Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #1

Friends: (4)
Default Turnigy 9x safe min. Operating voltage?

Whats the Turnigy 9x radio 's safe min. Operating voltage ?

Mine now shows 9.2 v.....

Thanks

-- Kris
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Has it started to beep, yet? I think the threshold may be 9 volts (not positive), then it beeps at you. I'm using a LiFe rechargeable battery in mine. It maintains a charge for WAAAYYYYY longer than AA batteries.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #3

Default Re: Turnigy 9x safe min. Operating voltage?

Has it started to beep, yet? I think the threshold may be 9 volts (not positive), then it beeps at you. I'm using a LiFe rechargeable battery in mine. It maintains a charge for WAAAYYYYY longer than AA batteries.
Thanks. Does the LiFe rechargeable battery need a mod of the radio, can u give me some how to?

-- Kris
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
earthsciteach

The short answer is, I'm not sure. How's that for being definitive? LOL!
I sent my Turnigy into ParkeFlyer.com for the upgrade to ER9x, the rechargeable battery and backlight on the LCD screen. Its very much a DIY thing, but I was afraid I'd screw it up!

I'll email Parke and ask him if it is a direct drop in. From what I can see, it is. He provided an adapter cable to plug the balance lead of the battery into the two pin connector on the TX.

The 8 AA batteries have a nominal voltage of 12v. I think the LiFe has the same nominal voltage, or very close to it. I'll get back to you on this when I get an answer.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
earthsciteach

Here's a link to the website and battery. It looks like a straight drop-in, but I emailed Parke to make sure. I've had mine for at least a month and a half and haven't had to recharge, yet.

http://parkeflyer.com/9x-batteries/9xbattery.html

Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
The short answer is, I'm not sure. How's that for being definitive? LOL!
I sent my Turnigy into ParkeFlyer.com for the upgrade to ER9x, the rechargeable battery and backlight on the LCD screen. Its very much a DIY thing, but I was afraid I'd screw it up!

I'll email Parke and ask him if it is a direct drop in. From what I can see, it is. He provided an adapter cable to plug the balance lead of the battery into the two pin connector on the TX.

The 8 AA batteries have a nominal voltage of 12v. I think the LiFe has the same nominal voltage, or very close to it. I'll get back to you on this when I get an answer.
LiFe and A123 cells have a voltage of 3.60 Volts per cell right off of the charger. At four cells, that's 14.4 Volts DC. Or, three cells is 10.8 volts DC.

When you put a load on these cells they drop down to about 3.3 Volts DC. So, four cells is 13.2 Volts DC, and three cells is 9.9 volts DC.

Might be that four cells is to much voltage, and three cells is to low of a voltage?

A simple 12 Volt DC regulator would do it, but that's extra stuff to worry about.

IMHO, I'd just put in Eneloop Nih cells. These cells hold their charge for a Loooooong time, and are a simple converstion.
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage3.htm

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
earthsciteach

The one in my Turnigy is a 9.9v, 1800 mah battery. My voltage is currently at 10.1 volts. At 3.6v fully charged, that's 10.8 volts. It holds that voltage for a LONG time with regular use. And that's well within the operating parameters of the 9x.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

I use this battery in all 3 of my Turnigy transmitters.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...SMITTER/Detail
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
nidly

Friends: (0)

I have heard repeatedly that 7 volts is about the absolute minimum. This article seems to indicate that using well over 7 volts is a good thing? Maybe not. http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2011/...-9x-radio.html

My new liFe pack has been good so far (no recharges) and I'll recharge it when the alarm goes off at 8.9 volts. Most of the voltmeters are off on my turnigys from .5-1 volt. (they read too high) and I expect to have lots of remaining capacity when I re-charge the liFe pack. Batttery is about $8

My new Lipo has also been good with dropping .1 volts just about every 3rd flight or so. I'll recharge it at around 11 volts and see the remaining capacity. It really should be a better option at 2620 mah vs. 1500 for the liFe. Battery is about $10
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

The 9x will comfortably run on a 2S lipo. With open source firmware, you can calibrate volt reading and set the alarms to whatever you want.

I've run (8) nimh, 2S lipo and 3S life they all work fine.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Over counter NiMH cells (2300mAh) ...

Futaba M series trickle charger +
ProLux auto charger with Futaba format plug

I charge my radio after each use - but I also know that I can have about 9hrs continous use of my Tx without trouble on these ...
I carry a spare set of AA's NiMH (2300) in my flight box ...

Never seen the point of changing a working system.

As to OP about the Voltage - yes the 9x is not good on display voltage .. the true voltage is average 0.6v or more higher .... To be honest I ignore it now as I know what my AA's do ... and if I do push the limits of time - the alarm tells me ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by nidly View Post
My new liFe pack has been good so far (no recharges) and I'll recharge it when the alarm goes off at 8.9 volts. Most of the voltmeters are off on my turnigys from .5-1 volt. (they read too high) and I expect to have lots of remaining capacity when I re-charge the liFe pack. Batttery is about $8
Uh Oh.

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!

These A123 and LiFe battery packs have a very flat voltage discharge curve. Those I've tested on my Western Mountain Radio CBA battery analyzer shows only a 1% drop in voltage between 80% and 15% charge.

After that, the voltage drops off like a cliff. You might not have enough battery power to get your model safely back on the ground.

Take a look at the attached JPG of an A123 cell tested at 0.5 Amps (500 milliamperes) I've had similar results on a LiFe battery pack.

IMHO, you are far better off topping off your A123/LiFe battery every so often. If you have a charger that shows total milliampere hours, it's easy to do. These A123/LiFe batteries are very efficient in their charging process. If you discharge the battery by 950 milliampere hours as an example, it takes about 1.05 times 950 or 997 mah to recharge it.

These A123/LiFe batteries hold their charge for a LONG time, better part of a year. And it doesn't matter much if you store them at 100%, 50% or what ever charge.

And, as a personal rule, I NEVER discharge any of my A123/LiFe batteries past about 75% of capacity. Just because. You might have a bad day, fly to long, and loose a model.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A123 Tests one half amp - WF.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	162127 A123 test at 500 ma

DennyV
Old 08-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
nidly

Excellent post and graph. I had requested one (on some forum I can't remember) because I am not familiar with the LiFE cells graph shape. I'm comfortable with a comparison between the round ones and the rectangle ones and was just plain too lazy to do a graph. I want one at 200 ma with my exact pack , but it is too late.

Let's do some math and calculate how much time I have. It's 1500 at 200 ma estimated. Looking very closely at the "knee" on your graph. In fact I may just do a graph when it's cold outside. For now My alarm goes off at 8.9 volts which is about 9.3-9.4 volts actual (with the discharge current applied)

One thing is for sure the voltage drops VERY SLOWLY just as you say.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
nidly

1500/200 = 7.5 hrs and for me that is a MAX of 30 flights. Heck , I'm probably already there , but in viewing your graph I should be ok even at 9 volts. I have no way to tell how much capacity is used as I use it up (other than maybe count my time)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
earthsciteach

I have a hard time accepting that there is an "edge of the world" cliff that my TX will fall off of.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

One thing is for sure the voltage drops VERY SLOWLY just as you say.
Yup, very slowly during the discharge cycle, but at the end, the voltage drops like a big brick.

DennyV
Old 08-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I have a hard time accepting that there is an "edge of the world" cliff that my TX will fall off of.
LOL
Maybe your TX won't fall of the cliff, but your model could.

DennyV
Old 08-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

1500/200 = 7.5 hrs and for me that is a MAX of 30 flights. Heck , I'm probably already there , but in viewing your graph I should be ok even at 9 volts. I have no way to tell how much capacity is used as I use it up (other than maybe count my time)
Just a note. If your charger does not have a LCD display of the Milliampere Hours put back into the battery, you can simply put one of those wattmeters like the Astroflight or similar wattmeters between your charger and the battery. That will show exactly how much you took out of the battery during a days flying.

IMHO, these wattmeters are kind of required when you do any playing around with this electric stuff.

DennyV
Old 08-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #19
earthsciteach

Bah, that's why I fly foamies!

Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
nidly

Yea, I can view the charge replaced , but not the charge used up "on the fly" so to speak. I checked those cells tonight before flying and I think they were 3.3 volts , nd I think I had the TX turned on at the time. Have a hard time remembering because I did the Lipo TX too. It was about 3.87 or 3.89. On the LIPO TX I can see the voltage go down about .1 every other flight or so , but those flights are 25 minute usually.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #21
nidly

Bah, that's why I fly foamies!
Same here , but I surely don't want to lose one. I have no problem with landing as soon as the alarm sounds. My alarm will catch me if I screw up and don't check stuff. It sound with timer and/or TX battery voltage. Too bad I can't use it on the LIPO one.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Yea, I can view the charge replaced , but not the charge used up "on the fly" so to speak. I checked those cells tonight before flying and I think they were 3.3 volts , nd I think I had the TX turned on at the time. Have a hard time remembering because I did the Lipo TX too. It was about 3.87 or 3.89. On the LIPO TX I can see the voltage go down about .1 every other flight or so , but those flights are 25 minute usually.
Yup, that's the point on these A123's and LiFes. The charge "replaced" is very nearly equal to the charge "used up on the fly".

So, if you "replaced" 940 milliampere hours after a lot of flying, that indicates you used up "on the fly" very close to 940 milliampere hours. Actually, it would be 940/1.05 or 895 mah or so. And, 895/2300 indicates that 39% of the battery was used up during your flights.

DennyV
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

This subject always amazes me how people worry ...

30 yrs ago - we flew 500mAh packs in our Tx's and models ... we flew all day. If we were at a weekend fly-in with 2 days flying - we beg stole or borrowed a field charger. I actually had one I bought !! Or we fitted 1200mAh pack to model.
You could charge actually of the Glow-Plug engerizer circuit on you power panel as that pulsed 12V to ignite the glow plug.

Today ? I have 2300mAh NiMH in Tx .. and lipo's in model. If I need to charge .. my B6 charger with 12v car lead will charge 8 AA Tx, 4.8v packs in my gasser, all my LiPo's ... whatever .. even my glow starter ...

I actually feel more comfortable knowing my batterys have just been charged than relying on some long-term set - that one day may just catch me out that one or more cells are not playing game anymore ...

I have to admit that my main concern over charge capability and run-time is more for model flight time than not having to charge a Tx ... (even though my 2300 NiMH will keep flying for hours without need for charge, will hold charge as well ... no need to pay Eneloop prices !).

My thoughts anyway ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
nidly

Only thing we worry about is running out of battery and not having enough time to land , right?

I'd like to run it like I run the fuel gauge in my car. When it need filled fill it. I never want to run empty and I like to use the most capacity I can. The ability to do this necessitates having good accurate info on 3-4 items.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #25

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
The 9x will comfortably run on a 2S lipo. With open source firmware, you can calibrate volt reading and set the alarms to whatever you want.

I've run (8) nimh, 2S lipo and 3S life they all work fine.
If I ever use one of these I 'd prefer the 2s Lipo since I don't have to change the Battery Type since I always charge the plane's Lipos ( 3s 2200 11.1v) in BAL CHRG mode in my icharger 206b.

When I am tired I might make mistakes LOL, having to worry about the BAT TYPE setting ( ie LIPO vs LIFE) is an extra headache...imho.

Is this a good point from a safety perspective?...thx all1

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros