Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)
Default Durafly Dynamic S

Whoo Hoo! HK warehouse just opened in the UK and I couldn't resist buying this Durafly Dynamic S!
Pretty much the same plane as the ST Blaze but a little cheaper.
I have to say I'm very impressed with the build quality and the rigidity of the whole plane. Hoping for a maiden tomorrow evening. Anyone out there got one of these? Any tips welcomed!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamic S.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	161499

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Well I maidened the Dynamic S this evening, despite balancing the plane on the indicated marks she was waaaay tail heavy which resulted in a most undignified landing into a corn field . No major damage, just a couple of minor dinks in the leading edge of the main wing (now reinforced with glass fiber packing tape). On a 3s 30C she's not as fast as I'd initially expected but I have to say it's really nice to cruise around at 0 power then hit the throttle for a fast vertical climb out. I may change the motor for a lower KV that I have lying around and increase the prop size and pitch with an Aeronaut carbon folder. Overall though very satisfying!

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Stratman49

Friends: (0)
Default Durafly Dynamic S

Have flown my Dynamic S twice so far. Maiden flight ended in a slight crash due to one of the wings being warped. Fortunately, the crash was more like a tumbling landing and only a slightly separated nose which I was able to glue up. Ended up having to add weight to one wing tip after taking a hair dryer and boiling water to the suspect area of the wing to take out some of the warp. Flys pretty true now with the wing weight (two pennies taped to the underside of the wingtip). Plane is a lot of fun but not a slow flyer as it does have a tendency to tip stall if you fly it too slow, even with the cg spot on. Running 2200 MH 25 and 35c batteries which give me about 5-6 min. flight times at part throttle. What's great is you can climb to altitude quickly, then shut off and glide down looking for thermals or you can "boom and zoom" climbing under throttle, then diving and recovering into another climb! The plane is great fun and mildly aerobatic for a glider, not a true hotliner but fast enough for me, a fairly new flier with most of my air time on a PZ Radian (great plane), and PZ T-28.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Arbo

What kind of speed is the airframe able to handle? Is it built tough or just sort of a warm liner?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

subscribed....

(I have the St models blaze, just wondering how this one stacks up as well..)

p.s. with lil' mods & 500watts, I averaged mid-80's (mph) lots of packing tape and balsa reinf. more like tepid-liner but loads of fun!!

cr
Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
Stratman49

Unhappy Durafly Dynamic S-Destroyed!

Well after only 6 flights, my Dynamic S sits in pieces after nosing in after a failed pull out of a high speed dive. Nose was completely torn off, prop spinner destroyed, fuse broken in half right in front of the wing, The carbon stiffeners running the length of the fuse broke and shattered at the fuse break points, the wing was torn from the fuse which destroyed the plastic mount points that were part of the fuse. The wing itself shattered along the center line where the two wing halves connect together. And I was really getting to like this plane! While I recovered all the pieces, looks like I would need to get a replacement fuse and wing from Hobby King which of course as of last check was back-ordered on both items (apparently I'm not the only one crashing this plane!). Definitely not a mechanical failure or the noted aieloron lock-out at high speeds, simply pilot error on my part.

The tail feathers were the only part to survive intact and of course looks like all the electronics (servos, ESC, receiver and motor), are intact. Not sure if I will rebuild the plane now, or at least until replacement parts become available. I did have to do a lot of work on the plane at the outset to correct some wing warp and a noticeable tendency to drop the right wing which I had to counteract by weighting the opposite side with some coins.

While it was flying, I would characterize this as a lukewarmliner, not hot for a foam based plane, it was decently quick although I have no idea what the top speed of this plane would be, I would guess in a powered dive, maybe 60 mph.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Stratman -Sorry to hear you destroyed your DS
I've had a couple of near misses diving under full power - the elevator fades out due to flexing and you need to bleed off the speed to get it back. I'm thinking of making up some balsa replacements and maybe glassing them for rigidity.
Probably cheaper to buy a whole new plane than to get spares.

Crimzon Rider - I think the two planes are pretty much identical, I think the Durafly has plastic mouldings on the tail that the Blaze doesn't.
Touching wood as I type this mine is still pretty much as new, I've just reinforced it here and there with GF tape.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Touching wood is a load of crap!

Planted the DS Nose first into the field from 50 feet up on Friday .
It was in about 6 pieces including a broken wing joining spar.

I've repaired the fuse with Gorilla glue and straightened it up with a steaming kettle. Re glued all of the carbon inside the fuse and where it had split through at the wing tips.
Just need to obtain a bit of carbon tube (square) with an 8 x 8mm interior measurement and then I can put her back together......

Definitely be changing the elevators to balsa

Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Thanks Dave, I was kinda hoping they would be similar.
Also that was the NO.1 problem I had with the Blaze was crazy tail flutter at med. speeds, on the elev. surface I just put thick CA under packing tape (doubled around top to bottom and it stiffened the response up IMO drastically.

It took a couple flights to really get it trimmed and a couple pennies on left wing tip, after that it was a dream to fly in 10-15mph wind. But like you said balsa would be best.

Sorry hear about the nose plant, I did it too but only plastic motor case mount came off. I put a Turnigy 35-42 1450 w 9x7 aeronaut, really quick, but I have cooling issues most of the time now. Its still late summer here and its been in the 110's...ugh...but starting to cool off today!

have a good one
cr
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Distinctly Autumnal here I’m afraid, far too windy to fly!
Couldn’t find any square CF tube of the right size so I used some CF rod up the ionside of the wing spars and added plenty of GF tape to the wing joint area, feels really stiff so I’m keeping everything crossed. I might get some 1mm CF and just stick it on to the existing tail surfaces to see if it improves things!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Re-maidened the newly repaired Dynamic S today, flies even better now than it did before!
I think the additional GF tape I added to strengthen the glued repairs has improved it! May look to add even more!!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes