Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
dge

Friends: (0)
Default need dx6i settings for UM t-28 trojan

I'm expecting a new UM t-28 trojan next week and I haven't had much luck finding dx6i settings for it. You would think they would be included in the manual (I found it online) but they aren't.

I was wondering if anybody that also owns this plane would share their personal settings.

This will be my first 4 channel plane to fly. I have a UMX Beast but I know better than to even attempt to fly it just yet. I have a Champ that I fly but it's not that much of a challenge.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

You don't really need any specific settings. I wouldn't even use any expo for it.

First you want to check if you need to reverse any control surfaces. Stand behind the plane. Rudder is supposed to move the same direction as the stick. Pushing the elevator stick away from you should lower the elevator. If you move the aileron stick to the right, the right aileron should raise and the left should lower. And vice versa, of course.

For high rates, I would use 100% and for low I'd use anything between 50% and 70%. Lower rates makes for a more docile plane, but it takes longer to fly out of trouble if you have to.

But really, as long as you make sure the control surfaces move the right way, you should be ok.

EDIT: Messed up the elevator direction. Corrected now.

AMA #959089
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
dge

Ok, I kind of thought that might be the case. 100% and inhibit. Right?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I'm not sure what you mean by "inhibit". If you're new to 4ch aircraft, I'd bring the rates down to 60%. That should make it docile and nice.

AMA #959089
Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
dge

inhibit= no expo
Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

I have a UM T-28 and a DX8 as my first setup. I just made sure the control surfaces were level and off I went. I found it needed a little down elevator and some left rudder.
The annoying part for me is every time it hits the ground. I have to re- trim it. (did I mention it is my first plane) And you have to re-bind it to the transmitter every time you remove the battery. (unless I am doing something wrong)

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
I have a UM T-28 and a DX8 as my first setup. I just made sure the control surfaces were level and off I went.
I agree - just checked my own T-28 setup (on a DX6i) and there's nothing special:- 100% rates, no expo, all directions 'normal'.

@ dge: One thing I've found with the T-28, is the aircraft is quite underpowered & draggy, so unless you have a very smooth surface for takeoff, you'd be better off removing the wheels & launching it by hand.
I use a smooth portable runway and it still needs about 10m to take off. With it having so little power in reserve, it needs to be flown with plenty of throttle. Mine stalls easily, especially in turns, if speed drops off.
Your UMX Beast is a great little plane. When you outgrow your T-28, or simply when you get bored/frustrated with it, the Beast should put a big smile on your face

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
The annoying part for me is... you have to re-bind it to the transmitter every time you remove the battery. (unless I am doing something wrong)
I have the same problem with my Carbon Cub - keeps losing the binding after removing battery. Doesnt happen every time though - just enough to be annoying. Luckily we dont have to mess around with a bind plug, on the micro's.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
dge

Thanks Sparky, that's kind of what I thought. I heard it's pretty easy to fly. Not alot of power. But that's ok for now. I just want to get the feel of ailerons before I maiden the Beast. I've been flying helicopters up until I bought the beast. I got a great deal on it, $50 NIB, so I bought it. The more I thought about it the more I realized that if I jump out there and try to fly this plane with no experience it would probably end disastrously. So, I'm working my way up to it.

So far planes have been much easier than helicopters.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners