Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
walter3

View walter3's Gallery2
Club: non yet hopefully soon.
Friends: (1)
Default which jet is the best for a novice pilot?

just looking for suggestions. i want to make an informed choice. stability over speed at this point. thanks, walt size?

PZ- t-28 ultra micro. (first r/c plane!)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

No doubt you will get many differing opinions on this subject, and that is great.

Here's mine: The 50mm edf F-86 Sabre by Sky Angel (sold by Banana Hobby and Hobbyking among others, is a very stable flying plane. It is not too fast, not too expensive, reasonably tough and easy to repair. There are other planes in that series that would do, as well. The first edf I flew was the 50mm F-18. It flies GREAT, but is hard to maintain orientation because of its size and color scheme.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

I should ask, however, how much of a novice are you? If you can fly a low wing prop plane, such as the PZ T-28 or Wildcat, you can probably handle the 50mm edfs with little problem. If this is your first plane, DON'T BUY AN EDF!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
piercethesky

Friends: (0)

If you want stability.. I would go with the Horizon hobby mig15 with the as3x gyro stabilization system. It can be slowed down to a crawl or have some decent full throttle passes. Now, its not going to win any speed races but it is hands down an awesome performing little plane.

I also enjoyed the 35mm skyangel f86. If you want stability at low speeds.. It has it out of the box lol. It is quite slow as they come but can handle a nice breeze without too many bad tendencies.

Just starting out I wish I would have started with the micros and worked my way up instead of the other way around lol. Less to worry about damaging, doesnt break the bank, not nearly as intimidating and since they are smaller, they have less mass and when you crash, they normally dont require a garbage bag to get them home
Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
piercethesky

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
No doubt you will get many differing opinions on this subject, and that is great.

Here's mine: The 50mm edf F-86 Sabre by Sky Angel (sold by Banana Hobby and Hobbyking among others, is a very stable flying plane. It is not too fast, not too expensive, reasonably tough and easy to repair. There are other planes in that series that would do, as well. The first edf I flew was the 50mm F-18. It flies GREAT, but is hard to maintain orientation because of its size and color scheme.
Theres that skyangel f86 again I never had the 50mm so I couldnt recommend it but if it flies anything like the 35mm, I would go with that one as it will give you a bit more surface area and better visibility and all that fun stuff. Here is the 35mm f86 at hobbyking, plug and fly in the U.S. warehouse for around $55.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
walter3

View walter3's Gallery2

thanks for the suggestions. as you can see from my avatar i have the ultra micro t-28 and fly it flat out with little to no concern. i am doing basic rolls and loops and feel very comfortable skimming the ground doing low level fly bys. lol. just ordered a small motor upgrade so i think the edf planes will be a blast. thanks for the heads up on plane models. walt

Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

You will want a bigger faster prop plane first IMHO. The little T-28 might not teach you what you need to know for EDF's speed is your friend.

The little Mig from Horizon would be good if you must go right from the T-28 to and EDF but even it requires more speed than the t-28.

Mike
Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
walter3

View walter3's Gallery2

yes i was thinking about getting a bigger prop plane first for sure. i just know ill want a edf at some point and its niceto have the info in the back pocket when shopping. nothing like the classic impulse buy! lol. thanks. walt

Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Might consider a Stinger 64 from Hobbyking or an F86 from Hobby-lobby.com They were both my first EDF and they are always a rollercoaster to fly

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Walt,

I'm a fan of the JPowers/ Skyangels 50mm and have the T-45 and F-16. The T-45 is known as the easiest to fly of the fleet. I love it. They have quite a few different models ( A4, F-18,F-22 Gripen, F-35, Katana, AMX, L-39, T-33, F9F Panther) . Banana, Hobbyb(Canada), Toysonics and HK sell them. Flew them both today and had a lot of fun. There's also a thread here on Wattflyers: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...=64211&page=11 and a couple more over on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...348808&page=79

For what its worth, If I had an extra $100 laying around I'd jump all over the Phase 3 F-16. Only has elevons but thats enough. Hobby People was having a sale today. $79.00 ARF including motor and esc. Servos extra. A couple of guys I know have it including the club President and rave about . I've seen it fly and it's sweet. The 64mm Stinger is nice too. Fishbonez is the resident expert on the Stinger and I know he likes it a lot.

Another option is to build your own profile," prop in the slot" foamie Pusher Parkjet. I've made several of them and they perform as well, if not better than my edf's IMO. My F-22 prop in the slot will fly circles around my T-45 edf. Much more maneuverable. Lots of free plans out there. Get some Dollar Tree foam board, hot glue, a motor, esc, a few horns, rods, etc. and your in business. Just a thought...

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

And out of left field!....

If you're looking for something different, and stability over speed, see if HobbyKing still carries the F4d-1 Skyray. A scale 50's Naval fighter that's pretty much all wing. In it's stock form, it'll barely outpace a SuperCub, but it can almost hover, too. This thing is super easy to fly!

My only hesitation is if you're going to ROG, the landings can be tricky if the wind is acting up, because it just wants to keep flying.

Here's a link to an RCG thread on the Hobby Lobby version, it's essentially identical.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...i+lobbi+skyray
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
startazz

Friends: (2)

I'd say go for a stinger EDF jet from Hobbyking as they are very stable and will fly slow if need be too,but like rcers said you might want to think about going to a larger faster flying prop plane first,as some of these EDF jets will eat the sky up a lot faster than what your use to when flying your micro T-28,don't get me wrong theres nothing wrong with the micro planes as i have a couple myself.

Why not go for a bigger version of your T-28 first as i'm sure you know there are a few out there to choose from,like the one from PZ,FMS and the Durafly one from Hobbyking as this one has all the bells and whistles on it as standard,like flaps retracts and LED lights and cheaper than the others,plus the bigger T-28 will fly a bit faster than the micro and you will also need to fly it in a bigger area in the sky,like you would an EDF jet depending on what EDF jet you go for,from all the other good post theres a lot to think about before you start down the EDF road,but once you do you will get hooked like the rest of us boys who feel the need for speed,i just had to get that in didn't i.

What ever you decide at least you did the right thing by asking first,you could save a good bit of money and heart ache by taking some good advice given here in this thread,good luck and let us all know what you decide ok.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22858

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19783
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
walter3

View walter3's Gallery2

i think i will get the larger t-28 first. i love my micro and do really want the bigger one. my father flew them in the navy so it means more to me in that way. walt.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
You will want a bigger faster prop plane first IMHO. The little T-28 might not teach you what you need to know for EDF's speed is your friend.

Mike

+1. Get the feel for a faster prop plane before you dive into ( no pun intended) an EDF.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post

The little Mig from Horizon would be good if you must go right from the T-28 to and EDF but even it requires more speed than the t-28.

Mike
That's the right idea, in terms of preparing for what a jet will fly like, in comparison to a prop plane, and training for it.

Get a prop plane an add an extra pound of lead to raise the stall speed. The jet may not have a ridiculously high stall speed, but they often land fast, simply due to not having the 5 miles needed to bleed off speed on approach. Next set your elevator throws so that you have almost nothing, and also slave the elevator channel to the throttle, so that when at low throttle, you have even less than almost nothing in terms of elevator travel. Next make a little roller track in the plane with a lead ball, with a very light spring such that when you get into a dive, the lead ball overcomes the spring and rolls forward, really putting you into the dive, making it even more difficult to climb out of, finally allowing the spring to reposition the ball after getting level again.

Obviously that info is not to be taken seriously, but it does mimic the idea of what the jet will fly like, in comparison to a prop plane.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
bassfisher

After flying for many many years, I would suggest you get really comfotable with a faster, more aerobatic prop plane before getting into EDFs. Im not takling about a big 3D bird but maybe a Stik or something close to it. Being new to EDFs, I would highly suggest the HK Vampire ARF. It is not super fast, handles like a trainer, and loves to float to landing. I have about ten flights on it and really liking it. And the price will not bust your wallet.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

You might consider mounting a ducted fan on a Slow Stick. It's been done and flown.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Myself a newbie ot edf's earlier this year I can recommend two easy, " entry-level" edf planes:

1) JPowers Skyangel 50mm T-45. Very easy to fly ~ $65.00 PNP Toysonics, BH, Hobbyb, HK. There's a whole series in this warbird collection. Many threads here and on RCG.
2). Phase 3 F-16. Very easy to fly- ~ $80. ARF. Need to add 2 Servos. Hobby People.

Another altenative is to build a profile, "prop in the slot" pusher Parkjet out of Dollar Tree foam. Oodles of free plans out there. Get a Grayson Hobby V-2 package with 30 amp esc, 6 x 4e prop , some horns and rods and you're good to go. I've built 5 of them and they will make you a better RC pilot.

If you have the correct setup, they're not difficulolt to fly. Lots of expo to help with the built-in twitchiness. Very managable and not intimidating.

Good Luck !

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I've flown loads opf stuff from WW1 Biplanes through to Oh My GAWD !! pylon stuff ...........

I have to say I must have the sweetest EDF models I ever saw ... I've tried Funjets .. all sorts but I get back to these two and I enjoy every single second of them.

For medium speed and ultra stable with a little more size to the model : Lanyu 64mm T45 ... unbelievably stable and a baby to fly.
For smaller and faster but still amazingly stable for it's size : Jpowers 50mm T45.

I am amazed everytime I fly these for their stability and flight. I flew Glow powered DF's year ago and they were prayers with wings .......... todays EDF's ? Amazing.

Big EDF models are fine - but demanding. The smaller ones just seem to fly out of the box .... that Jpowers 50mm being the best I reckon. They combined an excellent motor and a good plastic DF unit into just about the right size airframe. Ditch the wheels ... hand-launch ...... ENJOY ........... go home with BIG BIG SMILE !!

Do you need another plane before it ? The 64mm Lanyu - no I reckon you'd be OK ... the 50mm ... maybe as it's a bit more responsive.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Another altenative is to build a profile, "prop in the slot" pusher Parkjet out of Dollar Tree foam.

Hawk
I was gonna recommend this, too. The F-22 is prolly the best of the bunch. You can buy a nice mini F-22 kit from Pat at Nico Hobbies. I LOVE this plane!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I have to disagree ........... an EDF is completely different ball-game to a Pusher prop / Prop slot job.
One has positive air-flow - other relies on speed.

That makes for a big difference in turns and climb-outs.

I fly both ........... they are really different.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
Brick
small Member

Originally Posted by piercethesky View Post
If you want stability.. I would go with the Horizon hobby mig15 with the as3x gyro stabilization system. It can be slowed down to a crawl or have some decent full throttle passes. Now, its not going to win any speed races but it is hands down an awesome performing little plane.
one of my favorites...and pretty easy to fly. still gotta know all the basic stick movements
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

View Angler-Hi's Gallery20
Send a message via Yahoo to Angler-Hi
Friends: (40)

Like Mike said earlier, I would go with another prop plane that is faster than what you have been flying. You need to become confident in flying planes at higher speeds. Speed is usually a defining characteristic of most EDFs. With an EDF, you have a faster and more manueverable bird. Because of this, you have less time to react if something goes wrong. Such as loss of orientation, plane being too sensitive to inputs (over correcting). Then you have your landings. Most EDFs will require faster speeds when landing, depending on the design of the model. Not all EDFs are capable of dead-stick landings.

Work with faster speeds and build your confidence and skill set. THEN, move on to an EDF. Good winds friend.

Mike

The best teacher in the world is experience...now go fly something already
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm no expert and only fly what I can afford / scrape together !

I have Biplanes big and small ... low wing prop, high wing prop ... EDF 's and pushers.

I have mentioned earlier that the 50mm T45 EDF is a sweetie and with a sensible 3S Lipo on stock setup will fly nice and is not too much for a RC pilot who has good trainer background.

After considerable number of flights and comparing my models ... I have to say that my view is now : Lanyu 64mm T45 .... it is so stable ... it has size so it's not a small model to get out of sight too quick, it's not a fast machine as stock - so will not frighten. It's an all-round good machine that has potential to be hotted up as pilot gains skill.
For anyone looking at this .. forget the factory spec LiPo .. what it needs is a 2200 3S 25C or better C rate ...

Each time I fly this - I walk away with a beaming smile on the face ... it is just so forgiving for an EDF. It doesn't seem to follow the rules ... with the wing area - it floats in to land dead stick ... see my Youtube channel for various on this baby ...

All I can say ít is a very under-rated model ...

Nigel

Old 10-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I have the Jpowers T-45 and it's very tame. So is the Phase3 EF-16. In the Jpowers warbird line I have the AT-6 Texan and the Rare Bear, both of which are faster than the edf's I have. With the warbirds, I had to apply 70% expo as they were a lot to handle in terms of twitchiness. But my easist flyer has got to be my Dollar tree foam cheapie F-22 pusher . It's made me a better pilot. You can make one for less than $75.00

I consider myself an advanced beginner, maybe at the intermediate level at best. Can do most of the basic maneuvers included inverted. The trick to the edf's , especially the small ones, is to stay out in front of them. Things happen faster.

Good Luck !

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets