Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)
Default X-43 64mm EDF

Since I have an affection for things that are out of the ordinary, this model was something that found it's way on the "must have" list. This EDF version that has some deviations from the true scale aircraft due to necessity. The real deal is flown at blistering speeds and with full floating tailerons. At the much slower speeds of an EDF model, they would be virtually ineffective so enlarged tailerons are used. The lifting body design has no wings per se, the elevators almost make it a delta shape. At most flight angles the model still appears like the NASA version. Not sure what the deal with the model in the manufacturer photo, it has two raised "buttons" on the top of the nose, they are considerably smaller on mine.

The model has a 952 mm length and a 600mm "wingspan". It's more like a flying surfboard with tails. LOL. A 64mm EDF and Three 9g servos, two for the flight surfaces and one for the nose wheel steering is required. I suppose it could be done without landing gear but the way the EDF unit hangs below the body I can forsee carnage on landings. Fitting retracts could be cool.

I obtained a bare airframe for experimentation. The power system consists of a 4600 KV outrunner, EDO style 5 blade fan, 40A esc and fixed landing gear as a start. Nicesky sells a PNP version with a 4300 kV motor and 30A esc so my motor should provide just a hair more power. There are no plans to make this a litteral rocket, foam airframes have so much drag that it would take monsterous power to get any appreciable speed and that's not really practical in this case. If the first power system seems to slow, I might step it up with a 4000kV outrunner on 4s. For now, the 4600 on 3s should make it a nice parkjet. The lipo tray can hold up to a 2200 mAh lipo so there's lots of room for lipos from 1300 to 2200, depending on requirements.

There's not much to the assembly, the large lifting body is all one piece with a hinged access door already installed. The rudders and elevators glue on, the nosewheel mount gets glued into place and the main gear snap into the already supplied mounts. The EDF mount below the body screws into place securely and uses an EDO stlye fan without the inlet bell. It's rediculously quick and simple to assemble. Decals are already installed, although one would think that the factory could at least put the NASA decals on straight. The supplied EDF and the landing gear are blue, I did not use the supplied EDF unit but did install the supplied gear. Since I'm not thrilled with the blue, at some point I will swap out the wheels or at least get creative with some paint. Blue parts just don't look right on a black aircraft like this. The same goes for the NASA letters on the rudders, I'll need to have another set made and applied straight. I suppose it's just another example of how the overseas manufacturers don't necessarily pay attention to the finer details. A big plus is the flat black color, it's so easy to touch up in the event of any mishap.

Here is sits, assembled and ready to go.

Weather today was crappy with a tropical wave blowing though. Lots of heavy rain and high winds so stay tuned for a maiden flight within the next couple of days.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Joe,

This is the "wow" factor ! Can't wait to see the vid and flight report ! Wonder if the servoless electric retracts from value hobby would work- $36.00

-Hawk
Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Joe,

This is the "wow" factor ! Can't wait to see the vid and flight report ! Wonder if the servoless electric retracts from value hobby would work- $36.00

-Hawk
I certainly appears as though there is enough room for servoless retracts. The nose wheel would need to retract rearward, not my favored way but it could work. There's plenty of room for the mains.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Joe is this a test version that you have if not how did you order it. On the link I couldn't find a option to purchase any of their planes. Geez I have enough planes to fly and now you post something like this to feed my addiction.

I can't wait to see a flight video, and read your report on it. Here's hoping for clear skies, and calm day's heading your way.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Joe is this a test version that you have if not how did you order it. On the link I couldn't find a option to purchase any of their planes. Geez I have enough planes to fly and now you post something like this to feed my addiction.

I can't wait to see a flight video, and read your report on it. Here's hoping for clear skies, and calm day's heading your way.
I obtained a sample airframe (no electronics) for testing. I don't hold much regard for plug and play or ready to fly packages, enthusiasts have a tendency to expect much more out of their aircraft. Once I figure out what power system gives the best overall performance, people will be able to add the recommended electronics or use their own for the best results. I sent you a PM....

Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

The maiden test hop was a success!
There was a slight cross wind, I chose to take off on the freshly paved runway in spite of the cross wind rather than use a more bumpy, older pave job and take off into the wind. The platform is quite stable, goes right where you point it, rolls are quick and precise and it flairs nicely on landing. I don't think I could ask for a better performer except for the power. The 4600 kV motor seems to me to be the bare minimum for decent flight. The next step is to upgrade the power and evaluate the results. Here is the maiden video.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Joe,
Do you have an RC store? If so, do you have a website?

-Hawk
Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Joe,
Do you have an RC store? If so, do you have a website?

-Hawk
Lots of things are on the way. A new website is under construction, there will be everything from CAD depron kits to foamy ARFs. I sent you a PM for the time being.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Cool plane. Congrats!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

I took a few more flights with a higher discharge lipo just to find out what this will and won't do as it sits. With a 2200 mAh lipo, it seems to fly reasonably well. It does bleed off speed in loops, something that can be cured with a stronger motor. Since it handles the added weight of the lipo easily, a motor upgrade should be no problem. This does look cool in the air. If it gets way out there, orientation could be a problem with the short wingspan and the all black color. This plane is kind of addicting. The more I fly it, the more I'm diggin' it.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Also forgot to include dead stick landing tests. I took it up to altitude an chopped power, the glide ratio is not bad. Just a little elevator for the final flair and greased the landings every time. This was actually pretty fun. Now to step it up a bit.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Interesting subject Joe. Looks like one of those subjects where you could do a lot of experimenting with the programmable radio. Things like elevator-throttle related trim changes, etc.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

While I'm putting together a few other fans and motors, I do want to make a slightly negative statement.

Why can't these manufacturers manufacture and include wheels that at least run true? There is nothing worse than out of round tires on a model, watching it rock and shake as you move down a runway. These things definately will get replaced, I can't stand it. This isn't the only manufacturer where I've run into this. However, whenever I purchase seperate wheels from varous venders, they all come nicely round and true. I guess it's a different level of quality control? I haven't found and other problems with the rest of the model, but these wheels/tires just plain stink.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
While I'm putting together a few other fans and motors, I do want to make a slightly negative statement.

Why can't these manufacturers manufacture and include wheels that at least run true? There is nothing worse than out of round tires on a model, watching it rock and shake as you move down a runway. These things definitely will get replaced, I can't stand it. This isn't the only manufacturer where I've run into this. However, whenever I purchase separate wheels from various venders, they all come nicely round and true. I guess it's a different level of quality control? I haven't found and other problems with the rest of the model, but these wheels/tires just plain stink.
That's hilarious. You're thinking, now what the hell am I supposed to do with these? I've bought no-name wheels with off center holes, misaligned/warped molded plastic center hub halves, and bulging asymmetric tires, all on the same tire. Useless.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
That's hilarious. You're thinking, now what the hell am I supposed to do with these? I've bought no-name wheels with off center holes, misaligned/warped molded plastic center hub halves, and bulging asymmetric tires, all on the same tire. Useless.
I guess I've been lucky when buying just the wheels as parts from MAXX products, BPHobbies and such. But yeah, one would think that at least they should be concentric. Perhaps some creative sanding might make some useable, maybe not. They would probably be useful as semi scale tire barriers for an RC car racetrack.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

One point I forgot to include. The steerable nose wheel appears to be designed for a 5g servo. The servo pocket is a noticeable amount smaller than a 9g servo, so I used a towerpro 5g servo. There's not alot of weight up front so I decided to just try it. I figured it if failed, the model would already be on the ground and damage would be minimal. So far, with 8 flights there have been no problems. Of course with my luck, now that I said that I can expect a failure. LOL.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets