Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Prof100
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 847
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (1)
Default Eagletree Guardian -- The ultimate 3 Axis gyro

Tired of being blown around in a lightweight plane wind?

Want to have a panic switch to level out your plane when get into a bad aerobatic position with your plane?

Do you take aerial videos or stills but have a hard time keeping your plane level?

If you said yes to any of the above questions consider buying a lightweight Eagletree Guardian that has a 3 axis gyro and some remarkable programming that's hard to compare to anything else on the market.

From the manual...

Main Features
The Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer has two main modes of operation: 2D Mode and 3D Mode. While in flight, a spare switch on your radio lets you switch between 2D (wing leveling) mode, 3D aerobatic mode, and no stabilization. Imagine performing a difficult 3D maneuver with ease, then just flipping a switch to instantly return to level flight! Note: Please see the Tuning Stabilization Gains section for note on preventing damage from re-leveling too quickly.

Price is $75 MSRP and since it is new the Guardian is on backorder with no discounts.


I bought two and have them installed on a Superfly and a FFF delta.


Bill
Prof100 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
dditch66
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 161
View dditch66's Gallery2
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

This is the best 3axis system I've tested to date
Big thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644
more info on where to get and other choices:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
dditch66 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Prof100
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 847
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by dditch66 View Post
This is the best 3axis system I've tested to date
Big thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644
more info on where to get and other choices:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
Yes, those are two excellent links. Melnics mycoolrc.com site is superb.

Bill
Prof100 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Beemerider
Member
 
Beemerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley Of Virginia
Posts: 393
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Club: Augusta County RC Club
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

I have absolutely NO experience with flight gyro systems. I have ordered a simple(?) and inexpensive device from HobbyKing after seeing it demonstrated on one episode of Flite Test. It was called an i86 Stabilizer. Seemed to do a pretty fair job stabilizing a simple airframe for a camera's benefit. But the device was pretty inexpensive (about $25 w/shipping) so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Other than price what would be the difference between these two devices?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...974&aff=247441
Beemerider is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
Prof100
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 847
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I have absolutely NO experience with flight gyro systems. I have ordered a simple(?) and inexpensive device from HobbyKing after seeing it demonstrated on one episode of Flite Test. It was called an i86 Stabilizer. Seemed to do a pretty fair job stabilizing a simple airframe for a camera's benefit. But the device was pretty inexpensive (about $25 w/shipping) so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Other than price what would be the difference between these two devices?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...974&aff=247441
That's a good little 3 axis gyro. It is the same as the Eagle A3 plane stabilizer. Enjoy.

The instructions are a bit clumsy and inaccurate. I tried attaching the Eagle A3 instructions that are accurate but it's a PDF. You can download them from Goodluckbuy.com.

Bill
Prof100 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,496
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 217 Times in 213 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Here's the new kid on the block. Ex British Aerospace Engineer living in Thailand. I know him from another group:

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/products.htm

$50.00 !
dahawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
matiac
What, me worry?
 
matiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westerly R.I.
Posts: 339
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

That's what I'm gonna get for my big Jug, along with a different radio/receiver...gonna go Hitec for that...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
matiac is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Prof100
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 847
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Here's the new kid on the block. Ex British Aerospace Engineer living in Thailand. I know him from another group:

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/products.htm

$50.00 !
Thanks for the link. Isn't competition great?

Bill
Prof100 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,496
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 217 Times in 213 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Love a free market society ! This one for $50.00 colors in all the squares IMO
dahawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
simibill
General Factotum
 
simibill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Simi Valley,CA
Posts: 1,155
View simibill's Gallery34
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (19)
Friends: (10)
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Love a free market society ! This one for $50.00 colors in all the squares IMO
Well, I ordered one. Anxious to see how it works.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
simibill is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Prof100
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 847
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
Well, I ordered one. Anxious to see how it works.
Make sure you post your results.

I have four Guardians and two installed in inexpensive planes. Both are elevon planes but one has a rudder. I keep sneaking up on the right combination of gain settings and servo throws. I think I found it today with increased heading hold and increased pitch and yaw gain. I just flew the plane in winds varying in direction and speed. The plane was rock steady. It's amazing.

Bill

Bill
Prof100 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Prof100
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 847
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (1)
Default

Here is a video of Guardian installed on elevon delta with rudder.

Enjoy.


Bill
Prof100 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 6,439
View solentlife's Gallery47
Thanked 277 Times in 274 Posts
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (15)
Default

Me - I'm waiting for HK to get more of their $17 stab's in stock - then I'll buy a bunch of them.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
solentlife is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,496
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 217 Times in 213 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
Well, I ordered one. Anxious to see how it works.
Let me know how it goes. I have no vested interest outside the fact that Mark M.is a friend on LinkedIn. My boss Bud Layne, an old friend of Carl Goldberg and master scratchbuilder just ordered after reading the specs.

-Hawk
dahawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 6,439
View solentlife's Gallery47
Thanked 277 Times in 274 Posts
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (15)
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Let me know how it goes. I have no vested interest outside the fact that Mark M.is a friend on LinkedIn. My boss Bud Layne, an old friend of Carl Goldberg and master scratchbuilder just ordered after reading the specs.

-Hawk
In 1980's - I built the Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk ... with HB70 motor .... what a model !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
solentlife is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #16
ICE-MAN
ICE-MAN Pro
 
ICE-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

BL-3GRC ICE-MAN Gyro V2.0 s/w now out..

Check out the user manual and PC set up s/w before you buy. http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downloads.htm
ICE-MAN is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
n_jepson
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Horley, Surrey, UK
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

This guardian unit looks very good ... has anyone tried it in 3D mode for prop hanging/hovering ?
n_jepson is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #18
rampage-1
rampage-1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

The ultimate 3 Axis gyro
The Guardian was the ultimate until last month. A new kid on the block just went screaming by with all the features and benefits it has to offer.It's called EAGLE A3 SUPER 3 AXIS GYRO SYTEM Made by EAGLEHOBBY.
I have been using gyros of all types for over 25 years in helicopters and planes. Some cheap ones some very, very expensive ones.
The new EAGLE A3 Super that just came out is the same price as the Guardian, BUT THE A3 SUPER DOES A LOT MORE ..Last week they just released firmware Ver2 Which IMHO put them way ahead of the pack with regards to 3 axis/3 accelerometer units.

The Eaglehobby company make several different units. So now you get to pick watch model works for you
http://www.hobbyeagle.com/
rampage-1 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Panther
Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 303
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by rampage-1 View Post
The ultimate 3 Axis gyro
The Guardian was the ultimate until last month. A new kid on the block just went screaming by with all the features and benefits it has to offer.It's called EAGLE A3 SUPER 3 AXIS GYRO SYTEM Made by EAGLEHOBBY.
I have been using gyros of all types for over 25 years in helicopters and planes. Some cheap ones some very, very expensive ones.
The new EAGLE A3 Super that just came out is the same price as the Guardian, BUT THE A3 SUPER DOES A LOT MORE ..Last week they just released firmware Ver2 Which IMHO put them way ahead of the pack with regards to 3 axis/3 accelerometer units.

The Eaglehobby company make several different units. So now you get to pick watch model works for you
http://www.hobbyeagle.com/
Try and get a response from their Techs when something goes wrong. It doesn't happen. Mine is now in the bin.
Panther is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
rampage-1
rampage-1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Try and get a response from their Techs when something goes wrong. It doesn't happen. Mine is now in the bin.
Response from what Techs? I don't understand the statement-Eagletree Guardian or Eagle Hobby A3Super
There is 6,915 posts on the subject on RCG with regards to the Guardian for guys trying to figure it out asking questions.

The A3Super only a few.
By a quick comparison - The people buying the Guardian seem to be clueless on how to use it.
And
A3Super- the guys buying Eagle A3 either know how to use it or they don't post questions to their problems
rampage-1 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
Panther
Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 303
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

The Guardian is fine even though my first one failed and it was replaced by EagleTree, the second one is excellent and their service team is great.
The A3 Pro I have worked OK for a while and then started playing up and 3D mode drives the sevos to one end as soon as it is switched over. Don't tell me I don't know how to set it up as I have several gyros and I have gone through the proceedures a dozen times trying to eliminate the problem. I contacted Tech Sevices via their site and they couldn't even respond so why would I buy another Eagle product. I won't. As I said, it is in the bin. Yes I would buy another Eagletree Guardian but wouldn't consider a A3 Super because their support stinks.
Panther is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
rampage-1
rampage-1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
The Guardian is fine even though my first one failed and it was replaced by EagleTree, the second one is excellent and their service team is great.
The A3 Pro I have worked OK for a while and then started playing up and 3D mode drives the sevos to one end as soon as it is switched over. Don't tell me I don't know how to set it up as I have several gyros and I have gone through the proceedures a dozen times trying to eliminate the problem. I contacted Tech Sevices via their site and they couldn't even respond so why would I buy another Eagle product. I won't. As I said, it is in the bin. Yes I would buy another Eagletree Guardian but wouldn't consider a A3 Super because their support stinks.

I was not even talking about the A3pro -But if you know how to set it up and it does not work I would pitch it. Electronics, they work or not work. It's the ones that are intermittent that are a pain. A3pro is not even in the same league as the Guardian and not even close to the A3Super. It's like Hobby King Orange good for foamy's.
rampage-1 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Panther
Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 303
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

I know what you were talking about and I suggested that Eagle Hobbys' after sales service stinks, and to me it does. There isn't any. A3 Super is made by the same crowd so because of my experience I wouldn't buy one of their Gyros again. The A3 Pro worked every bit as good as the Guardian when it was working so if you are comparing it to the Orange then you don't know what you are talking about. I have 2 of those primitive things as well. Personally I will go for the ArkBird next.
Panther is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
rampage-1
rampage-1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I know what you were talking about and I suggested that Eagle Hobbys' after sales service stinks, and to me it does. There isn't any. A3 Super is made by the same crowd so because of my experience I wouldn't buy one of their Gyros again. The A3 Pro worked every bit as good as the Guardian when it was working so if you are comparing it to the Orange then you don't know what you are talking about. I have 2 of those primitive things as well. Personally I will go for the ArkBird next.
I have tried the ArkBird---Good luck with that one. The one I have not tried, is the Bluelight BL-3GRC ICE-MAN Gyro System
I was making the comparison on the two to show it was like comparing Apple and Oranges.
And if it worked -Your Eagle A3Pro as good as your Guardian as mentioned it did. I would say it is defective and time to move on.
I have three Guardian's mounted in similar planes and are you ready for this one-Wait for it--------They,all three, fly different. That's right all programmed the same, same firmware update, same,same,same, yet they all fly different. It's not a big difference but they are different. I even switched gyro's between planes to make sure.Yep,they are different.
I like the Guardian, but they lack one important feature that I like flying warbirds and jet's with, which that the Eagle A3 Super has. That feature is, to be able to take off in HH mode and being able to switch to rate gain mode while in the air. HH mode allows you to track a straight line down the runway even in a 20kt crosswind. It even makes landing a 50cc GeeBee easy. It even makes old guys, like myself, that have been flying for over 45 years still look good. Even in my prime I don't think I could track a GeeBee 50cc gasser down the tarmac in a straight line 10 out of 10 times. I belong to three clubs and some of the members call using a gyro cheating-go figure. But these are the same guys that can't even program their transmitter do to they haven't read the manual. But, with that being said, I guess if I flew in a contest with a gyro it might be cheating. But hey, 30 years ago if I flew my 14mz radio in a contest against the old Kraft radio made then-Would that have been called cheating?
One item I forget to mention, do to I don't fly 3D any more. The Guardian when in 3D mode and say you are in a hover-if you move a stick it will release your hold. With the Eagle A3 Super if you are in 3D mode HH and while in hover you can move your aileron stick and spin the plane like a top--it does not release the vertical hold like the Guardian. Guardian's manual does not mention that one and the tech's do not respond to the question. That's right they do not respond to why, when you move one axis in 3D HH mode it releases the other axis.
rampage-1 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.53204 seconds with 66 queries