Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #51
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I have a friend who gets me dentict water syringes ,they have a curved end and a tiny hole to get into tight spots and i can leave glue in them as long as the tips sits in water.
Wow, that is a great idea! I just got a couple of those curved tipped syringes and was wondering about that. Normally I just toss the pipette and put a new one on. Thanks for the tip!

Frank

Let's Help Newcomers! << Click Here
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #52
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

I'm thinking of going with a MM Switchback. What are you guys planning to build?

And are there anymore folks wanting to join in the fun? We have about 15 folks signed up as of right now.

Frank

Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #53
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

I keep an old coffee can on the corner of my work bench. It is filled about a third up with acetone.
Every time I finish with the CA for the day, or if a tip gets clogged, I drop the tip and tip extension in the acetone and let it soak for a few hours or overnight.
I replace the tip on the CA bottle with a tip that hasn't been cut. CA lasts a long time like that.
One word of caution, while acetone will dissolve CA, it is also an accelerator for CA. After removing the tips from the acetone, let them air dry fully before using them on the CA bottle.
Using wet tips will cause the CA in the bottle to gel.
Ask me how I know.

When the CA bottles are empty, I soak them in acetone too. Now I have clean bottles for CA. I never have more than a half inch of CA in a bottle. If it spills, no problem.
Small CA bottles are great to put Titebond into. Much easier to work with the glue if it's in a small container. The regular tips on the CA bottles allow a small amount of Titebond to be applied to small areas too.

I keep the fresh CA in the freezer( sealed bottles). I've had CA last like that for 10 years.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I'm thinking of going with a MM Switchback. What are you guys planning to build?

And are there anymore folks wanting to join in the fun? We have about 15 folks signed up as of right now.

Frank
Sounds like a party now all we need is someone to break open a kit box and start building . joe
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
touche

Friends: (1)

You may save quite a few bucks on luan doors (used or damaged) at a restore center. Not sure what they call them in the US but here we have a good one and lots of stuff comes thru. I got an 18" sq ceramic tile for 25c I use for charging my lipos on. Doors ceiling tiles lighting used cupboards and counters and tops etc even paints of all kinds.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #56
aeroknot
learning by doing

I'll tag along and build a 34 inch dlg Bug - otherwise I may never get around to building it. I have most of the materials but motivation has been low...

Plans are located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ - you have to join the group to download the plans from the file area.

The plans are a modified version of the original "Carl Dowdy designed Bug Hand Launch Glider that appeared in the June 2001 issue of Radio Control Modeler magazine (RCM plan #1297)"

Attached is a screen capture of a photo sam1089 posted to the photo section of that group.

I've never built with balsa - have a hard time spelling it. The build looks very simple compared to the Switchback and all, but it's balsa.

The Mimi is another dlg possibility.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	african BUG lightning sam 1089.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	161873  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #57
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by aeroknot View Post
I'll tag along and build a 34 inch dlg Bug - otherwise I may never get around to building it. I have most of the materials but motivation has been low...

Plans are located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ - you have to join the group to download the plans from the file area.

The plans are a modified version of the original "Carl Dowdy designed Bug Hand Launch Glider that appeared in the June 2001 issue of Radio Control Modeler magazine (RCM plan #1297)"

Attached is a screen capture of a photo sam1089 posted to the photo section of that group.

I've never built with balsa - have a hard time spelling it. The build looks very simple compared to the Switchback and all, but it's balsa.

The Mimi is another dlg possibility.
Thanks for joining in the fun! I'm sure you will do just fine and you will learn a lot along the way.

Frank

Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #58
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I'll follow and help where I think I can ... over 40yrs of building models ... from balsa free-flight, control line, RC ... to todays foam and grp stuff ...

I now combine many disciplines to obtain best for what I need.

I can't subscribe as I travel a lot and the emails overload my quota.

But will say this :

a) READ and READ again the build instructions BEFORE any buidling.
b) IDENTIFY every piece ... any piece not identified - STOP and identify it before continuing.
c) MEASURE twice .. cut once.
d) BUILD to the instructions sequence ... only go outside of that for intial start items due to glue setting times etc. MAIN build sequence keep to instructions.
e) DON'T use CA for stressed / main structures - it creates break points due to its soaking into balsa / ply veneers and setting rock hard. Use wood glue - the longer drying times are far outweighed by the better joint properties.
f) Final ... make sure bench is flat, clean and free of glue / paint blobs etc. - lay out plans and pin down with clean clear plastic over ... you then build on the plan.

Tips : You need to transfer a plan item to balsa or ply to cut out.
Answer : Photocopy the item. Take photocopy, turn upside down .. place on balsa / ply piece. Take normal domestic iron and set at med to high heat. Iron the paper ... which then activates the toner print on the paper - transferring to the wood. Using fretsaw or jigsaw - cut out item.

Cheers
Nigel.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #59
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Paul,

Look what I stumbled across! http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=176

I think this just seals the deal for me.

Frank

Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #60
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

Paul,

Look what I stumbled across! http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=176

Frank
That's a nice size for an electric Hog.

If you can't find the kit, then try here for the plan.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...38&postcount=2
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #61
aeroknot
learning by doing

Nigel - great concise tips - thanks
Frank - looking forward to everyone's build and thanks for the motivation
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #62
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
That's a nice size for an electric Hog.

If you can't find the kit, then try here for the plan.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...38&postcount=2
Thanks! Downloaded for future use.

Frank

Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #63
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by aeroknot View Post
Nigel - great concise tips - thanks
Frank - looking forward to everyone's build and thanks for the motivation
Glad to help.

Frank

Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #64
Dimeflyer

Club: haven't picked one yet ?
Friends: (2)

Hope you all have a good time building and get great flying planes from the group build !!
I am swamped with the honey do list and putting in an security system in our house and garage to keep the thieves and hoods out of our belongings and home .
It's sad the way people are these days ?
They seem to think that they should be alowed to destroy or steal other peoples things and homes around here ?
George
Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #65
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
Hope you all have a good time building and get great flying planes from the group build !!
I am swamped with the honey do list and putting in an security system in our house and garage to keep the thieves and hoods out of our belongings and home .
It's sad the way people are these days ?
They seem to think that they should be alowed to destroy or steal other peoples things and homes around here ?
George
After a fast read of your post i had to look at where you lived i thought it was real close to our house .We have put motion flood lights at every corner of our home ,6 ft high fence and every once in a while our dob's catch the newbe thief and traps him inside one of the fence corners. I guess he cant read the sighns BEWARE OF DOGS . Maybe i should have put a spanish sighn up to we dont miss anyone .I somtimes cant tell witch ones is making more noise the dogs barking and snapping its teeth or the thief screaming for help.lmao
Old 08-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #66
nallaj

Thanks for the Hog plans
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #67
WayfaringDreamer

Paul,

Frank

I've been eyeing the Astro Hog as well. I like the 55 inch wingspan of that kit.

Nice!~
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #68
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

It would be nice to have a few people build the Astro Hog.
It's nice to have people building the same plane for problem solving and mutual support.
I have an Astro Hog kit on the shelf, along with the Contender and a Kaos. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #69
Dimeflyer

R.K.
What state are you in ?
If it be Pa. and your along sr66 I am about 30 miles away from you and I think I know why you are keping the dogs and fence lit up ,we started with the motionsencerlites
then the fence and dogs so they left one of the dogs out to be run over on the road
so we are going with an security video and alarm system so the psp cant say we are
seeing things any more and that we are missplaceing things because we are both over fifty years old !
Sorry about going on like this and for doing it on someone elses quarter !
I am still trying to get the CouldBeII finished as it is fighting me inch by inch as
it seems to me ?!?!
George
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #70
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
R.K.
What state are you in ?
If it be Pa. and your along sr66 I am about 30 miles away from you and I think I know why you are keping the dogs and fence lit up ,we started with the motionsencerlites
then the fence and dogs so they left one of the dogs out to be run over on the road
so we are going with an security video and alarm system so the psp cant say we are
seeing things any more and that we are missplaceing things because we are both over fifty years old !
Sorry about going on like this and for doing it on someone elses quarter !
I am still trying to get the CouldBeII finished as it is fighting me inch by inch as
it seems to me ?!?!
George
Iam in joliet IL and when we first moved here it was a nice neighborhood ,but over the last 8 years its going south. We own both sides of this duplex so we wont have to much problems selling it for some one to rent out to low income familys, government assisted.We are selling it and getting out of dodge very soon. lol joe
Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #71
RCTOYS4ALL
Steve

Club: none at this time
Default New Guy Needs Help

Ok I am new to this site and totally clueless about electric R/C fixed wing. Been playing around will a few blade heli's for a few months they are fun but fixed wing stick build R/C is what I love. 52 yo now building since I was about 8. Biggest plane I ever built was a 1/3 scale Spacewalker. Move to Fla. about 8 years ago 2 kids in college no cash to spend on R/C I want to fly again. Not plastic, foam, or what ever else they call planes today. Wood , glue, pins, and time to make it look and fly great because I made it myself. Electric, no gas , no glow fuel , make sense ! Lived on Long Island, N.Y. before I move to Fla. Most of the clubs just ran out of room to fly and the noise had a lot of impact on where we could fly. So help is what I need. I have never built anything that didn't burn fuel and make smoke. I want first electric project to have about a 36'' low wing and I want to build it not glue foam joints together and go flying in 3 hours. So anyone have any ideas? I got a sim a few weeks ago to get the feel of holding the sticks back and it is going well. I have been looking around and really don't know what to buy. Midwest and Sig where my kits when I stopped building so that is a problem. I have looked at House Of Balsa but not to much to choose from. They do have a T6 kits with a 36'' wing that is intended for electric. Feed back any other kits I should look at. I am in need of help and this site seems like the right place to get it.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #72
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by RCTOYS4ALL View Post
.... I want first electric project to have about a 36'' low wing and I want to build it not glue foam joints together ...
Steve,

There is a great thead at the top of the "Scratch and Kit Building" forum that lists lots of kit manufacturers.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14868

I have had really good luck with the kits from Mountain Models and Stevens AeroModel.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/
http://www.stevensaero.com/

The Mountain Models Eva Sport has a 40 in wing span and is a nice and easy build and flys great. I love mine.

Good luck on finding a kit that meets your needs. They are still out there, but you need to dig a little harder.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #73
Dimeflyer

RC4All
You can e-power almost any rc plan or kit and a lot of Stick-n-tish plans and kits are
doable in E-power to , you just have to keep it in mind that your going electric and
need to make alowance for batteries and motor instead of IC engine !!
some plans tell you in advance they are for either and some are for E,IC,CO2or
Rubber power and most rubber powered plans are able to handle all 4 even if they don't
say so !!
George
Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #74
RCTOYS4ALL
Steve

Club: none at this time

Thanks , the eva like a good choice. Not flying for all this time the sport wing and the 3d option will help ease back into fixed wing. Change the wing for increase performance and start to test my limits.
Thanks again guys,
steve
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #75
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
It would be nice to have a few people build the Astro Hog.
It's nice to have people building the same plane for problem solving and mutual support.
I have an Astro Hog kit on the shelf, along with the Contender and a Kaos. Decisions, decisions.
I'm in for the 'Hog Paul. Let's build it! What do you say?

No pressure of course.

Originally Posted by WayfaringDreamer View Post
I've been eyeing the Astro Hog as well. I like the 55 inch wingspan of that kit.

Nice!~

Come join in the fun! Three folks building a 'Hog? I think that may be some sort of record.

Frank

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions