Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
sambo3901
Sambo3901

Friends: (0)
Smile Newbie's Maiden Flight of the Apprentice

First time post from a Newbie here. Been reading a lot of different threads here and really appreciate all Iíve been able to learn. Just wanted to relate my recent experience as I think it might be useful to otherís just starting out. Up until this past week the only experience I had was with some 2 channel plane that I bought for my daughter about 10 years ago (she was around 10 at the time). Couldnít tell you the make or model, had one channel for the throttle and one for the rudder. It flew quite well and my daughter was able to control it most of the time. Unfortunately one day a nice gust of wind caught it and it ended up about 50í up in a maple tree only to slowly come down over the course of a few months as it was shredded to pieces by the wind/branches. Anyway, fast forward to the present. Bought an E-flite Apprentice from the local hobby shop. Also, spent a couple of weeks using a flight simulator program to try to become familiar with flying a 4 channel plane. Still screw up my left and right when itís heading towards me but getting better. Took the apprentice out for its maiden flight this past weekend. It really flew like a charm and I had a blast. Thankfully there was not much wind at all. Had it up about a dozen times, practiced landings and takeoffs without one crash (unless you count a nose-over after landing when it hit some grass). I was quite nervous the first time up after hearing horror stories and viewing crashes of maiden flights on You tube. Iím sure Iíll be crashing sooner or later but just wanted to give others just starting out a little optimism. With a great trainer like the Apprentice, some simulator time, and a lot of learning from experts like we have here, you too can learn to fly and even get up and down many times without wrecking your investment. Good luck to all you other Newbies out there and thanks again to all you trained professionals!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Club: Georgia Mountain RC Club and Bristol Field

Glad to hear it! I too maidened on an Apprentice, but I did have a few flights where friends would take off or land for me. This really is a great model to start with. It controls well, takes off relatively quickly (helps in grass) and glides in well for landings.

I did put larger wheels on mine because I often fly off grass. I went with 3" dubro wheels.

And I don't count nose overs on roll out as a "crash" either.

Edited to add: And welcome to the forum!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
sambo3901
Sambo3901

Thanks MX5Seeker, was actually going to see if I could pick up some larger wheels today as well. Really helps to have a plane that's easily controlled for someone just starting out.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Congrats, Sambo! And let me compliment you on your wisdom at not starting out with an F-15!

The Apprentice was my first, plane, too. I still have it, and enjoy doing touch and goes with her when I feel my landings are getting sloppy and I need a refresher course. I also have some floats I've yet to install.

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Sambo,

Congrats on the maiden. Apprentice is one fine plane and a great choice. She'll probably be your best friend for a long time. Sure is a nice feeling , isn't it? Not much different than completing your first solo in a full scale. You want to high five everyone.

I'm sure you already have a lot of ideas swimming around. Trust me, it get worse. Cha-ching !

Cheers,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)

You almost word for word had my same beginning experience. I trained on Realflight6 for about 2-3 weeks, and had no other training. My maiden flight was as follows...

Could not have chosen a better beginner 4 Ch. plane!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

LOL! First I thought, how brave to fly there surrounded by that fence and trees! You did great! And, I've been flying for like 4 years now, and you would definitely have beat me if we had a who-can-land-closest-to-the-fence contest!

Good job!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
LOL! First I thought, how brave to fly there surrounded by that fence and trees! You did great! And, I've been flying for like 4 years now, and you would definitely have beat me if we had a who-can-land-closest-to-the-fence contest!

Good job!
It was not as bad as it looked, the video was taken by a cell phone, and by the time it was uploaded, the video got sped up a bit. It was a lot slower in person.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Club: Georgia Mountain RC Club and Bristol Field

Flew mine again today. Two long flights. Even tried to do some inverted flying.

sambo3901, you'll appreciate the larger wheels on grass. 2.5Ē might do it, but I went with 3Ē. The larger wheels and rough terrain will put some pressure on the clevis attachments to the servo arm. I have had to replace the one from the nose gear twice already. And you will need a spacer or an extra wheel collar to keep the front wheel from binding on the strut.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
It was not as bad as it looked, the video was taken by a cell phone, and by the time it was uploaded, the video got sped up a bit. It was a lot slower in person.

Slower, faster, it all seems faster when you're flying! You still did good.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Slower, faster, it all seems faster when you're flying! You still did good.
Thanks! I still have that plane, she has a little damage now a days after 80 or so flights, but still flying! Best way to start flying, would not have been happier going any other route plane-wise!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
park
Will fly for food

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by MX5Seeker View Post
Flew mine again today. Two long flights. Even tried to do some inverted flying.

sambo3901, you'll appreciate the larger wheels on grass. 2.5” might do it, but I went with 3”. The larger wheels and rough terrain will put some pressure on the clevis attachments to the servo arm. I have had to replace the one from the nose gear twice already. And you will need a spacer or an extra wheel collar to keep the front wheel from binding on the strut.
This model can do some aerobatics but it can break the vertical fin and loosen the elevator. !Congrats on the maiden!

When I fly alone, I prefer to be by myself.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners