Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Heli8159

Friends: (0)
Default Charger question

I have been out of the hobby for a while and have a triton charger and some new 22 volt lipo battery packs. The charger shows 14 volts when plugged into a battery. 22 volts when new battery is plugged in. It charges for a minute at .1 amps and says it is finished. Is this charger capable of charging 22 volt batteries. Do the chargers just step up the voltage from 12 volts to the higher voltage by increasing the current to get the batteries charged?
Am I over thinking this?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

There have been about a dozen different chargers with Triton in the name but I can't remember one that is specified for 6S (22.2V) batteries. IIRC the original only went up to 4S (14.8V) and the current Triton 2 does 5S (18.5V).

Chargers do indeed boost the input voltage but only within limits. If it doesn't say it will do it all the way up to sufficient for 6S packs then it probably won't .

Steve
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
nidly

When I started in this hobby I remember getting my first charger 959 superbrain because it was a great bang-for-buck deal. I was in the lhs and saw a Triton for the fist time. It looked pretty cool, but after reading some of the manual for over 5 minutes I decided that I'd NEVER need "all those function" and furthermore didn't know what half of them were anyways. Little did I realize I'd learn to use that complicated thing and read the complicated manual too.

I remember Red started writing a "Triton for dummies" book because the manual was so unfriendly. Unlike myself , Red fully understood everything the charger did and why. [:o] I did get one and got accustomed to the manual so that it became my favorite charger for a long time. I still prefer the original manual. Here's some info on the different Tritons that I have found after getting everyone of them. They are my favorites , maybe not the best bang-for-buck out there.

Triton original came out with unheard of features and accurate lipo and li-ion charge routines that many were completely unfamiliar with.
Triton green dot was the same with a few bugs fixed. Lipo memory bug and delay at start bug when "changing current on the fly".
Talk of a new Triton was in the air, many thought it was an upgrade.
Triton JR came out with lower power and options removed , but a great little deal in a small package.
Triton JR came out with ability to disable timer , many complaints about that timer.
Triton 2 came out with the same power 90 watts as the Triton , a new knob, 7 amp max instead of 5 amps and ability to charge Lipos at 7 amps instead of 2.5 amps. A few menus changed around too, but all in all it is nearly the same.
Equinox balancer comes out.
Triton EQ comes out that operates identical to the Triton JR , but with AC power, more lipo cell capacity and balancing.
Triton 2 EQ comes out that operates identical to Triton 2 , but with AC power and balancing AND more power.

I can't wait for the Triton ZX, it should be the best one yet and looks like a Dual unit. Still waiting though for over 3 years now.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
nidly

The triton and triton 2 and triton EQ series all have a max of 39 volts for output.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

So why do the specifications for the Triton only say up to 4S lipos and the Triton 2 up to 5S ? The EQ is the only one that will do 6S even though the 39V you claim should get you to at least 8S, maybe 9S.

Confusing to say the least - Steve
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
nidly

I have no idea why. The T-2 does coincide with the equinox balancer though. You're right though, you're stuck with the EQ series if you want to do 6s.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers