Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default #16 Keychain camera question..

I'm new to using any camera with rc. Bought one of the newest(?) keychain cameras, a #16. Also bought the "WingCam" from HobbyKing. The #16 I attached to the wing on my Slow Stick today. I was pleasantly surprised with the video quality from a under $40 camera. I haven't tried the HK camera yet. I got quite a bit of picture "wobble" when under acceleration. Not really vibration but more like waves in the video. When gliding with the prop windmilling it's much reduced. The camera was pointing about 45 degrees to left of the prop so some of the prop is still visible in the video. I'm still downloading today's videos otherwise I'd post a link to show the effect. Wondering if this wobble or picture wavering is a result of the prop spinning in the field of view? Next flight I plan to experiment more with camera placement.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I'm new to using any camera with rc. Bought one of the newest(?) keychain cameras, a #16. Also bought the "WingCam" from HobbyKing. The #16 I attached to the wing on my Slow Stick today. I was pleasantly surprised with the video quality from a under $40 camera. I haven't tried the HK camera yet. I got quite a bit of picture "wobble" when under acceleration. Not really vibration but more like waves in the video. When gliding with the prop windmilling it's much reduced. The camera was pointing about 45 degrees to left of the prop so some of the prop is still visible in the video. I'm still downloading today's videos otherwise I'd post a link to show the effect. Wondering if this wobble or picture wavering is a result of the prop spinning in the field of view? Next flight I plan to experiment more with camera placement.
Yeah, if the prop is visable in the camera field of view, you will get strange horizontal bars in the video play back. Also, if the camera is getting hit by the prop blast, that can add to the problems.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Beemerider

Here it is. From what I've been able to understand is that the "jello" effect comes from vibration. My first task will be to balance my prop. Can I program my esc to "brake" my prop on "throttle off"? Just riding thermals would make for interesting video I hope. I need to learn how to edit these videos too. Sorry 'bout the hairy arm.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
pianodood

Friends: (0)

The prop is likely more visible if you're recording @30fps or higher. If you have an option to shoot 24,25 or 29 it's likely barely visible, if at all.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Panther

My cam is the #16V2 with D lens. Check this vid and you can compare your prop. There is no other jello effect. I just velcro mine to the wing. I deliberately incorporate the section of glider in the video as it adds stability to the picture especially when it is a gusty day. This was shot with a storm approaching.
https://vimeo.com/54428844
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Beemerider

That really looks good. I've had mine since the summer(not sure if it's the V2-probably not) I think I want the D lens though. One thing I do know -- I just did some Christmas video recording of the family with both the #16 and the HobbyKing wing cam. At least for indoor use the #16 is superior.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Panther

The D lens only gets the fisheye look if the horizon is at the top of the picture. I have an #11 model as well and don't use it anymore. The #16 V2 can be easily programmed with a GUI interface and can give video out, time lapse, motion detection and can be used with FPV too. The quality beats my JVC cam hands down. Love it. Mounting it on my PC9 next time I take it out. A and B lenses are available. They do need good light indoors as with any tiny lens. You should be able to apply braking to your ESC. Most are equipped with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Balancing your prop will help a lot.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Panther

I produced the jello effect today. I mounted my cam on the tailplane of my Trojan so it was not real secure. I also had some significant aileron flutter at speed due to my Gyro having too much gain. Had to land to fix that. In the opening shot you can see the small patch of velcro the cam sits on at the tailplane.
https://vimeo.com/56580209
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Beemerider

That was nice!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Panther

thanks Beemerider, The second vid is a little better after adjustments were made.

https://vimeo.com/56627591
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Club: Propsnappers
Default keyfob camera vibration problem solved

I bought one of those HD key fob video cameras off EBAY and results were initially dissapointing. But, like you, I noticed the fuzziness effect was mostly under power and when in glide mode with prop windmilling things looked pretty good. But that was also with the camera mounted directly (w/velcro) to fuselage or wing. So I took some foam tape (I think it was originally bought as truck cap liner tape) which is about 1" wide and put a piece under the fuselage and another small piece under the win, then put velcro over the foam tape. Problem solved! The videos with the camera mounted direct to the fuselage with the key fob camera were bad enough that I never posted them to my photo site, but you can see a couple here that I made after I resolved the issue. THere are also several GoPro videos there too and due to the weight of that, I have directly mounted the GoPro (without any housing on) under the fuselage using 3M "Dual lock" tape.

BTW, given your name on the forum here, you might recognize a few of these. Made the switch to a Vstrom last spring, but have a couple hundred thousand miles on Beemers!

Cheers,

Don
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Beemerider

Oh wow--beautiful bikes! Yeah I've got a 2004 R1150R waiting on me to get on it again. I've not ridden since 05/10 when I got hit with a pretty rare illness--Guillian Barre Syndrome. Spent near 2 months unconscious and 10 in hospitals. Hoping to ride again this May.

This is a somewhat lengthy list of pics but in there you can get the gist of my life these past 3 years. Towards the end it shows my current BMW (blue one) and also the one previous (silver) which I totaled in 11/07. I think there's a pic of that as well.

I recognize some radio gear. My call is N4EYZ. I think we have a little in common!

http://s113.beta.photobucket.com/use...orker/library/

edit--the picture order is not quite accurate--When I made the folder I tried to put things in order--past to present--didn't quite work out that way. Last 3 yrs have been kinda exciting!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Club: Propsnappers

Oh wow--beautiful bikes! Yeah I've got a 2004 R1150R waiting on me to get on it again. I've not ridden since 05/10 when I got hit with a pretty rare illness--Guillian Barre Syndrome. Spent near 2 months unconscious and 10 in hospitals. Hoping to ride again this May.

I recognize some radio gear. My call is N4EYZ. I think we have a little in common.
Sorry to hear of your illness. Hope you're well on your way to better times. I had a challenge this past year myself... A heart valve replacement. I haven't been doing much with amateur radio lately. Sold off my big yaesu HF rig to purchase my dx8 and a bunch of rc stuff to get going.

Anyway, insulating the key fob camera with some foam tape made my videos usable! The GoPro has image stabilization and doesn't seem to mind being direct mounted via the dual lock tape.

Cheers,

Don
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Beemerider

Thanks--no worries! All in all it ended up (or still is!) as a good experience.
No more climbing up and down towers and working in miserable temps and conditions. It's all good. It'll be better when I can walk without stumbling!

I understand a bit about the heart valve replacement surgery. Sat thru that with my Mom twice. And I've been thru a couple MI's myself in the past 13 yrs. Growing older is not for the faint of heart. And it builds character.

Flying rc has been a great hobby since not being yet able to ride. Carrying the small camera on board the plane has been a lot of fun and makes some fascinating videos. I love the quality the Go Pro offers and I've considered one but considering my current piloting abilities I'm not yet ready to strap a $300 camera to one of my planes. I've been playing with the #16 a bit and actually my 2nd just arrived in the mail--a #16v2 with the 120 degree lens. Going to try it out tomorrow. I found balancing my props very carefully made a very big difference in the jello effect (vibration).

btw--what's your call?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

use those camera a lot. mount with velcro. it helps take a lot of vibration out of it.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #17
Panther

Since you now have your #16 V2 there is a thread that may interest you. A GUI has been developed by Isoprop that enables all sorts of adjustments to be made to your cam.
You must read it carefully and follow instructions to the letter. Your new cam will already have the bootloader in it and I used the 0.49 AVI update but you can use MOV if you want to. Once installed it only takes a few seconds to change any of your cameras settings. These little cams have far more features than what you may be aware of. eg time lapse, motion detection, just to name a couple.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

This thread was moved to enable a better moderation of postings to here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777846
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #18
Beemerider

Thanks--I'm familiar with that forum and actually have asked a question or two. I am very impressed with the new #16. I've taken two videos so far with it, one was with it on one wing tip and my old #16 on the other wing tip so as to compare the two. Soon as I get around to downloading them I'll post a link. I will forewarn you that my video editing skills are non-existent so far.

Thanks!
Wayne
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
darkfire3814

did you get it fixed?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Beemerider

Originally Posted by darkfire3814 View Post
did you get it fixed?
Was your question for me?

If so......fix what?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

I am very impressed with the new #16.
Me too! Just got mine yesterday - it's got the big lens (120 degree??). Slapped it on a plane this morning and tried it out. It was way too windy for a steady video (15-25 mph, est.) but the picture quality is great.

Many times I've tried following other planes around, hoping to get them in the video image, but it hardly ever works with the standard lens cameras. This should work much better!

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #22
Beemerider

I have the standard and one with the wide angle lens. But right now I've misplaced the latter. CRS again!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #23
dgjessing

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #24
Beemerider

Looks great! Is that the wide angle lens?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
dgjessing

Looks great! Is that the wide angle lens?
Yeah. The video quality is amazingly good (the little YouTube screen doesn't do it justice at all).

Dave
AMA #56519

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography