where I could sink the servos in without breaking through to duct, placed servos in to check :

Threaded stiff wire through ESC duct to provide messenger so to be able to pull servo leads through to cockpit :

Servos in place .... Rx now sits where old servo use to ... and battery pack now has clearer space to be located on the tray, with part dissapearing under the old Rx shelf.
Plug in servos .. 1 to Elevator Ch 2, other to Aux Ch 6 ... mix the two to get twin elevator function ....

White packing tape to hide the servos ...

Now I can get a 4S 3000 pack in there, new CoG is only a small amount fwd of when I flew her .. and beauty is I can still fly with the old 2100 3S and still have good CoG
Feel quite pleased with myself !

The servos are tiny ... only 4.5gr .. but I think they are more than enough as the original set-up was a single 9gr operating via long rods both elevators.

We will see when she goes for test flight hopefully today ...

Nigel

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well what can I say ............

Vilnis stood there with T45 ready to launch .. I tested controls ... gave her full throttle ... gave the YES command .....

She went away straight as a die .... Vilnis stepped back and said as he passed me - That's GOOD !

My modification made only one slight difference - I must have had slight difference on elevators before as now she had a tendency to want to drift to left bank ... couple of clicks on aileron and she was on rails !

Today was only on 3S as usual though as launch was near straight into sun ... and I didn't want to risk a heavier nose in the suns glare ...

Any difference in flight ? I have a feeling that elevator response was more crisp ... more instant, possibly because the rods were flexing before ?

Now I just want to adjust out the trim that was always there .. so I have maximum available when I put the 4S in there.

Very happy .. excellent mod even if I say myself !

Nigel

Old 08-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Last night test flew her with the 4S 3000 pack I have. Despite the increased test bench results :

3S 2100 = Thrust 456gr, 31A, 350W
4S 3000 = Thrust 625gr, 40A, 520W

She was dissapointing ... and didn't seem any quicker than the 3S .. motor didn't sound as though it was faster ... To be honest - I think the above figures are initial battery and shortly after drop away to a lot less judging by the flight.
The Nanotech came down puffed - so : I put it down so far to a tired Nanotech Battery ... so will wait arrival of my new 4S packs ....

Nigel

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Marvelous session with her tonight ... new 4S 2700 pack ..... over 130kph on the level .... smooooooooooooooth !!

Love it.

Video later

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets