Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
pianodood

Friends: (0)
Default My PPP - park flyers purchasing progression

Hello everyone. New to the site, here.

After years of pondering, I've finally made the time to get into RC flying. I've had the hobbyzone champ for a few weeks now. It's been quite a little blast. Now I've picked up a hz super cub. Looking forward to that.

When I was younger I was heavy into RC cars, and took great pleasure in upgrades and modding. I'm wondering, in terms of park flyers, if the parkzone t-28 bnf would be a good next step as something to have a little workshop fun with.

Ultimately in 2013 I will be flying with the local RC club, but in the meantime I live close to a huge park, which sits right next to a high school track and soccer field. I'm blessed with airspace!!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Welcome to the addiction here on WF. A plethera of knowledge from a lot of experts, myself not included!

I followed the same basic progression a little over a year ago except for the Champ. Started with the HZSC. Well, actually started with the Airfield Cessna 182 but really was not ready. Still have both planes and have heavily modded out the SC with 2.4, bigger wheels, ailerons, etc.

My third plane was the PZ T-28. A great second or third plane. Easy to fly but has more performance. In fact, I had not flown it in about a year and took it out to the field the other day. I was reminded that it was a bear to fly in a heavy breeze. and a lot slower now than what I thought then.

I just ordered a new motor (2820/07) and a 50amp esc from Headsuprc to soup her up. Pimp my ride !

There are several other T-28 versions out there now. FMS/Airfield has a nice one as does the HK Durafly. All the bells and whistles( Flaps/retracts/ lights, cowl flaps, door sequencing, etc). Cool stuff but also more to worry about. Great deals out there !

If you're flying off a grass field and the grass is somewhat thick, forget the retracts. They snag and break very easily.

The T-28 is an excellent choice IMO. Can't go wrong.

Have fun! and keep sending us good beer and hockey players !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
pianodood

Haha thanks so much. The one high school has a track where I've practiced countless touch an go landings as well as landing / take off, with my champ.

That T-28 will likely keep me busy, as will modding the SC.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
piercethesky

Welcome to the addiction indeed I have been lurking for a long time and finally made an account here.

I agree with the "other t28 models" out there. The parkzone is an awesome plane but the price is quite steep. I have only owned the parkzone t-28 and hobbyking durafly t28 and for the price, the durafly is where my money is at. It comes with all the bells and whistles but like hawk said above, more to worry about.

If you are confident in your ability to work on the plane if an issue arises, I would grab the durafly t28. If you are sort of on your own and dont have a ton of experience, the more basic pz version might be a better option for you. Obviously this is just my opinion.

Does your SC have ailerons? If not, I would also look into that for a great high wing trainer. Toss a park 480 on with the aileron wing and you have a nice aero(acro?)batic high wing trainer. The floats/nav lights are also quite cool!

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing what you decide to do!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
pianodood

Thanks for the suggestions, Pierce. Definitely going to look into the Durafly. I have a fair amount of experience in all facets of modelling, so I'm not too concerned with a little work at the bench.

As far as the SC, after a few weeks of enjoyment I was definitely going to dive into an aileron project. If I can go a few weeks without letting the anticipation of the project consume me.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Piano,

There are several good youtube build logs for the SC mods. They helped me immensely.

Like Pierce mentioned, it really does become a different airplane. I have the floats and they work nicely. I keep this around for float flys. I did mine in a Susan G Komen "fly for the cure" scheme:

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
pianodood

dahawk: that's an excellent idea, and looks great.

I've spend hours upon hours on youtube, it's probably going to be the result of me going broke purchasing the planes and mods i've seen on there. The specific video image you linke is in my favorites!!! I will definitely refer to those videos for tips.

I've heard mixed review on the effectiveness of ailerons for aerobatics. I'm more interested in just getting the feel of aileron/rudder combined flight, but just for the sake of asking, how do they perform aerobatically? Are barrel rolls possible? I was just expecting the plane to be underpowered for that stuff.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Piano,

What I did first was bought a spare wing cause I was going to take out the dihedral. Not that easy. Got some out but not all. Better.

I upgraded the motor with a 2220/10 from Headsuprc and 40amp HURC esc. Need a new mount for this but they having a complete upgrade package bundle. Take off roll is now about 2 feet ! LOL She rips. Had to add more rubber bands cause I thought I'd fly the wings off of her.

Great for learning coordinated turns. The problem with the 3 axis Cubs is that once you've established final and get low and slow, the tail no longer flys. You reach a point of no return and it's hard to make any corrections with the loss of air speed.

Yes, it will roll. Make your ailerons big enough. I made mine 1.75" deep.

-Hawk

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
pianodood

Awesome information, here!! Thanks a bunch! I'm inspired now to totally copycat you!!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
hapbob

Default Champ=Park Flyer...Super Cub?

Hello
I have had Champ for the summer and can do about everything with it....I fly in my large back yard...2-3 Acres...Next plane Suggestions welcome....I want more plane..Like a super cub? but Want to keep fly zone in my back yard....I still think I need a plane that will go slow but can go faster?...I Have the Dx61 radio already...so plane that I can bind to that is also in the future? Can I fly Super Cub in my back yard and what are Suggestions to next plane.. Thanks in advance.
Hap
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
pianodood

2-3 acres should be ample, space for a SC. I fly mine in a park next to my home that's a highschool track with additional field beside it.

It's a fun plane, and an excellent trainer.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers