Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default Fw 190 project

a couple of pics of my Focke wulf 190-A project....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	162513

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	162514

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	162515
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

View Wrench66's Gallery33
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flier's
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (20)

What make is that? Looks really close to the Guanli FW190 I built a while back. Nice work!

Man they fly so well when balanced and powered right I will always have one of these in my line up.
--Ray

Man, gravity is ALWAYS wanting something from me
Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some details

Hi Ray, thanks for the comments. She is actually made by a company called Tian Sheng, which I had previously not heard of ( or ever heard of since). I bought it as a bare airframe a couple of years back for less than $30.00, and took this long to get her flying. I suspected it may be a Guanli inspired clone, as I have a Guanli Harrier, and the "other models" pictures on the side of the box included a very similar looking FW190. Further investigation revealed it is the companies' own product, but who knows how much these Chinese manufacturers spy on each other Still, for less then $30.00, it flies out of all proportion to its 'price. Very stable, able to handle moderate wind, and quite aerobatic. Flying inverted is no problem, and the whole package is one very well balanced aeroplane. Compared to the pz warbirds, it is extremely good value I did not do a huge amount of mods to it, apart from the motor mounting system, and some basic reinforcing. I had never painted a foamie before either, and thought I would rather make a mess of a $30.00 plane than a $300.00 one, but she turned out really well. Actually, my 13 y.o son painted it, so I can't really take the credit I have some further plans in store, such as individual aileron servo's and some more cosmetic work, but right now she flies just fine. It just goes to show that with a little work, these bargain basement planes can really be worthwhile projects There is no way I could have scratchbuilt something like this for the price....cheers...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Nice, yes the canopy is what really caught my eye.....the shape mainly just looks so similar. Hmmm I don't think I've heard of that company before.
Does your plane use a single servo, running cables through the wing, for the ailerons? This one orig was but I used a pair of small 9gr blue servos instead since this was a replacement for a crashed Guanli 190 I had before (pilot error, RIP) and knew it was a needed mod.
What motor/prop/battery are you running?
That color scheme looks really scale, nice job

--Ray

Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
pattern14
Super Contributor

Hi Ray, yes it does use a single centre mounted servo for the ailerons, but I'm fairly sure I"ll be doing the twin 9g servo thing too. The connections are a bit sloppy as standard anyway. I didn't use a rudder servo at all, and removed the hardware. Being handlaunched with no undercarriage means I save some weight in this area, and the rudder is fixed in position. Power wise, I use an 830kv outrunner ( available from "Himodels"), 40 amp ESC, and vary from 8-10 inch props. With a 2200mah 3s lipo, I get very long flight times. The motor is relatively low powered, but very smooth and solidly made, and has more than adequate power for the planes relative light weight.The original motor mount is a GWS stick type affair, which I junked and replaced with a solid plywood base attached to the fire wall. I cut the cowl off, and then taped it on when all was finished, which means I can change components fairly easily. It gives a lot more strength to the nose, and has almost no vibration. She also flies amazingly quiet, and has a very good glide. After painting, the bottom of the plane was covered in clear packing tape to protect it from the rough paddocks I land in, and likewise, the whole plane is taped together instead of glued. The elapor type foam is quite good surprisingly, but still needs protecting from ground rash. Compared to my Starmax He162, it is very solid foam wise. All in all, it is a great little plane, cheers, Michael
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

My first 190 had used the orig stick type mount but I had trouble over time with it loosening in the foam. When I built this one, I went straight to a special made wooden firewall and mounted the motor with X mount.
I use the same battery as you, but I am running a Turnigy 3536-1100kv motor with 9x7.5 Apc prop. Esc is a Hobbywing 30A and I do use a rudder since I enjoy taking off and landings
I can agree 10,000% on how nice these glide! haha, one of the reasons I bought another after crashing my first.......xlnt flying machine
You have any video of yours? Here's mine.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default for the video challenged......

Not much chance of a video from me, although yours looks really good. I have enough trouble posting photo's, and usually only half of them actually make it through. Going from the footage, it looks as though yours has the same sort of flying characteristics as mine, which is not surprising. I took her out in the wind yesterday, and she did quite well, although any more than about 15-20 knots made things untidy. As mentioned before, She flies as well, if not better, than the pz warbirds, which cost over $300.00 here. So, for 1/10 the cost, I'm pretty happy. I did a search, and Hobbyking stock the bare airframe under the title "Pirate FW 190", although it is on back order and currently not in stock. I actually wanted a BF 109 as well, but there is nothing out there that is the same value for money, so I guess I'll just keep flying this one. Happy flying with yours......cheers....
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Yes I agree that the "pirate FW" looks very similar, and most likely is a close sibling to our models
I have flown some of the other off brands like the one oh nine you mentioned and did not like them nearly as much as this FW.......just something about the wing design and overall lay out that makes it just right.
I DO like the Freewing F6F Hellcat though from Value Hobby.com http://www.valuehobby.com/review/pro...ry/187/......I have one and it's a very close second to the FW in flying, you should build one. Very close in size to the FW also and runs nearly same power setup
Nice talking with you as well
--Ray

Old 09-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
pattern14
Super Contributor

Another good looking warbird there Ray. Quite some years ago I was really into Mustangs and Spitfires and the like, but now my main area of interest is the experimental luft jets that never saw the light of day. I can't really explain the fascination, except to say the more obscure the better I guess it is the innate experimenter in me that looks at these amazing aircraft and makes me want to complete the design. Most of these never grace the pages of Wattflyer, as they either don't fly, fly then crash, or end up in trees, dams or over the horizon. Still, scratchbuilding from drawings without plans is my favourite way of doing things, even if it ends up a disaster. This recent foray into modifying budget priced kits and arf's has been a lot of fun, and a great learning tool as well. It's unlikely I'll venture much further into classic warbirds, as the FW 190 is probably the only single engined fighter I was still interested in, but it is great to see others having a good time with theirs. Happy flying, cheers
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

This looks like a change in direction Michael??
With the Spit and now a 190 are you rapidly moving towards the type of aircraft with the propeller thingy on the front??
The colour schemes by Isaac are really great aren't they. I can't wait to see the schemes which he will be producing in the future
You must be running out of experimental Luft jet subjects as you seem to have modeled most of them by now.

Barry
Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)
Default Good catch!

Michael, very nice! You cannot go wrong for $30 on something like this. The closest I have to this is a $25 E-Flite P-47 that got mangled by United Parcel Service delivery service. I basically never saw it, it was sent back to the seller (SmokeJohnson on WattFlyer), who got a refund and then shipped it to me for $25(!). I had to repair the wing. Ooops! Hijacked the thread. I like the FW as it has a canopy very similar in shape to the Nakajima Ki-43 "Oscar". Long live the Tasmanian Luftwaffe.

Bob

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).
Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some flights later....

Hi Barry and Bob, good to hear from both of you. Glad you found the thread, as I don't really spend much time in this forum. The last 12 months have seen me take a bit of a detour, with these number of budget priced bare airframes. It won't last, of course, with the lure of EPP sculptured luft X Jets starting to rear their malevolent heads. I have always been an outspoken critic of these awful RTF's that look good for 5 minutes, and then shatter to fragments on the first mishap. So, the chance to experiment with making them better for such a low price was too hard to resist. It must be the challenge thing I suppose. The FW190 has been a great success, although I am acutely aware that any significant nose- in would destroy it. The opportunity to give it some strength, improve it's flying ability, as well as practice a scale paintjob, has all paid off. After about 20+ flights now, it is starting to look somewhat scuffed, so I'll touch it up, and then continue to give it the complete clear tape finish. Once totally covered, I then give it a sand with very fine wet and dry, to produce a matt finish effect. The decals are made from photo -copied originals onto A4, and then cut out and coloured in. I can't see myself getting another period prop driven fighter plane, as I am entirely happy with the Focke Wulf and the Spitfire for now....but who knows...one day...
Old 09-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Hi Barry and Bob, good to hear from both of you. Glad you found the thread, as I don't really spend much time in this forum. The last 12 months have seen me take a bit of a detour, with these number of budget priced bare airframes. It won't last, of course, with the lure of EPP sculptured luft X Jets starting to rear their malevolent heads. I have always been an outspoken critic of these awful RTF's that look good for 5 minutes, and then shatter to fragments on the first mishap. So, the chance to experiment with making them better for such a low price was too hard to resist. It must be the challenge thing I suppose. The FW190 has been a great success, although I am acutely aware that any significant nose- in would destroy it. The opportunity to give it some strength, improve it's flying ability, as well as practice a scale paintjob, has all paid off. After about 20+ flights now, it is starting to look somewhat scuffed, so I'll touch it up, and then continue to give it the complete clear tape finish. Once totally covered, I then give it a sand with very fine wet and dry, to produce a matt finish effect. The decals are made from photo -copied originals onto A4, and then cut out and coloured in. I can't see myself getting another period prop driven fighter plane, as I am entirely happy with the Focke Wulf and the Spitfire for now....but who knows...one day...
Michael, I can easilly see why you picked up those kits- saves you time and you love modding! As you know, no kit is EVER going to really stand up to your (yes I am saying it) abusive flying. LOL. Of course you may have the most extreme conditions relative to anyone posting on WattFlyer. Maybe the guys who fly RC at the Antarctic scientific research stations during the katabatic winds would have you beat!! Seriously, your tape and paint jobs (very nice job by your son BTW) are fantastic. They look good and I know how strong that packing tape is for its weight. It will take a slamming.

Bob

Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #14
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default finally got back to this one...

Hey Bob, took my time replying .......got a little time on my hands of late, so I am just going through my "project" planes picking up where I left off. This poor creature has been crashed a few times since last I wrote, and EPP it is not. Still, crashes means an excuse to mod something, so all is good. She looks more Butchered than Butcher bird right now, but I added the individual aileron servos' and deleted the OE, which i never liked anyway. There is something about one central aileron servo that always slightly unnerved me. The linkages were as loose as quality control at the harley factory anyway. The central wing mount bolt stripped as well, and the control horn on the elevator literally crumbled away Started flying like it was possessed, so I had to strip it and re-do everything. Made up a whole new motor mount system as well, as the foam seems to compress fairly quickly, and pretty soon vibration does the rest. Have to pull the tail off next, and add a servo with a very short control rod and better quality horn, as well as brace the elevator etc. Damaged that trying a more powerfull motor and bigger prop, which literally torque rolled her into the ground on take off I'll sand her back and practice with the new airbrush my son has coming next month, as she looks like she just came back from the Russian front. Paint missing all over it, stress cracks, spot repairs, gorilla glue covered in tape and so on. More later.....
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default quicker than I thought...

I ended up having a couple of hours spare after all, and fitted the 1400 kv outrunner and 8" prop, and did a little more tightening up of the whole plane. While the foam quality is better than many Chinese beer cooler planes that are out there, it still suffers from minor impacts. With the COG adjusted for the new motor/prop/firewall set up, she flew very well in the light wind yesterday afternoon, and responded better than hoped for....more later, cheers
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Smile Replying to you.

Michael, did I mention that this plane would be taking some hits? I think you should try spackle and silk. You would be shocked at how resilient that combination is on plain EPS foam. Barry and I swear by it. I know colored packing tape is your modus operandi, so I won't beat you over the head (like I can do that!). Still I think for the price these bare frames are the way to go if you want to get something near-scratch built put in the air very quickly. I must comment on the Freewing Hellcat in a previous post: it gets excellent reviews and I have seen that it handles very similar to the original E-Flite P-47D Thunderbolt (which I still have, though it is now Gorilla glued together- still looks good).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07197.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	166300

Name:	DSC07198.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	166301

Name:	Starting_wingtip_repair.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	166302

Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Very nice planes guys, I really love the FW-190. I will post some pics of mine also just for fun. I really like that Tian Sheng model, it looks like I have seen it under another brand name byt hey, the Chinese manufacturers rip each other off and lots of distributors also buy planes from the same manufacturers. So you do get a lot of very similar models under different names.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I too have a hankering for the FW-190 and/or BF-109. Been vacillating between the two and doing my homework on the various versions out there in the EPP bioshpere.

Almost pulled the trigger on the FMS 1400mm then was able to restrain myself. I've also looked at the Dynam and Durafly versions. Now leaning toward the HK 1200mm FW-190 with flaps, lights, door sequencers, retracts, etc. USD $140+ shipping.

Not sure how any of them ROG without nose overs. Most of the servoless retract planes I've seen are fairly weak on grass. My Dynam Cessna 310 is an exception thus far.

Anyone have experience on grass with these birds?

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Michael, did I mention that this plane would be taking some hits? I think you should try spackle and silk. You would be shocked at how resilient that combination is on plain EPS foam. Barry and I swear by it. I know colored packing tape is your modus operandi, so I won't beat you over the head (like I can do that!). Still I think for the price these bare frames are the way to go if you want to get something near-scratch built put in the air very quickly. I must comment on the Freewing Hellcat in a previous post: it gets excellent reviews and I have seen that it handles very similar to the original E-Flite P-47D Thunderbolt (which I still have, though it is now Gorilla glued together- still looks good).
Nice looking warbird there Bob Gorilla glue gets used a bit in my part of the world too I really am going to give the silk and varnish treatment a go....my poor Edf Guanli "Harrier" will be the crash test dummy for it cheers
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #20
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Very nice planes guys, I really love the FW-190. I will post some pics of mine also just for fun. I really like that Tian Sheng model, it looks like I have seen it under another brand name byt hey, the Chinese manufacturers rip each other off and lots of distributors also buy planes from the same manufacturers. So you do get a lot of very similar models under different names.
It does seem that the FW 190 gets a good rap from everyone, regardless of who they are made by. In real life it was a superior all- rounder to the Bf 109, and gave all the allied fighters a run for their money. The final variant of this plane, the Ta 152, was particularly advanced, but you rarely see a scratchbuild one, let alone something commercial. Be nice if someone did one
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #21
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I too have a hankering for the FW-190 and/or BF-109. Been vacillating between the two and doing my homework on the various versions out there in the EPP bioshpere.

Almost pulled the trigger on the FMS 1400mm then was able to restrain myself. I've also looked at the Dynam and Durafly versions. Now leaning toward the HK 1200mm FW-190 with flaps, lights, door sequencers, retracts, etc. USD $140+ shipping.

Not sure how any of them ROG without nose overs. Most of the servoless retract planes I've seen are fairly weak on grass. My Dynam Cessna 310 is an exception thus far.

Anyone have experience on grass with these birds?

-Hawk
can't help there all mine are belly landers, as the ground i fly from is way too rough for wheels That HK Fw190 looks good too; any idea who actually makes it?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #22
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Pattern,

Not sure who makes the HK version. Probably a mold shop in the same general foam mold neighborhood. Lots of gagetry on this version which could be a bad thing.The fact that it's a tail dragger helps. I actually converted my T-28 to a tail dragger. I have a few builds to complete before I re-visit the Messerschmitts but the more I look, the more I like. I also like the fact that all of the FW-190's call for a 2200mah 11.1v 3S. I have a bucket full of those. The US HK site is sold out right now. Was hovering over the FW-190 page and they dropped the price to $135.00. Not a bad price, though your $30.00 airframe deal is hard to beat. I have a drawer full of servos and motors.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
It does seem that the FW 190 gets a good rap from everyone, regardless of who they are made by. In real life it was a superior all- rounder to the Bf 109, and gave all the allied fighters a run for their money. The final variant of this plane, the Ta 152, was particularly advanced, but you rarely see a scratchbuild one, let alone something commercial. Be nice if someone did one
Michael I must echo Bob's comments on silk and varnish although I use it on all my EPS scratchbuilds I didn't use it on my original GWS models and the bare foam Zero is now 5 years old and survives due to the wonders of spackle alone.
I up motored my GWS P-51 recently though and took the opportunity to silk and varnish it at the same time. Wow! what a difference in airframe finish and rigidity for very little increase in overall weight.
It's a hand launched belly lander as well and the silk finish stands up to landing abuse very well indeed.
Plus as I use it for my " bad weather" model if I do really over do it one day and total it, it'll have a ready made silk bag to take it home in won't it???
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

After reading through the RCG thread last night, I've all but decided to go with the HK 1200 mm version . 173.00 shipped from US warehouse

Getting closer

Hawk

Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #25
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default just a matter of time

It was bound to happen; I just delayed the inevitable With winter now upon us, and the soft green paddocks too hard to resist, I flew the FW 190 in conditions a bit too rough. All was going well until I barrel rolled into the ever increasing blustery wind, and the aileron control horns decided to detach themselves from the retaining plates. Not at the same time though, as one must have come off first, and the whole plane started handling weird. Thinking I had blown a servo instead, I decided to bring her in as the wind increased dramatically. Trying to turn into the wind, she was all over the place, and near impossible to hold steady. Then I could not turn at all, no response, so I cut the power and gave down elevator......she came back to earth alright, but not as planned. The soft ground and grass helped, but she landed upside down after a few cartwheels in the now gale force wind.

A post mortem revealed the plates had come adrift, ( I won't use those horns again), the tail cracked through, chunks out of the wing, broken motor mount, stress fractures showing through the paint etc. Surprisingly intact, as the clear packing tape did its job, but not airworthy. Not a problem though, as I'll totally strip the whole thing, repair the damage, and get back in the air. This time though, I'll use the water based varnish and silk method that both Barry and Bob have had such success with. Nothing like making the most of an opportunity

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics