Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
walter3

View walter3's Gallery2
Club: non yet hopefully soon.
Friends: (1)
Default who makes a A4 r/c jet? anyone?

trying to see if they make the a4 as my father fly that in the navy as well as t34 and t28. ive got the t28 so........ ........ just saw some but they seem twitchy to fly. oh well.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Walt,

Ah, the A4F Skyhawk. Another iconic fighter from Douglas. Your Dad's a great American and a Naval Aviator to boot? Alot to be proud of there. I worked on F4J's.

Check out the Jpowers / Skyangels Series of 50mm edf's I have the T-45(Red Arrows version) and the F-16 both great. They have the A4F Skyhawk, F9F Panther, F-35, L-39,F-86, Mig-15 the T-33 (T-Bird), F-18, Saab Gripen, AMX, and several others.

This is a good entry level edf line-up when you feel you're ready. The T-45 in particular is very tame by EDF standards. Comes in the Red Arrows or Navy version There's a thread here on WF and a couple over on RCG.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348808

Quite a following. I'm sold on them. Sold through Hobby King, Banana Hobby(blitzworks), Toysonics, and Hobbyb in Canada. The A-4F is on my wishlist. You can find the for about $60-$70.

Hand launched/belly landers

EDF's are not that hard to fly really. At least not these 50mm models. Bigger and faster ones like the Habu or Scimitar, yes. Takes an experienced pilot.

Just have to stay out ahead them and keep them reigned-in. You can program alot of the twitchiness out of them with the proper amount of expo. They will fly better in the wind than your conventional trainer or a 2# and less park flier. Even the larger T-28.

They do get small in a hurry. I actually feel they are safer than some of my pusher profile parkjets. No prop strikes to worry about.

Our club President has T-34 Mentor. He really likes it and uses it to train. I've watched it fly and it's very nice. I believe E-flight(Horizon) has one. This plane was Beechcraft's Military trainer entry.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 08-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Alta makes a wonderful A4. It is not twitchy at all rather it is rock solid. Love mine but it is not for beginners. It demands full time attention.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/a4.htm?pS...ueryId=3784002

Mike
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
startazz

Friends: (2)

You could always try this one from Hobbyking and that is another steady flying EDF,but like rcers said it's not one of the best EDF jets to start out with but if you can handle a warbird with out to much trouble you should be able to fly an EDF like a Singer,which has a great shape air-frame to start out on.

The Stinger from HK is a really good EDF to start out on as it's real stable in the air and flies like it's on rails,the price for both these EDF's won't brake the bank either which is a plus in my book.

No matter what EDF you go for i'm sure you will be more than happy with it,plus you don't have to go for an A4 to start with as you can always go for one after you get use to how EDF's fly.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14889

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19783
Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
walter3

View walter3's Gallery2
Club: non yet hopefully soon.

wow! that stinger looks sweet! that will work! thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

GWS has a "kit" that is a really good flyer. The included (usually) EDF is NOT good though as the rotor is very weak and will not stand up to brushless power. The 6904 fan is an easy replacement though and will work just fine. This plane also has the parts to be made into a "pusher" prop which works very well also.

E-Flite has a very impressive F-4 model - but it will be EXPENSIVE when finished and will be quite a fast plane to fly.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (5)

If you are into scale models with a little more pep and vigor...there are another five
or six A-4 with fiber glass fuselage and wing spans in the 55" to 58" wingspan using
120mm edf which will let you get up to about 140mph with them. 140's terminal vel.
for either the edf or turbine powered A-4's as drag takes its toll upwards of 125mph.

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"
Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47

Jpower (skyangel series) has a 50mm version, Starmax has a 55mm, Alpha makes a 60mm, Nitroplanes markets a 64mm, GWS makes a two seater 75mm. That covers the foamies I believe... unless you want a micro.

A-4s have a roll rate that is best described as lighting quick. It also needs to be flown fairly fast, the CG needs to be spot on or it's a handful. In fact, the full scale plane rolls so quick that it is not recommended to roll more than 540 degrees or the tail starts to move around and upset both the pilot and the handling. LOL.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Again, +1 on the Jpowers Skyangels 50mm Series. Can't say enough good. A lot of fun for not much pain on the wallet. Hobbyb, Toysonics, BH, HK all sell them.

-Hawk
Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Now as an example, here is a vid of the starmax 55mm. I was unwise and chose to fly it a little tail heavy. Normally I like them tailheavy because the plane becomes very manouverable. Watch how I had to fight it for the first half a minute until I managed to get it on step. Yikes, what a handful. Once on step though, a brilliant flyer. Just pay attention to the suggested CG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0n-t2heIw0

Now here is the Jpower with a spot on CG and using landing gear. The two are virtually the same size, it's amazing what a more forward CG does with this airframe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON6Z4Fceq-g

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
GWS has a "kit" that is a really good flyer. The included (usually) EDF is NOT good though as the rotor is very weak and will not stand up to brushless power. The 6904 fan is an easy replacement though and will work just fine. This plane also has the parts to be made into a "pusher" prop which works very well also.

E-Flite has a very impressive A-4 model - but it will be EXPENSIVE when finished and will be quite a fast plane to fly.

Hillbille
That's what I hear, if I ever get around to flying my GWS.
It has an SF fan with a JS1400. My only complaint is that I prefer single seaters.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_24.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	161839  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl
Friends: (0)

E-jets
www.jepe.org

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
That's what I hear, if I ever get around to flying my GWS.
It has an SF fan with a JS1400. My only complaint is that I prefer single seaters.
What a coincidence.... I was wondering what the amp draw of that very combo is, can you elaborate?

Oh, ditto on the two seats, I sold mine because of that very thing.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  1kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Just found this thread so here is my .02. As others have said GWS does make a rather nice flying wide range flight envelope version. It is a TA-4J version so yes its a 2 seater. But there have been those that have made some rather nice 1 seaters out of them. It lends itself well to modding and detailing. I have a fondness for it as my oldest foamie in the fleet is a GWS A-4.

It can be flown from 500W to 2000W and carry the wieght well when it gets heavy. I am one that has flown it in just about every configuration you can imagine. IMHO its a good jet.

Jason

P.S. Here are a few pics of my old bird.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left_Decals.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	162895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right_Decals.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	162896  
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Looks nice Jay. It's also good that you can paint the GWS your own way. Looks so much better than having the same scheme that everyone else has.

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
What a coincidence.... I was wondering what the amp draw of that very combo is, can you elaborate?

Oh, ditto on the two seats, I sold mine because of that very thing.
Just caught this. I didn't record the figures, but from memory it wasn't much different than running something like a Don's Wicked, or similar EDF outrunner of around 4000kv on 4s on a 64-66mm fan. I used the SF rotor, but of course their tiny shaft size adapter wouldn't fit the JS shaft.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

As usual in my enthusiasm I misquoted - as E-Flite does NOT have an A-4 as their offering is of an F-4. Sorry and I will edit that reference out of the prior post - just wanted to acknowledge the mistake! LOL!!

Jay - I built two of those and bought one already built but none of mine turned out looking that good!!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Awards Showcase

Thanks Hillbille. It took alot of work and time to get it there. Not to mention alot of work to keep it looking nice over the years from all its flights and incidents. She is currently under going yet another remodel consisting of putty work, paint touch up, and cockpit re-detail.

Jason
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Jay - are you going to make AIH (Vegas) this year?

I still have a GWS A-4 in the Garage - it's in pretty bad shape though. I saved it from the dumpster thinking I would try to rebuild it as a "pusher" instead of burning through big batteries with a EDF. It needs a LOT of work though. Might give it a go - after the 1st of the year if we're all still here!! LOL!!

Hillbille

AMA884978
Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Awards Showcase

I am planning on attending. Work is the biggest ? at this point. They are saying that we are going to be starting a big job out of town in the next week or 2. Not sure if its going to be a week or 2 week job. Depends on how fast we work. So that might be the only snag.

Jason

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets