Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by celticflyer View Post
OK group, I have Spektrum DX7, what should the min. cutoff voltage be on my esc be set? CC ICE 50 (5 amp bec) preset to 3volt per cell.
I guess the real question would be, what is the min. power for Spektrum RX
You are confusing two things that are unrelated. One is LVC = low voltage cutoff and one is BEC voltage out.

To directly answer your questions - some of the older Spektrum RX's would start to show issues near 3.8v cutoff most now are 3.5v or below. You should not even come close to those numbers. I never use a value below 5v. In fact I use 5v to 6.5v depending on your servos. The higher the voltage the better - as long as your servos can handle it.

The "LVC" cutoff has NOTHING to do with the BEC. That depends on your cells. Most high "C" cells (anything above 20c) I set in the Castle controllers to cut at 3.2v. However I NEVER fly to LVC rather I use a timer that I know brings my cells down between 3.7-3.8v/cell resting voltage. This saves batteries...

On another side note - the Castle BEC's in the ICE controllers are over-rated IMHO. I lost a valuable ship to an ICE 75 with a 5 AMP switch mode bec. It only had 4 digital servos in it - but it was too much for the Castle BEC. Due to that loss - I now run only separate SBEC's or my preference 2s LiFe battery packs.

Just a warning on the Castle BEC! I have watched others go in as well. I normally have great confidence in my Castle stuff but the ICE BEC's are not worth it IMHO.

Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #27
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

OK group, I have Spektrum DX7, what should the min. cutoff voltage be on my esc be set? CC ICE 50 (5 amp bec) preset to 3volt per cell.
I guess the real question would be, what is the min. power for Spektrum RX
My Spektrum AR7000 receivers all reboot at 3.2 Volts DC. So, in theory, that would be the minimum allowable voltage. The CC ICE BEC is normally programmed to about 5.0 Volts DC, I'd just leave it there.

But in the real world, if you allow your multicell LiPo packs to drop down to 3 or 4 volts DC output voltage, you'll likely damage the LiPo cells, permanently.

Question, how many series cells do you have in your LiPo packs, or what is their voltage rating?

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
celticflyer

Friends: (0)

OK guys, First of all I really appreciate all of the input. My setup is:
42" AJ SLICK
Omega 103 gr. motor
4 12 gr. servos (MG) (NOT DIGITAL)
2200mah 30c 3 cell

I've been using an EMAX value 50 and have noticed some strange issues.
After two separate rough landings, no plane damage, just flops in the grass,
My motor sounded like it didn't want to run, kind of the same sound as you would get with a loose prop. After cycling the throttle a couple of times it was OK.

As far a battery goes, I never let it go down beyond 10.9 volts
6 1/2 min flights usually keep it 11.1 to 11.3 volts and that is my timer set.

John
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I am so leery of the ICE BEC I am not sure I would use it even on 4 standard servos!

But suspect you should be fine especially since it is a small model. Some of those no-name budget servos really suck the juice!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I am so leery of the ICE BEC I am not sure I would use it even on 4 standard servos!

But suspect you should be fine especially since it is a small model. Some of those no-name budget servos really suck the juice!
That's interesting.
Do you have any information about field problems on the ICE switching power supply type of BEC?

Two club members have this CC ICE on their models, and they've had zero problems.

DennyV
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
That's interesting.
Do you have any information about field problems on the ICE switching power supply type of BEC?

Two club members have this CC ICE on their models, and they've had zero problems.
Two of us lost models within a week both on ICE 75's and 4 mid size digitals. I was curious so used my servo sense and measured those servos in flight. I was never able to get above 3 amps of peak usage. I measured those servos on the ground at stall they pulled around an amp each. So that's 4 amps - well within the 5amp limit. Besides in flight - I never peaked more than 3 amps.

I was running 5s and my buddy was running 6s. AGain well under the 8s capacity of the ESC.

I have the Hitec A9 and watched as my telemetry voltage alarm went off (5.5v). Startling considering I was running it at 6.5v!!!!

As soon as the alarm kicked - I prepped for landing and never made it - well I did "land" but it was not pretty.

I am a bit at fault - as I had another telemetry warning the week before and thought it was a fluke. Ummmm NO....

Enough "field" tests for me. Search RCG - I am not alone.

Mike
Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #32
celticflyer

Is the ICE ESC at question or the on-board BEC
If it is the BEC that's an easy fix.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #33
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Two of us lost models within a week both on ICE 75's and 4 mid size digitals. I was curious so used my servo sense and measured those servos in flight. I was never able to get above 3 amps of peak usage. I measured those servos on the ground at stall they pulled around an amp each. So that's 4 amps - well within the 5amp limit. Besides in flight - I never peaked more than 3 amps.

I was running 5s and my buddy was running 6s. AGain well under the 8s capacity of the ESC.

I have the Hitec A9 and watched as my telemetry voltage alarm went off (5.5v). Startling considering I was running it at 6.5v!!!!

As soon as the alarm kicked - I prepped for landing and never made it - well I did "land" but it was not pretty.

I am a bit at fault - as I had another telemetry warning the week before and thought it was a fluke. Ummmm NO....

Enough "field" tests for me. Search RCG - I am not alone.

Mike
Good info
That's why on my two giant scale models, the primary receiver power is a CC 10 Amp uBEC, and the backup power is a two cell 2300 Mah A123 battery pack. Two 10 Amp silicon diodes are inserted in the A123 pack to drop the voltage down below the set voltage of 6.5 Volts on the uBEC.

So far after two years of flying, its been flawless. I do have an on board alarm that flashes if the battery drops below 6.0 Volts DC. This alarm also shows just how low the battery voltage dropped. The little microcontroller checks the battery voltage some 4000 times per second.

DennyV
Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #34
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Yep that was the crash that caused me to go to LiFe cells....

Mike
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #35
John C

Default Spektrum Capacitor

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the use of a capacitor to bufffer the BEC for transient low voltages. Spektrums are 47 mf IIRC. I've just added one to a GP Stearman with a Castle Thunderbird 36 and four HS65s with which I believe has been subjected to two browouts (but no crashes).

The same setup in an electrified Herr Lil Extra and 9 gram servos has had no issues, but I added a capacitor to it as well. Both are using AR500 Rx's.

Haven't flown with the capicators yet, but hope to Friday.

John C
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #36
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

It will protect against a very short transient, but not against, say, a stalled servo drawing a lot of power.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #37
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Here we go again - caps will solve your issues!

Sorry man - but caps DO NOT solve low voltage issues.

While they likely do no harm - they simply do NOTHING for improper voltage supplies. Period.

The Spektrum caps are intended for use in cars who race on carpet. Not made for solving low voltage issues.

Mike
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #38
Neko

So i'm re-entering the sport after a long break. I have a DX7 that's about 4 years old. Should I worry about it? Are the newer ones more reliable?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #39
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Neko View Post
So i'm re-entering the sport after a long break. I have a DX7 that's about 4 years old. Should I worry about it? Are the newer ones more reliable?
I HAD two DX7's that were about 5 years old. Got one new in box DX7 for $175 including a receiver. That NIB DX7 was my spare for five years. So, this year I bought a DX8, and sold the NIB DX7 to a club member.

Still have the original DX7, it has never had a problem. FYI, I sent in that original DX7 along with six Spektrum receivers to Horizon Hobbies last winter for a "check over". Horizon completely tested them, returned them, indicating all was OK. The very unexpected item, Horizon returned them at NO CHARGE, they even paid return shipping!

A club member did have an issue with his DX7 this past summer, the throttle stick pot inside the transmitter got a little noisy. HH repaired it at N/C. But, the club member wanted next day return, so that cost $25.

So, if you have any concerns about your DX7, you can send it to HH for a check over, "Just in case".

DennyV
Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #40
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Uh Oh
Don't know how I missed that one. I've got two giant scale models that use a pile of Hitec 645MG servos. Also have a $350 Fluke 87V digital meter that can measure peak currents with one millisecond response time. Accuracy of that meter is better than 0.1% on DC current. I've also double checked those results on my Tektronix 2236 oscilloscope with a precision current shunt.

Each of those 645MG servos pulls a peak current of 2.1 AMPS, while just moving the transmitter stick back and forth. All seven servos pulled a peak current of 14 Amps, just by moving the transmitter sticks back and forth. So, it's quite possible your four digital servos pulled more current than the CC 5 Amp ICE BEC was rated for.

One very good option would be to use both the ICE 5 Amp BEC, and, the Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC. They need to be isolated from each other with a 9 Amp Schottky diode. If you don't do this, the two BEC's might interact and cause problems. That will give you dual DC supplies to your model with very little added weight. And, it also eliminates maintaining the receiver battery.

The wiring would look like this:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67094

Schottky diodes are not available from Radio Shack. Here is one supplier of them. Digikey sells to anyone with a credit card. I've ordered a LOT of stuff from them over the years.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...Q035-ND/358618

The current rating of this diode is not an issue. It's rated at 9 amps continuous, and is also rated for repeating peak currents of less than 10 milliseconds duration at over 100 Amps.

(PS, that club members BEC setup with dual 100 Amp CC ICE ESC's performed flawlessly. Only problem is the two fans were pulling near 150 Amps each at full throttle. A full 90 Amps over the fans specifications. Third flight, the ESC's overheated, shut down, causing an off field crash. The CC ICE ESC's showed a peak internal temperature of near 300F at the end.)

DennyV
Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #41
Neko

So, if you have any concerns about your DX7, you can send it to HH for a check over, "Just in case".
Thanks, much. Good to know.

Neko
Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #42
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Thanks, much. Good to know.

Neko
No problem, check out this thread:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65573

DennyV
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #43
celticflyer

I bought a CC Phoenix Ice 50 with a 5 Amp Bec
I took notice of the comments and warnings(thank you all) but it was on its way and I thought I'd still like to try it.
One thing I noticed was that the literature that came with it said that I could go up to an 8 cell lipo. BUT-- DO NOT USE THE ON-BOARD BEC with anything larger than a 3 cell.
Advice that I will remember.

John
Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #44
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I bought a CC Phoenix Ice 50 with a 5 Amp Bec
I took notice of the comments and warnings(thank you all) but it was on its way and I thought I'd still like to try it.
One thing I noticed was that the literature that came with it said that I could go up to an 8 cell lipo. BUT-- DO NOT USE THE ON-BOARD BEC with anything larger than a 3 cell.
Advice that I will remember.

John
Don't understand the 50 Amp CC ICE ESC. It doesn't appear that CC makes a 50 Amp ICE ESC.

The older Phoenix ESC's (NOT ICE) did use a linear voltage regulator, and their BEC can't be used on more than two or three LiPo cells.

Take a look:
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf

DennyV
Old 09-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #45
celticflyer

Don't understand the 50 Amp CC ICE ESC. It doesn't appear that CC makes a 50 Amp ICE ESC.

The older Phoenix ESC's (NOT ICE) did use a linear voltage regulator, and their BEC can't be used on more than two or three LiPo cells.

Take a look:
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...nix-ICE/Detail
Sorry to disagree, I have one with a switching 5 amp bec
Old 09-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #46
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...nix-ICE/Detail
Sorry to disagree, I have one with a switching 5 amp bec
OOOOOPPS!

I was looking at the Phonix HV ICE's.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros