Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
texasclouds
Super Contributor

View texasclouds's Gallery472
Friends: (12)
Default Zeke's Park Scale Models Daddy-O

Have any of you tried Zeke's Park Scale Models?

Does he have good kits?

This one caught my eye, the Daddy-O:

http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=62

I read the online manual, I think with care a beginner like me could handle it.

Price: $54.00
Length: 28" (71.1cm)
Wing Span: 35” (88.9cm)
Wing Area: ~210 sq.in. (13.5
dm˛)
Weight: 10 oz. - 12 oz. (283g - 340g)
Wing Loading: ~8.5 oz/sq.ft. (.25 kg/m2)
Recommended: ~24g brushless motor
Power System

Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

View Angler-Hi's Gallery20
Send a message via Yahoo to Angler-Hi
Friends: (40)

Looks like a sweet little plane. I've always wanted to try my hand at a kit and plans...like you said, it looks like a good starting point for someone new to this part of the hobby. Definitely a change of pace from the ARFs I'm used to.

However, reading the other thread about his site, I'm not sure I want to risk ordering one and not getting it, or my money.

The best teacher in the world is experience...now go fly something already
Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Looks like a sweet little plane. I've always wanted to try my hand at a kit and plans...like you said, it looks like a good starting point for someone new to this part of the hobby. Definitely a change of pace from the ARFs I'm used to.

However, reading the other thread about his site, I'm not sure I want to risk ordering one and not getting it, or my money.

from what i've read searching on this forum, it may be that he has a full time job and this is a side deal.

i like the retro look. steven's aero is coming out with a larger version of it soon:

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe....-p-19952.html

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Nice a bigger version.... Hmmmmm

Your small one looks fantastic too!

Mike
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
texasclouds
Super Contributor

i really like those curves on the color transitions. i wonder if i could pull that off.

this Saratoga has similar feel to it:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4820

Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
texasclouds
Super Contributor

i like this pete-n-poke 40 as well (i think kit is die cut not laser though):

http://www.greatplanes.com/reviews/gpma0493-rcm.html

Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
texasclouds
Super Contributor

fyi, i did an online request as to the lead time on these. Zeke replied w/in 24 hours and said he just finished a batch of Daddy-O planes that will be ready Monday (today). seems like he is on top of things right now.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
spad

Friends: (0)

I've built two Monocoupes and a 207: his kits are outstanding.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Busconv

Default Zeke's Daddy-O

I have built five of Zeke's kits and found all to be great flyers and he a super guy. Yes, this is one of those cottage industries and his other job takes a lot of his time. He works in the DC area and lives in SE Pennsylvania so has a three hour round trip commute plus a home, wife and two great daughters so not a lot of extra time.
As for the Daddy-O, here is a pic of mine, finished last month but not yet maidened, in silver and red colors. Easy to put together as the laser cutting allows you to practically assemble the entire framework before you touch the CA to it. Only tough work is the front stringers where the bend to the front requires you to soak them first in order to bend without snapping. Covering takes some time but well worth the effort due to all the curves instead of flat surfaces.
Try it, you will not be sorry, a great flyer as this is the second one I have built, the first from another kit maker, and that from the FlyRC article of several years ago. Also a pic of that one, it is the green and cream one. Bill

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	For RCG 1.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	118080 Zeke's Daddy-O
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddy-O 2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	118081 Daddy-O from FlyRC
Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
texasclouds
Super Contributor

wow, you did an amazing job on those. how do you do the curved color transitions?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Busconv

It is quite easy---cover it in the base cover and then cut out the overlay pieces and apply using the windex method....spray the adhesive side with windex and smooth out over the under piece using a tissue to remove as much of the moisture as possible from the center out to the edge. Allow to dry overnight so that the adhesive grabs the under piece. Make up a simple frame and try it, works great for me. BTW, I am in so TX, in the Rio Grande Valley, a winter Texan who loves to build as much as fly....five since I got back here in October from my summer travels in a motor home. Do spend most of my time on RCG and only occasionally visit this site...glad I did as I am a ardent fan of Zekes kits....besides this one, a 207, 182, LoLo, Micro Squire and SE5 hanging on my model rack and think there is another which I have missed...have over forty finished and usually 7 or 8 added each winter....need to sell a few as I am running out of rack space....Bill
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Busconv

Ahh...remembered the other Zeke kit...the Monocoupe....Bill
Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Busconv View Post
It is quite easy---cover it in the base cover and then cut out the overlay pieces and apply using the windex method....spray the adhesive side with windex and smooth out over the under piece using a tissue to remove as much of the moisture as possible from the center out to the edge. Allow to dry overnight so that the adhesive grabs the under piece. Make up a simple frame and try it, works great for me. BTW, I am in so TX, in the Rio Grande Valley, a winter Texan who loves to build as much as fly....five since I got back here in October from my summer travels in a motor home. Do spend most of my time on RCG and only occasionally visit this site...glad I did as I am a ardent fan of Zekes kits....besides this one, a 207, 182, LoLo, Micro Squire and SE5 hanging on my model rack and think there is another which I have missed...have over forty finished and usually 7 or 8 added each winter....need to sell a few as I am running out of rack space....Bill
the equipment company i work for has a yard in Edinburg, TX. I'm in Bryan, TX.

So you mean cover the entire wing in base color, silver. then lay down the wet leading edge color red, let dry? you don't then seal it down with iron?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
Busconv

Texasclouds...yes, the windex seems to activate the adhesive and it does adhere. as long as you do not disturb it after getting it in it's final location. also, the windex allows you to slide the top piece around until you get it just where you want it, then use the tissue to move the moisture out to the edge from the center, removing all the little bubbles that are underneath. Takes a little time but far better than trying to activate the adhesive with your iron which also traps air underneath, creating lots of bubbles...
When you cut out the part and need two, one for each wing for example, use two pieces of material with the peel off backing inside against each other so that you are cutting two identical pieces at the same time. I tack them down with masking tape, cut all but the parts protected by the tape and then, after removing the tape complete the cuts across that short distance. Or, use the master that you cut out of file folder stock and cut one at a time, turning over for the second piece. This is not my idea...I got it from reading RCGroups, especially Pat Tritles' threads....he is a master scale model designer and builder with lots of great ideas and tips. He is found in the scale electric area.
Bill
Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #15
Busconv

By the way...spray the windex on the back of the part you want to adhere. If it does not slide easily spray more windex on the back. Works for me...Bill
Old 06-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
texasclouds
Super Contributor

I have built five of Zeke's kits and found all to be great flyers and he a super guy. Yes, this is one of those cottage industries and his other job takes a lot of his time. He works in the DC area and lives in SE Pennsylvania so has a three hour round trip commute plus a home, wife and two great daughters so not a lot of extra time.
As for the Daddy-O, here is a pic of mine, finished last month but not yet maidened, in silver and red colors. Easy to put together as the laser cutting allows you to practically assemble the entire framework before you touch the CA to it. Only tough work is the front stringers where the bend to the front requires you to soak them first in order to bend without snapping. Covering takes some time but well worth the effort due to all the curves instead of flat surfaces.
Try it, you will not be sorry, a great flyer as this is the second one I have built, the first from another kit maker, and that from the FlyRC article of several years ago. Also a pic of that one, it is the green and cream one. Bill
Hey Bill...I'm looking into this plane again. Zeke's website says it can be powered from mild to wild, but suggests what I would say is a real small motor for a 30" plane. What would you say would be a 'wild' motor for this plane and do you see any problems balancing? What battery?

Thanks for the help

Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
Busconv

texasclouds...not sure as I prefer more scale like performance. I fly slow and easy and not cutting holes in the sky. I have one of the old BP-21 motors in it that I had laying around, brand new so fit it in. Meant I had to make a new cowl and not use the one that came with the kit....needed to extend it in order to take the long shaft and fit the prop nicely. Hope this helps...Bill
Old 06-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
texasclouds
Super Contributor

texasclouds...not sure as I prefer more scale like performance. I fly slow and easy and not cutting holes in the sky. I have one of the old BP-21 motors in it that I had laying around, brand new so fit it in. Meant I had to make a new cowl and not use the one that came with the kit....needed to extend it in order to take the long shaft and fit the prop nicely. Hope this helps...Bill
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the kit

I think I may have something sitting around that will mount in it. This is the same basic size/weight as my Molt Hellcat...it didn't take much motor at all to fly well. Blue wonder and a 2s 800 mah should do it.

i'm going to do blue/creame solite similar to the pete and poke pic below:

Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

View philipa_240sx's Gallery83
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
Blue wonder and a 2s 800 mah should do it.
A use a BW 1300KV, 2S 800mAh lipo, and APC 9x6E prop on my FFF Beaver. Roughly 11oz thrust and 30mph. It's a nice motor for 8-12 oz planes on 2S Lipo.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor/Categories

The 1700KV version (which I have not used) with a smaller 7" prop would give more speed:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

View philipa_240sx's Gallery83
Friends: (1)

Hmmm, wouldn't mind trying a scratchbuilt foam version of this one. I really like the looks!

I see the plans can be ordered from FlyRC...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
A use a BW 1300KV, 2S 800mAh lipo, and APC 9x6E prop on my FFF Beaver. Roughly 11oz thrust and 30mph. It's a nice motor for 8-12 oz planes on 2S Lipo.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor/Categories

The 1700KV version (which I have not used) with a smaller 7" prop would give more speed:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I've used both of those on my Molt Hellcat and was pleased with each. I settled with the 1700 kv one for speed. Maybe I'll slap the other one in my D-O

Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery40
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

TC,

Your fleet is getting BIG! Did you see that StevensAero is almost ready to release a big 52 in Daddy-o. I keep thinking that someday I'll buy something big for the club field.

As usual, keep us updated on this model! I'll watch and learn some more.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #23
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
TC,

Your fleet is getting BIG! Did you see that StevensAero is almost ready to release a big 52 in Daddy-o. I keep thinking that someday I'll buy something big for the club field.

As usual, keep us updated on this model! I'll watch and learn some more.

Steve
Well I have the Dandy, the MM Cub, eflite p40, hyperion edge 540 10e, and the Molt Hellcat...thats only 5.

I like the Stevens Aero Daddy-O, but I also like how easy it is to move/store the 30" planes. All of my current batteries/servos can be interchanged within the planes I have which is nice.

Looks like the Dandy will loose its electronics again to feed another plane I think this is the 3rd time thats happened. She keeps coming back for more though

You ought to try the GT wing in your Dandy...its a whole different bird...

Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Ok, haven't had any emails from parkscale as to order receipt or shipping status. I'm not in a rush to get it anyhow, but I do appreciate it when a company shoots you an email after ordering.

Here is a rough idea on my D-O covering with dark blue and cream solite:

i'm not sure if i will do black/white checkers on bottom or black/cream or blue/cream. tail checkering will be blue/cream.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #25
Busconv

I'm sure you will hear from Zeke soon; remember his is a small operation and he has a full time regular job, family and a real tough commute daily. That looks like a great scheme and sure will be visible. Good Luck and you will enjoy the build...Bill

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers