Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
mydartswinger

Send a message via AIM to mydartswinger Send a message via MSN to mydartswinger Send a message via Yahoo to mydartswinger
Friends: (0)
Default Getting Back in to Flying. What's out there now?

I'm looking to get back into RC flight after about a year of not flying anything, and about a year of not flying much. Prior to that, I flew for about 3 years. I flew varying aircraft from the Hangar 9 PTS Mustang mk I, to the e-Flite Cub, up to a The World Models 80" wingspan Spitfire and Nemesis 52. I even flew helicopters ranging from e-Flite's mCX up to a Thunder Tiger Raptor 50.

I miss flying, but I'm not ready to jump into anything bigger than a park flyer at the moment. Whatever I do get, I want it to be semi-scale, cheap (well, at least as cheap as possible to fit the bill), a decent flyer, something that will brush the rust off without breaking the bank through repairs first, and will keep my interest once that rust is brushed off. I prefer 4+ channels (elevator, ailerons, and rudder, not either/or). RTF would probably be best to get everything in one go cheaply. I really don't care if it's a plane or a helicopter, as long as it fits the above bill.

I've been looking around a few places that I would look at before I got out of the hobby and found some that might fit the bill. First was Hobby King. I found a couple of RTF planes for less than $150 that got me interested in them, as well as the possibility of building up an HK 450 heli. Next, I was looking at Horizon and was interested by their UM Corsair. I had also looked at e-Flite's Platinum Super Cub. I really liked it, but it's a bit larger than what I would need and would be a bit more expensive to put together than I'd like. I've also looked at e-Flite's Blade Huey SR heli, but I'm a bit leery of motor driven tails like that. I looked on Tower, but really wasn't impressed by what they had for the small electric market. I made a quick glance at Airborne Models (The World Models), but as expected, they don't seem to have anything RTF.

Anyone know where else I could look for a decent new RTF plane or helicopter on the cheap? I'm not looking for recommendations for a specific aircraft, just for direction on where to look other than the 4 mentioned above. I understand that cheap ain't gonna get me far in RC, but this will be just to fill that void until I can get into a better situation and get back into better birds.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Mydart,

The theme is cheap, right? Did you part with your radio? Sounds like you're torn between heli's and fixed wing. If you decide to go fixed wing, I'd recommend somthing like the T-28. FMS/Airfield, Durafly, Parkzone and others have different versions. I have the Parkzone version and have souped it up with a higher Kv motor and 50 amp esc. Very nice flyer. Can't help you with Helis's.

Here are my favorite sites besides HK -not ranked in order of excellence. I'm not a heli guy so there may be better places for heli's. When I go to HK, I try their USA site first. Shipping cost for a plane from their International site is beaucoup expensive and usually washes out any presumed savings.

Banana Hobby- They get trashed alot on the forums but I've yet to have a bad experience with them after 3 purchases. I have not bought anything I would consider high risk from them.

Value Hobby- Good deals. Nice selection of planes, especially, aerobatic 3D's.Low cost shipping. Have had good experience with them thus far.

Headsuprc.com- Buy motors, esc's , misc odd and ends etc. but they also sell planes. Low cost shipping, great service. I think my all time favorite site

Nitroplanes- Have bought stuff from their Hobbypartz div. Big selection of RTF's and ARF's.Check for coupons and free shipping deals. Gens Ace Lipos rock ! Better than Nanotech or Zippys IMO.

Nico Hobbies- Pat is an active contributor here and flies what he sells. Expert advice

Grayson Hobby- I buy motors and esc's for my scratchbuilt foamies but they also have planes. Good service

Hobby People- Have not bought anything from them but they are always advertising deals

Toysonics- Good place for edf's,etc. Worth checking out

Hobbyb- Canada based. Good deals. I bought a Jpowers RareBear from them.

Hobby-Lobby International- Been around a long time, I think Horizon just bought them out

Tower Hobbies- They always seem pricey to me but they have some good free shipping deals

A Main Hobbies- No experience with them yet but they seem to advertise good deals

If you're looking for the Horizon Hobby lineup like Hangar 9, Eflight, Parkzone,etc. then I recommend your LHS. They do a great job of supporting their distributors. What you pay in tax, you'll save on shipping and can actually talk to someone.

There ya go.

Good luck on whatever you decide and welcome back !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
mydartswinger

Send a message via AIM to mydartswinger Send a message via MSN to mydartswinger Send a message via Yahoo to mydartswinger

Unfortunately, yes, I did part with my radio. I'm gonna miss that DX7.

Thank you very much for the info.

I went down the list and made it through Nitroplanes and went on information overload. I'll be browsing all of those sites to see what they have.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Some have Facebook pages check around for coupon codes.
Happy hunting !
Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
mydartswinger

Sweet, thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
MWShelton

View MWShelton's Gallery8

I fly fixed wing and heli's. If you really want to start off cheap this little micro heli cannot be beat! http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ne...)-p-36779.html I have Aligns, Walkeras, Blades and this little fixed rotor 4 ch flies better than all of them. Parts are readily available, you can buy a new BNF for $20 bucks instead of going through the hassle of repairing it. The included transmitter does a good job of controlling it. You're limited to a 3 or 4 mph breeze outside but it takes very little room to fly it indoors. Its the most fun for $40 I've ever had!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
Its the most fun for $40 I've ever had!
Darn it - you made me buy one!

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
MWShelton

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
I have a TRex 100,MSR, 9958, MSRX, CB100, Solo Pro 270, and probably a couple more LOL. The V911 is the one I fly every night. After I bought the first one I bought 3 more of the BNF, shoot they're just $20 apiece. Thought I would tear the original one up. I didnt wanna go through the hassle of repairing. I've got some age on me and my eyes arent what they use to be. I'm still flying the original one. No telling how many hours is on it. As long as you kill the throttle before you hit something you cant tear it up, at least I cant LOL. Still have the original blades on it LOL. There's a several hundred page thread on it in RC Groups. Its the only single blade fixed pitch micro heli I own that will hover decently, I can lay the radio down while its hovering. The steering is dead on, no slipping and sliding or skating around. Hope you enjoy it, I love mine.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

Originally Posted by mydartswinger View Post
I'm looking to get back into RC flight after about a year of not flying anything, and about a year of not flying much. Prior to that, I flew for about 3 years. I flew varying aircraft from the Hangar 9 PTS Mustang mk I, to the e-Flite Cub, up to a The World Models 80" wingspan Spitfire and Nemesis 52. I even flew helicopters ranging from e-Flite's mCX up to a Thunder Tiger Raptor 50.

I miss flying, but I'm not ready to jump into anything bigger than a park flyer at the moment. Whatever I do get, I want it to be semi-scale, cheap (well, at least as cheap as possible to fit the bill), a decent flyer, something that will brush the rust off without breaking the bank through repairs first, and will keep my interest once that rust is brushed off. I prefer 4+ channels (elevator, ailerons, and rudder, not either/or). RTF would probably be best to get everything in one go cheaply. I really don't care if it's a plane or a helicopter, as long as it fits the above bill.

I've been looking around a few places that I would look at before I got out of the hobby and found some that might fit the bill. First was Hobby King. I found a couple of RTF planes for less than $150 that got me interested in them, as well as the possibility of building up an HK 450 heli. Next, I was looking at Horizon and was interested by their UM Corsair. I had also looked at e-Flite's Platinum Super Cub. I really liked it, but it's a bit larger than what I would need and would be a bit more expensive to put together than I'd like. I've also looked at e-Flite's Blade Huey SR heli, but I'm a bit leery of motor driven tails like that. I looked on Tower, but really wasn't impressed by what they had for the small electric market. I made a quick glance at Airborne Models (The World Models), but as expected, they don't seem to have anything RTF.

Anyone know where else I could look for a decent new RTF plane or helicopter on the cheap? I'm not looking for recommendations for a specific aircraft, just for direction on where to look other than the 4 mentioned above. I understand that cheap ain't gonna get me far in RC, but this will be just to fill that void until I can get into a better situation and get back into better birds.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome back!

Something that is over looked almost always is the classified sections on WF and RCG. RCG has a huge turnover of RTF airplanes and WF gets them every so often. I'm not so sure about RCU since it is mainly nitro and gas forum.

That is my suggestion. Check there first. You may not see something right away, but be patient, it will show up. Like ebay. And the cool thing is that you can always post a want ad.

Good luck.

Frank

Let's Help Newcomers! << Click Here
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
And it just arrived today (the V911) (over a month later - was contemplating initiating a charge back...). So far so good! It's way too windy for it outside - tried it anyway and narrowly missed putting it on the neighbor's roof . I've been playing with it in the garage and am starting to get the hang of it. Seems to have pretty good crash resistance . The only issue so far is that I've got to trim it all the way to the right in order to keep from slipping left. That and the batteries are kinda difficult to plug in (seems to take too much force to do it, IMHO). It's supposed to be sunny and calm tomorrow so I'll definitely try it outside again!

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
MWShelton

Its free shipping but its on a slowboat from China LOL. The V911 isnt much of an outdoor flyer. You know the deal early in the morning or right before sunset. They are extremely tough. I think I have 6 of them and I havent replaced a single part on the first one yet. It has to have over a 100 flights on it. I have a small living room and thats where she comes into her own. I have Blades, Walkeras, Solo Pro, 9558's and my V911 is the only one that will hover by itself. It flies like its on rails, the rest of my micros are skittish. As far as flying outdoors the range on the stock transmitter isnt to great so be careful. I bought a Turnigy 9X, it binds with my V911's and my 9558's. It was money well spent. Got the 9X on sale and I still have less than a $100 dollars in a great radio and helicopter. As far as your trim goes the guys on the V911 thread on RC Groups are very helpful and friendly.. They can tell you how to manually adjust it so you will not have to max out the trim on your radio. The thread is around 900 pages LOL. Thats how popular this little bird is. If you should happen to break a part they're parts galore on Ebay and you wont have to wait. I took hot melt glue and covered the wires to the tail rotor. Thats a weak spot on them, you could crash and tear them loose or short them out. The batteries will become easier to slide in and out with use. A lot of guys convert them over where they will take a regular Turnigy or Parkzone battery. Some guys have changed out the flybar to a paddle type, claim they fly better outdoors. I like mine just the way she is, its perfect for my small tight space. Once you get her trimmed properly you'll love it. You have to fly another brand of heli to really appreciate the V911. My $180 Walkera CB100 cant come close to the secure stable feeling of the V911. I just read WL is working on a 6 channel, I cant wait. Once you get her trimmed properly and get use to her you'll pull the trigger again and order the $19.98 BNF. If you should happen to tear something up theres no need to buy a $10 or $15 part when you can buy a new bird for $19.98. It just takes a month to get here. A lot of pilots burn up main motors and tail rotor motors but I let mine cool off 5 or 10 minutes between flights, i think that's the secret to longevity.I plan on teaching my grandkids how to fly with one, thats one reason I have so many. One company is already rebranding them and selling them for $100. Enjoy your new bird and if there's anything I can do to help dont hesitate to get in contact.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers