Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default not so easy ...cellpro powerlab 6 setup

starting with page one of the cellpro powerlab 6 and using a mpa power board to charge 6 4cell packs for saturdays flying in the morning ...the first step is to choose the power source weather it be dc power and set the wattage it supplies, or leadfree battery[car battery].

well,i did the steps and got nothing on the screen to choose from so i guess i'm stuck at step one. using a 24v 1200w server supply.

since there are no pictures on the parralle board and i don't have an instruction sheet showing how batteries are plugged in [use both balance wires and main wire one or the otheron different charger settings...ect..ect].

i couldn't find one video on the internet that would walk me thru the steps and battery hookups and how to navigate the menu which appears on the sceen by asking questions . i am sure once learned ,it's extreemly simple,but just not tonight.

if anyone knows of a video done by someone that might help me get started this weekend i would greatly appreciate it,cause right now my flying buds are away that use the cellpro powerlab 8 which operates on the same principles. as you can see......i'm seeing red with frustration.[jk]

i will use my cellpro 4cell revolution chargers and it will take several hours to charge 10-12 packs for flying sat....gotta fly the day away to relieve this stress..lol...

one thing i don't understand is how i'll know all cells are charged equaly and how i'll know what level each each battery was refueled,like the mah amount required to complete the charge.. the cellpro 4 chargers told me that info with the push of a button. so is the powerlab 6 more a trust each cell is good charger...i guess the cheap hand held volt/ cell count reader is in order now and i just have to check eack pack after charging.only $25 on ebay. i will succeed at learning the powerlabs abitlities,but for now.........sheeesh,a walk thru video would be great. it was done for the cellpro4's chargers. i think i'll make one.

picture of the setup,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 314.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	161313

Name:	funjet ultra 317.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	161314

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Quite sure the PL6 is going to give you all cell voltages during and at the end of charging.

Check out the Company Support Forums for FMA Direct:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228

And this thread

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65608

If there is no help there tonight check out this PL6 thread on RC Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525834
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
starting with page one of the cellpro powerlab 6 and using a mpa power board to charge 6 4cell packs for saturdays flying in the morning ...the first step is to choose the power source weather it be dc power and set the wattage it supplies, or leadfree battery[car battery].

well,i did the steps and got nothing on the screen to choose from so i guess i'm stuck at step one. using a 24v 1200w server supply.

since there are no pictures on the parralle board and i don't have an instruction sheet showing how batteries are plugged in [use both balance wires and main wire one or the otheron different charger settings...ect..ect].

i couldn't find one video on the internet that would walk me thru the steps and battery hookups and how to navigate the menu which appears on the sceen by asking questions . i am sure once learned ,it's extreemly simple,but just not tonight.

if anyone knows of a video done by someone that might help me get started this weekend i would greatly appreciate it,cause right now my flying buds are away that use the cellpro powerlab 8 which operates on the same principles. as you can see......i'm seeing red with frustration.[jk]

i will use my cellpro 4cell revolution chargers and it will take several hours to charge 10-12 packs for flying sat....gotta fly the day away to relieve this stress..lol...

one thing i don't understand is how i'll know all cells are charged equaly and how i'll know what level each each battery was refueled,like the mah amount required to complete the charge.. the cellpro 4 chargers told me that info with the push of a button. so is the powerlab 6 more a trust each cell is good charger...i guess the cheap hand held volt/ cell count reader is in order now and i just have to check eack pack after charging.only $25 on ebay. i will succeed at learning the powerlabs abitlities,but for now.........sheeesh,a walk thru video would be great. it was done for the cellpro4's chargers. i think i'll make one.

picture of the setup,
Question:
Did you buy the programming cable that allows your PC to communicate directly with the Cellpro charger?

If so, this allows you to "preset" a number of specific charge rates for your various battery setups. It takes a bit of figuring out to do it, but once you've done one Preset, the remaining presets are easy to do. And after setting up the presets, actually using the Cellpro charger is a lot easier. These presets are stored in flash memory, so they only have to be entered or programmed once. And changing them later on is easy to do.

As for my Cellpro Powerlab 8 I've got the following setups.
Preset 1 = Charge A123 cells at 30 Amps (Cell count is automatic) Four parallel A123 cells as a 6S4P
Preset 2 = Charge A123 cells at 15 Amps (Cell count is automatic) Two parallel A123 cells as a 6S2P
Preset 3 = Charge A123 cells at 7.5 Amps (Cell count is automatic) One parallel A123 cell as a 4S1P, 5S1P or 6S1P
Preset 4 = Charge Transmitter Nih cells at 0.9 Amps
Preset 5 = Charge Receiver Nih cells at 0.9 Amps
Preset 6 = LiPo Charge at 1.0 Amps

That's only about 1/2 of the "Presets" allowed by the '8 charger. I believe the Cellpro 6 is similar in operation.

To use these Presets, simply hook up your battery power leads and balance leads to the charger, scroll through to which Preset number you want, and key in enter. Follow the menu, and it simply goes. Don't know about the Powerlab 6, but my Powerlab 8 shows "A123 at 30 Amps" on its LCD display for Preset #1.

The Powerlab 8 has a multitude of different info on its LCD display by scrolling through the menu either during, or after a charge cycle. This includes each cell voltage, charging current, total cell voltage, 12 VDC battery voltage and current, individual cell resistance, and a few more. The Cellpro balance circuitry does a very good job at exact cell voltage balancing both during the charge cycle, and at the end of the charge cycle.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Friends: (0)

picture of the setup,
Hi:

Based on your frustration level, I don't see much point in trying to give you a step 1, 2,3 in public forum. If you can't make it through the user guide, I don't think I'd do much better this way.

My suggestion would be to call Howard Matos during working hours at (301) 829-5533. He normally works M-F between the hours of 9am and 3:30pm EST. He'll be able to walk you through it and get you going.

Tim Marks
Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Based on your frustration level, I don't see much point in trying to give you a step 1, 2,3 in public forum. If you can't make it through the user guide, I don't think I'd do much better this way.

My suggestion would be to call Howard Matos during working hours at (301) 829-5533. He normally works M-F between the hours of 9am and 3:30pm EST. He'll be able to walk you through it and get you going.

Tim Marks
Hi Tim
Question:
Is the PC programming for the Powerlab 6 and Powerlab 8 similar in setup?
I've got a club member that has ordered two of the '6 chargers for himself and his son. I'd be working with setting them up for him.

(I've helped another club member with the Cellpro 10xP. After getting this 10xP charger that club member is putting his other mfg chargers in a storage box.)

Thanks.

DennyV

DennyV
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks for the reply gang. your right Tim,frustration with tech stuff runs high when it comes to computers and the like. an example is i just wrote a long post here and had to down load spell checker again only to wipe out my post.... fortunately my batteries are ready to go for the morning and afternoon.

I'll have a friend at my club explain the charger and it's various uses that are important to me. i don't need to know all there is to know about the powerlab....just need to charge quickly and safely. looking forward to charging 6 batteries at once. thanks again my friends

Tim the cellpro 4's spoiled me with the simple one button use. they are great little chargers. it did take a few hr's to charge up 8 batteries using 2 chargers at the same time. i had one break down and that got me going for the powerlab 6....then i saw the pulled wire on the board and repaired it. so i'll have the old chargers for standby. i don't think I'll be using them much in the very near future.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

had a guy at the field run over the basics using his powerlab8. it has more functions than the power lab 6. i have the charger set for dc power supply ,24 volts 38 amps.

Tim or anyone who can advise me,i purchased this charger thru progressive rc,i believe i have the settings correct and tried setting up for 2 packs to charge at same time using the paraboard from fma that costs $60.the 2 batteries are 4 cell 2200mah 20 c used today.

heres what i see on the screen from power on to start charge: hit enter on the "start charge only" screen and it reads" bad cell count node wiring fma" "push to reset" i guess I'm still on hold till someone talks me thru this setup.... no frustration now,just want to be charging my packs on this new charger instead of the old ones still.

Tim,I'll call for help Monday afternoon ,but i get home from work around 4:30...to call Howard before 3:30 is going to be difficult Mon thru friday,....not sure what the best way to go is.....i don't like the idea of trying to learn on the boss's dollar and the members at the psychiatric vocational training facility i work at as a rehab workshop aid don't even leave till 3:30 so even the phone call isn't going to be a long call. perhaps during my lunch time at 12:30 any suggestions for other references to get help would be great.

seriously would love to have a video of the power lab set up,even though the guy at the field showed me a lot of things ...theres no rewind button to hit for the reviewing and most of what he said got confusing by the end when he pulled out his phone calculator to show me rates of amp/watts/volts makes to charge ...ect..ect.

makes a person realize how the physically/mentally impaired feel when they don't understand the simplest tasks to perform at work. life is sometime complicated even for the very smart.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Hi Tim
Question:
Is the PC programming for the Powerlab 6 and Powerlab 8 similar in setup?
I've got a club member that has ordered two of the '6 chargers for himself and his son. I'd be working with setting them up for him.

(I've helped another club member with the Cellpro 10xP. After getting this 10xP charger that club member is putting his other mfg chargers in a storage box.)

Thanks.

DennyV
Hi:

To answer your question, the Charge Control Software for the PL8 and the PL6 are virtually identical.

Tim Marks
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

had a guy at the field run over the basics using his powerlab8. it has more functions than the power lab 6. i have the charger set for dc power supply ,24 volts 38 amps.

Tim or anyone who can advise me,i purchased this charger thru progressive rc,i believe i have the settings correct and tried setting up for 2 packs to charge at same time using the paraboard from fma that costs $60.the 2 batteries are 4 cell 2200mah 20 c used today.

heres what i see on the screen from power on to start charge: hit enter on the "start charge only" screen and it reads" bad cell count node wiring fma" "push to reset" i guess I'm still on hold till someone talks me thru this setup.... no frustration now,just want to be charging my packs on this new charger instead of the old ones still.

Tim,I'll call for help Monday afternoon ,but i get home from work around 4:30...to call Howard before 3:30 is going to be difficult Mon thru friday,....not sure what the best way to go is.....i don't like the idea of trying to learn on the boss's dollar and the members at the psychiatric vocational training facility i work at as a rehab workshop aid don't even leave till 3:30 so even the phone call isn't going to be a long call. perhaps during my lunch time at 12:30 any suggestions for other references to get help would be great.

seriously would love to have a video of the power lab set up,even though the guy at the field showed me a lot of things ...theres no rewind button to hit for the reviewing and most of what he said got confusing by the end when he pulled out his phone calculator to show me rates of amp/watts/volts makes to charge ...ect..ect.

makes a person realize how the physically/mentally impaired feel when they don't understand the simplest tasks to perform at work. life is sometime complicated even for the very smart.
Hi:

This problem is a simple one. If you check the instruction sheet that came with the MPA, you'll see it tells you you must put the PL in XH WIRING MODE when using the MPA. Consult the user guide, page 60 for instructions:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1380.pdf

Did you already go through all the videos on the PowerLab 6 or 8 products video tab?

http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_video_tab.htm

May not be precisely what you're looking for, but each should give you some useful information.

Tim Marks
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i am now charging 6 batteries at the same time! outstanding!!!! i am going to love this charger for all the series and parralel setups i use in my planes.

screen now say's: "charging 4s set9.90a 4.202v" i will be sitting by the charger as always while charging. i suspect the difference will be the amount of time required to do 6 batteries.

thanks gang. Greg,i got your pm and thanks for the offer to help.funny how screening thru the menu so much has been helping me memorize how it's set up is getting easier to understand. i misplaced the instructions for the mpa board and thought it would be in the chargers instructions. of coarse it would be prudent to find those instruction now.....could have been successful sooner if i had better knowledge on the menu for locating the dc power set location in the menu,it doesn't show up as a request upon startup like the pl8 did at the field today by a fellow pilot....not sure why,but as long as juice is flowing into the packs....i'm thrilled. now to read up on the different modes of charging .

thanks again Tim,your an inspiration to all your customers and for the extra miles you'll go to help us out. guy's like me must wear ya down at times. so i hope others read this thread and decide fma/cellpro is the way to go!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

i am now charging 6 batteries at the same time! outstanding!!!! i am going to love this charger for all the series and parralel setups i use in my planes.

screen now say's: "charging 4s set9.90a 4.202v" i will be sitting by the charger as always while charging. i suspect the difference will be the amount of time required to do 6 batteries.

thanks gang. Greg,i got your pm and thanks for the offer to help.funny how screening thru the menu so much has been helping me memorize how it's set up is getting easier to understand. i misplaced the instructions for the mpa board and thought it would be in the chargers instructions. of coarse it would be prudent to find those instruction now.....could have been successful sooner if i had better knowledge on the menu for locating the dc power set location in the menu,it doesn't show up as a request upon startup like the pl8 did at the field today by a fellow pilot....not sure why,but as long as juice is flowing into the packs....i'm thrilled. now to read up on the different modes of charging .

thanks again Tim,your an inspiration to all your customers and for the extra miles you'll go to help us out. guy's like me must wear ya down at times. so i hope others read this thread and decide fma/cellpro is the way to go!!!
Quick question, did you buy the Cellpro programming cable? If so, you can program in "Presets" to exactly match the batteries you are charging, by name. You can even put your own name and phone number in the Cellpro LCD display when it powers up.

DennyV
Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Hi:

To answer your question, the Charge Control Software for the PL8 and the PL6 are virtually identical.

Tim Marks
Thanks Tim, that is good to know.

FYI that club member that picked up the Cellpro 10xP is quite happy with it. Especially after it identified an intermittent Deans connector on one of his electric models. Had that Deans connector failed in the air (and it would have) he'd have lost the airplane.

DennyV
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #13
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

Dennis my friend, this charger just worked great,very quick .....if i had that cable i would wipe out all the good work that went into programing this charger for simple guys who need a quick ,fast charger ,if i plug it into my laptop to mess with the presets thats sure to cause a charger melt down.........and at the same time fry my laptops hard drive disabling any further contact with the internet.

just kidding,but seriously i should have p/u the cable and also looked into installing the latest version software. i think there is plenty to choose from but my needs are simple and thats enough for a non complicated guy i am.

baby steps for this old man who's a technology throw back from the 60's.[i miss my 67 289 mustang,simpler times ]

i will never purchase a luxury car that has a touch screen system to operate the radio,ac,heater,gps,phone..etc..etc,,, my fist would go into the dash when my car says to program it for the simplest things and i'd crash trying to get the ac and radio to work.... my guess is those cars will equal the danger folks who text on the phone while driving.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Hi:

No reason to apologize. That's what we're here for.

If your unit is not asking you which power supply you're using on startup, and you have the CCS, you need to go to the Options Tab and click the box for "Choose Power Source at Startup". This should be the factory default, but I think currently it is not.

Tim Marks
Old 07-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #15
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Thanks Tim, that is good to know.

FYI that club member that picked up the Cellpro 10xP is quite happy with it. Especially after it identified an intermittent Deans connector on one of his electric models. Had that Deans connector failed in the air (and it would have) he'd have lost the airplane.
Hi:

Great! Glad to hear it!

Tim Marks
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #16
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Dennis my friend, this charger just worked great,very quick .....if i had that cable i would wipe out all the good work that went into programing this charger for simple guys who need a quick ,fast charger ,if i plug it into my laptop to mess with the presets thats sure to cause a charger melt down.........and at the same time fry my laptops hard drive disabling any further contact with the internet.

just kidding,but seriously i should have p/u the cable and also looked into installing the latest version software. i think there is plenty to choose from but my needs are simple and thats enough for a non complicated guy i am.

baby steps for this old man who's a technology throw back from the 60's.[i miss my 67 289 mustang,simpler times ]

i will never purchase a luxury car that has a touch screen system to operate the radio,ac,heater,gps,phone..etc..etc,,, my fist would go into the dash when my car says to program it for the simplest things and i'd crash trying to get the ac and radio to work.... my guess is those cars will equal the danger folks who text on the phone while driving.
Hi:

In all seriousness, once you get the FUIM3 and connect to the PC, you will never look back! You will be amazed at how intuitive and FUN it is to use a PowerLab with the Charge Control Software. You'll be like, "what did I ever do without this?" Trust me.

Tim Marks
Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

LOL
I also go back to the 1960's and what we had back then. Somewhere I ran across a photo of a fork lift truck placing a 1500 pound cabinet into the cargo area of a 1950's airliner.

That 1500 pound cabinet was the cabinet for an eight MEGABYTE hard drive! My PC router has a 16 Gigabyte USB drive plugged into its USB port, allowing access to it from any of three computers plugged into the router. That tiny thumb drive has 2000 times the capacity of that 1950's hard drive.

Also had a radio back then that was averaging about 15-20 flights between radio failures. Don't think I want to go back!

DennyV
Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Hi:

Great! Glad to hear it!

Tim Marks
Yeah, that airplane's motor runs at some 800 watts.

DennyV
Old 07-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #19
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

question for anyone,what setting will increase the speed of charging the cellpro powerlab 6 for charging 6 4cell 2200mah 20c batteries at the same time?

it's at 99% and has been running for over 90minutes. it's not set for cycling charge,and it's set at 2.0c with the finish voltage to be 4.20 each cell,would 3.0c be better or to much for the 20c rating of the batteries. i am hoping to charge batteries faster than this.

thanks for any suggestions. i know guys at the field using the powerlab 8 can charge batteries in as little as 20 mins. i am very happy with the powerlab 6 and am still saving time in charging packs . i also figure 99% is ok to call it finished if it charges slower and lower rate to get 100%.

i used the 4cells a lot last weekend and will be recharging again tomorrow night for Sunday. that's if the rain holds off.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

question for anyone,what setting will increase the speed of charging the cellpro powerlab 6 for charging 6 4cell 2200mah 20c batteries at the same time?

it's at 99% and has been running for over 90minutes. it's not set for cycling charge,and it's set at 2.0c with the finish voltage to be 4.20 each cell,would 3.0c be better or to much for the 20c rating of the batteries. i am hoping to charge batteries faster than this.

thanks for any suggestions. i know guys at the field using the powerlab 8 can charge batteries in as little as 20 mins. i am very happy with the powerlab 6 and am still saving time in charging packs . i also figure 99% is ok to call it finished if it charges slower and lower rate to get 100%.

i used the 4cells a lot last weekend and will be recharging again tomorrow night for Sunday. that's if the rain holds off.
I've got the Powerlab 8 which is apparently similar to your '6 charger. Check the "C/? termination" setting on your charger, per attached.

C/20 won't shut off until the charge rate drops to 1/20 the charge rate you set. (C/5 will shut off a bit quicker.)

Don't know about LiPos, but my A123 cells, once the charge rate drops below 1/2 Amp, the A123's are about done charging anyhow.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C Termination.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	161592

DennyV
Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks Dennis,i realize now i better order the connecting hardware for the computer,i was reading this page of the instructions but don't know if there's something i can access via the charger menu or do i have to make up my own preset. i like kiss,"keeping it simple stu"but may have to go further into the programing of this charger to really get the full use of it.

LiPo Generic Faster Charge
Basic LiPo preset can be used for any LiPo battery. Fuel Table is optimized for generic LiPo batteries from C discharge ratings up to 20C. Selectable charge rates include 1C, 2C, 3C AUTO or 10mA to 10.0A manual. Optimization is for faster charging with termination settings of C/10 and max of 15 min timeout for C.V. mode. This preset does not require that every cell in the battery is charged to exactly 100%. If using high C rate discharge batteries (25C and higher), Fuel Gauge readout may not be accurate and AUTO charge rate may be higher or lower than expected. Default charge rate setting is 2C AUTO. Max Auto Amps parameter is default to 6A for this preset which means that unless you alter it, this preset will not exceed 6A max charge rate during AUTO charge. Other defaults: discharge rate setting is 2A, discharge voltage 3.3V/cell.
LiPo Generic High Power
High Power LiPo preset can be used for any LiPo battery, but optimized for medium to high capacity packs. Also good for balance charging multiple LiPo packs in parallel. Fuel Table is optimized for generic LiPo batteries from C discharge ratings up to 20C. Selectable charge rates include 1C, 2C, 3C AUTO or 10 mA to 40A manual. Optimization is for faster charging with termination settings of C/10 and max of 15 min time-out for C.V. mode. This preset does not require that every cell in the battery is charged to exactly 100%. If using high C rate discharge batteries (25C and higher), Fuel Gauge readout may not be accurate and AUTO charge rate may be higher or lower than expected. Default charge rate setting is 10A Manual. Unless you create a custom preset and generate a custom fuel table, we recommend using Manual charge rate settings when charging using High Power presets. Max Auto Amps parameter is default to 10A for this preset which means that unless you alter it, this preset will not exceed 10A max charge rate during AUTO charge. Other defaults: discharge rate setting is 4A, discharge

Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

thanks Dennis,i realize now i better order the connecting hardware for the computer,i was reading this page of the instructions but don't know if there's something i can access via the charger menu or do i have to make up my own preset. i like kiss,"keeping it simple stu"but may have to go further into the programing of this charger to really get the full use of it.
Yup
That Cellpro programming cable opens up a lot of stuff, like setting up your own specific charging routines for your batteries, along with a name that you can use for that process. I've got six special charge routine stuck in my Cellpro Powerlab 8.

You can even put your name and phone number into the LCD screen when the charger powers up.

DennyV
Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #23
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Hi:

For fastest results:

1) Use the LiPo Generic High Power preset
2) Set the charge rate manually, not AUTO
3) Manual rate should be 2.2AH * 2C = 4.4A * 6 (packs) = 26.4A (provided your supply can deliver it)

The above preset already has C/10 termination and balance timeout set to 10 min. This means if it can't balance the pack after 10 min in CV mode, it will give up.

I'm thinking if your using AUTO 2.0C, that's causing slow ramp up. Try the manual settings above, it should jump up to 26A very quickly. Your charge time for all 6 packs should be in the neighborhood of 40 min. If your battery can support 3C charge rate, you could go to the max 40A manual charge rate setting when charging 6 in parallel. Since your power supply is 24V, you won't see the full 40A at the output, but you'll come close. Charge times at manual 3C setting should be 20 or 25 minutes.

Yes, it's perfectly O.K. to remove the packs at 99%. That extra 1% is probably 15 seconds in the air or less.

If you can't get good results, you could have a pack with some bad cells. Try charging 1 pack at a time and see which one is the culprit. There is no reason in the world a PL6 should take 90 minutes to charge batteries. The balance current is 1A, max in the industry.

I don't think you'll need to get into the CCS and fiddle with settings just to improve this situation. Hopefully something I mentioned above will turn on a light for you.

Tim Marks
Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks Tim,I'll give those settings a try hopefully later if it doesn't rain[ 50% chance] ,how does one know if packs can withstand the 3c setting?

i also want to thank every responder to those who supplied answerers both here and via pm. so i scrolled the posts and hit the button i often forget exists...lol...

Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

aaahhhh yes! the good old "I forgot to unplug a battery" test. i spent Friday evening working on the hogs Rx battery ,and swapped a servo on the airfoils edge foamy and set the throws/trim on it. also worked around about the shop readying for the mornings flights that never happened do to yard work and threating sky for rain that came much later.it's 10 pm and i just made this discovery.

i just went down to the shop to unplug the charger for the Rx batt in the hog and noticed the lipo still in the airfoilz...rats,more than 30 hrs plugged in and each cell was around 1.75v on this 1300mah 30c 3cell skylipo from hobbypartz.

just plugged it into the cellpro6 and it's working on it....10mins and each cell says 3.76.......i really want this battery for the edge and was getting 5min flights pushing the throttle hard. i guess it will never be the way it was,but something is better than nothing. i will report the outcome later. the charger isn't set for fast charging this battery.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers