Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > New Product Announcements
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

New Product Announcements Vendors post their latest and greatest products here to let the world know about them

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
trmcrft
ONEHANDRC

Club: Chain O Lakes Eagles
Friends: (1)
Default Stainless Hardware

Stainless screws, nuts, washers, nylon standoffs, T-nuts and more. Button Heads, Socket Cap, Phillips Truss, Phillips Pan, Flat Countersunk. Outstanding prices in 25 piece packages. $2.99 flat rate shipping in the ConUS. You benefit from my 30+ years of stainless knowledge & service.

Trimcraftaviationrc.com
Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by trmcrft View Post
Stainless screws, nuts, washers, nylon standoffs, T-nuts and more. Button Heads, Socket Cap, Phillips Truss, Phillips Pan, Flat Countersunk. Outstanding prices in 25 piece packages. $2.99 flat rate shipping in the ConUS. You benefit from my 30+ years of stainless knowledge & service.

Trimcraftaviationrc.com
SE Wisconsin?

As I remember at work, we had quite a bit of a problem with stainless steel nuts and bolts seizing after a period of time. We had to use anti seize compounds on all stainless hardware. One in particular was a 4-40 stainless cap screw into an aluminum die casting. That would seize so bad the screw would snap in half while trying to remove it. After the anti seize, no more problems.

Have you run into this???

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
trmcrft
ONEHANDRC

Genoa City - about 45 mins from you.

I have not had this problem and I've been selling this type of stainless for use in general aviation airplanes for 30 years. Most ALL of the screws go into aluminum or alloy nut plates. Some years back, info was circulating about dis-similar metal corrosion too. Never had an issue with it.
If the 440 screw was threaded deep into the casting, I can see where some kind of issue would arise over time.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Genoa City - about 45 mins from you.

I have not had this problem and I've been selling this type of stainless for use in general aviation airplanes for 30 years. Most ALL of the screws go into aluminum or alloy nut plates. Some years back, info was circulating about dis-similar metal corrosion too. Never had an issue with it.
If the 440 screw was threaded deep into the casting, I can see where some kind of issue would arise over time.
Yeah, it was screwed deep into the casting, Engineering made a change in the length of the screw.

Problem we had with some of the bigger 1/2 and 3/4 inch diameter hardware was it was exposed to outdoor weather including salt spray near the oceans.

Out of curiosity, what types of stainless hardware is available? Could be our Engineering department spec'd the wrong type of stainless?

DennyV
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
trmcrft
ONEHANDRC

Short answer on this one, I'll check my info tomorrow.
I can say most of it is commonly refered to as 18-8, 18% chrome, 8% nickel. It is a relatively soft material that you CAN twist the head off. It ain't no grade 8 bolt and should not be used as such! Tooth lock washers for instance are a harder material because of the job they do. Screws in 18-8 are generally a shiny material, lock washers are not do to a different metal mix. Both are corrosion resistant however. In my general aviation line, I sell some 'special' screws in stainless that are 125,000 PSI tensil strength and are used in stressed wing skins. They are positively ugly cause the color is like a burned charcoal briquet gray, but they Do Not Corrode!

Sorry for my long short answer! I will post more info tomorrow on stainless types in general use.

Gino
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Short answer on this one, I'll check my info tomorrow.
I can say most of it is commonly refered to as 18-8, 18% chrome, 8% nickel. It is a relatively soft material that you CAN twist the head off. It ain't no grade 8 bolt and should not be used as such! Tooth lock washers for instance are a harder material because of the job they do. Screws in 18-8 are generally a shiny material, lock washers are not do to a different metal mix. Both are corrosion resistant however. In my general aviation line, I sell some 'special' screws in stainless that are 125,000 PSI tensil strength and are used in stressed wing skins. They are positively ugly cause the color is like a burned charcoal briquet gray, but they Do Not Corrode!

Sorry for my long short answer! I will post more info tomorrow on stainless types in general use.

Gino
Good info!

Since you're from SE Wisconsin, you may be aware of http://www.speedymetals.com/.

This place sells all sorts of metal materials such as pipe, flat ware, angle, rounds and so on.

Nice thing about their web site, they describe the specifications and various uses for the metals they sell.

DennyV
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

You have the potential for really serious galvanic (dissimilar metal) corrosion between aluminium and stainless 'if' there is an electrolyte present. If water gets into the threads that's probably all it will take to set the corrosion off. The stainless won’t corrode but the aluminium threads will corrode severely. My day job is engineering piping systems in offshore oil platforms, which use lots of stainless, so trust me on this one. Also experience in my younger days of using stainless fasteners in aluminium motorbike parts confirms. It's especially bad if you are in a marine (salty) atmosphere because that massively accelerates the rate of galvanic corrosion.

To be honest though I don’t think it would be an issue for RC model parts because they are kept dry and as long as there is no electrolyte there is no galvanic corrosion. Also thread locking or anti seize compound prevents water getting into the threads and so reduces or eliminates the problem.

Steve
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
trmcrft
ONEHANDRC

Thank you Steve! Good information is always welcome.

Gino
Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
trmcrft
ONEHANDRC

Default SS info

Here is MORE info than you ever wanted to know about types of stainless commonly used.

Now if I could just figure out how to get it to attach -
Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Here is MORE info than you ever wanted to know about types of stainless commonly used.

Now if I could just figure out how to get it to attach -
Is this a hard copy or a web page?

If it's an electronic copy, the file format needs to match what's allowed in www.wattflyer.com. Or if it's a web page, just copy and paste the web page directly into this thread. (Like www.wattflyer.com)

If your data is not in an acceptable format, it can be converted to a PDF file which can be used just about anywhere.

DennyV
Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
CNY_Dave

I do know if you are doing a nut/bolt you are much better off with a stainless bolt and a non-stainless nut if you are not going to use anti-seize...

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
trmcrft
ONEHANDRC

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Is this a hard copy or a web page?

If it's an electronic copy, the file format needs to match what's allowed in www.wattflyer.com. Or if it's a web page, just copy and paste the web page directly into this thread. (Like www.wattflyer.com)

If your data is not in an acceptable format, it can be converted to a PDF file which can be used just about anywhere.
I think the file is too large. It's a scan of a catalog page, I'll try to change the format.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Snowdog1974

Friends: (0)

I think the file is too large. It's a scan of a catalog page, I'll try to change the format.
Here is the document that Gino was trying to upload:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stainless types.pdf (119.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I do know if you are doing a nut/bolt you are much better off with a stainless bolt and a non-stainless nut if you are not going to use anti-seize...
Well, yes and no. Stainless fasteners are much less prone to corrosion (excluding galvanic issues already mentioned) but they are very prone to galling. Galling is when the surfaces that rub against each other 'pick-up' and effectively weld themselves together: http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html

Probably not so much an issue for the tiny fasteners that we use and not a problem when the stainless screw is screwed into a different metal.. but something to watch for. In fact some sort of anti-seize compound/lubricant is more important when using stainless fasteners for this very reason.

Steve
Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Well, yes and no. Stainless fasteners are much less prone to corrosion (excluding galvanic issues already mentioned) but they are very prone to galling. Galling is when the surfaces that rub against each other 'pick-up' and effectively weld themselves together: http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html

Steve
Yup
Galling, that was the word my feable mind was looking for. We used anti-seize on all stainless fasteners for that reason.

Some of our customers specified all stainless or zinc plated hardware on all of their high voltage circuit breakers. They'd assemble the stuff and not use the included anti-seize compounds, and complain about the 1/2 inch diameter and larger bolts seizing.

DennyV
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Its common for aluminium waterpumps bolts to break off and corrode on cae engines.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > New Product Announcements