Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default tower hobbies uproar bash build....#4...lol,love this build.

this will be my 4th uproar build and if i have to there may be a 5th in the hopefully distant future. the way i like to fly the roar has a deffinant expireation date unknow to me,but who cares since both flying and building mods into this plane are a blast.

the elev/rudder design is effective for snap responce on high rates,and the ailerons are also built over sized. i custom made the nose design for optimum air flow thru the esc and battery compartments.there is also a low profile scoop under the fuse nose for the esc compartment and will be a large exit hole/scoop faceing rear to allow all this air flow out the mid section of the fuse will post other pictures later for the fun of it ,but this is not a build thread. it's just my way of celabrating the replacement of my past roar lost several weeks ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 349.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	162560

Name:	funjet ultra 350.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	162561

Name:	funjet ultra 352.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	162562

Name:	funjet ultra 354.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	162563

Name:	funjet ultra 355.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	162564

Name:	funjet ultra 353.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	162565

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
vicrider

Friends: (0)

This is intresting. Im getting ready to build a .40 size hots from model airplane news plans that will be converted to electric. Similar size so im curious as to what you are using for power ?

Good luck on your build.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

although i pulled all the larger turnigy 50-55-580 sk motors out of my larger builds due to poor qc,i use the 35 size sk motors in the roar,sig cobra,and aj slick and they run great. these are the old turnigy sk style of which i bought several to have on hand and do to there being good motors theyer still in the drawer. the picture of uproar #2 was what happens when making an approach over weeds for a landing that a small tree sappling i didn't see tore the wing clean off...lol..........i chopped the little stick of a tree down.uproar #1 pictured on the flight table went down in the marshlands and after 3 days search was a lost bird forever.[do do happens in this hobby] uproar #3 went down on inverted flying to low....opps.

in the uproars i use the 35-48-1100kv on 4cell 4400mah 20c[2 2200mahs run in parrallel].the esc is a 80 amp turnigy plush. gives me unlimited vertical and 8 min flights of varied throttle use mostly pushing it hard. this is the design of the motor mount i made that has a baffle chamber between the fire wall and fuse for air flow and is going on the new roar. i increased the battery compartment size to allow more space for the wires.
the roars weigh in fully loaded around 5lbs. hope this helps your build.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uproar 042.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	162590

Name:	uproar 025.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	162591

Name:	uproar 094.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	162592

Name:	uproar 038.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	162593

Name:	airshots 010.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	162594

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
vicrider

Thanks, It does help.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

my better half and i went to dinner,then to a art supply store to p/u balsa for the rudder building. i must have pulled these missing pc's during another build.

the rudder/vert and horizontial/elevator are done and rough sanded,the fuse is done and finished sanding done. all thats left is sanding the leading edge of the wing and the ailerons then the assembly is easy.

will post pictures, but for now i'v weighted and dampened with water the te of the wing and hope to get the slight bend out before slipping the wing thru the fuse opening and epoxying it permently in place.

this build is so easy and relaxing to build...very theraputic after a hard day at work.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

to windy to fly so slept in late,then spent time sanding and shaping the wing le and misc pc's.then off to a wedding .i should have hings cut in for the final assembly soon then all the fine sanding to do.so it's church in the morning and flying in the afternoon i hope.

if to windy things will really start to take shape on the roar. this is one very solid kit,best to wait on doing the wigs cap strips till the wing is slid thru the fuse,less to brake as the wing will be a tight fit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 357.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	162624

Name:	funjet ultra 358.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	162625

Name:	funjet ultra 359.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	162626

Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

up to the point of using 220 sandpaper all over and will use the white "light"Spackle to fill misc dings. i am a little disappointed in the over sized counter balances built into the elevator. it was ready for covering and i discovered if wind hit them to strong they would flex out of shape so i laminated thin balsa sheeting to the underside of both the horizontal stab and elevator. this added weight will be offset by shifting the Rx battery forward of where it was located in roar #3. the elevator could also be rebuilt to a different design but as for now unnecessary.

should be covering some time this week and hopefully finish up this weekend if weather is better for building over flying.

hummmmmm....seems like i'm doing a build thread after all,i just like this build.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 363.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	162667

Name:	funjet ultra 364.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	162668

Name:	funjet ultra 365.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	162669

Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

for me the worst part of building is done! all pc's are sanded with 400grit fine sandpaper. i normally use 300 and thats fine enough...all i had is 400. then took the compressor and blew dust everywhere....of the build,the tables,the planes hanging on the walls. next step is to wipe down the entire shop for dust and get my head into the covering. i have rolls of monocoat the same colors of my old roar.......and i liked the old birds color ...but the cub yellow monocoat has a tendency to have color flaws after shrinking.

colors may just be white fuse and wing bottom . tops of all surfaces will be missile red. the self stick missile red trim sheets match great as well as the red auto pinstripe. this means the bottom white wing will have broad red panels and pinstripes for seriouse contrast of top and bottom in flight.

no picture as nothing really has changed....

Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

started covering the roar yesterday as the day was to windy to fly[got one flight of a 42"ws slick and was glad to land].i got the aileron covered and started the elevator when the iron shorted out tripping the breaker box. had to drive back to lhs and p/u a new iron.

i often get years out of the hobbieco irons,but this one looks brand new. i plan on sending it to hobbico for them to examine and see why it shorted. i don't even care if they fix it or replace it as they are a $19 item. who knows ,maybe they'll fix it and send it back. but all i care about is know one get electrocuted by using defective irons if they have a QC problem....after all...

it's made in china.

i'll post some pictures later.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

stuart looking good I sent the link to your build to a club member hope this will help him out with his build. It is his first conversion from a gas to electric plane I am slowly bring them over to the watt side.

If ya want to meet me half way I'll let you borrow my iron I won't need for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks gramps...got a new one.

after church the winds were blowing ,so covering was getting done. the control surfaces are done and hings are in place. this makes finding the hing slots on the fuse easier. i started covering the fuse and would be almost finished but lost my grip while spinning the fuse and it hit a sharp edge of a 2 ft ruler on a table behind me....opps.it's repaired and I'm waiting for filler to dry. i also have to do the wing next as i only need one roll of each color to complete this build and i need to be sure to save the smaller areas for last.

just a few pictures of the trim covering and the hole in the wing repair.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 370.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	162789

Name:	funjet ultra 371.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	162790

Name:	funjet ultra 372.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	162791

Name:	funjet ultra 374.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	162792

Name:	funjet ultra 376.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	162793

Name:	funjet ultra 377.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	162794

Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

a few covering pictures,
picture one is of the unshrunk cub yellow bottom . the next 2 pictures are the first shrinking of surfaces. still needs some smoothing out ,but it's getting done.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 378.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	162823

Name:	funjet ultra 379.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	162824

Name:	funjet ultra 380.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	162825

Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

finished tightening the covering tonight and cleaned up the excess ca from gluing on the control surface hings.i used acetone and the color hold up 100% on the monocoat.i will be doing the electric Friday night as the weather isn't looking to great.i hope to get some flying in this weekend...my thumbs are getting rusty from to many windy weekends. at least i can get the thumbs and other fingers ca'ed together building.

a few pictures before trimming the decals on......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 381.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	162921

Name:	funjet ultra 382.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	162922

Name:	funjet ultra 380.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	162923

Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

wrong bottom picture...opps,heres the right ones.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 383.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	162924

Name:	funjet ultra 384.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	162925

Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #15
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

all righty then...ready to rock and roll the roar in the morning!very happy to have a roar back in the hanger so for the first few flights I'm treating her nice....then she's up for my usual abuse.

haven't done any pattern's on the bottom wing yet but waiting for the test runs. the flames were just for fun.

will be switching the 11x7apc prop for a 12x6 before the maiden and still need to run the watt meter ......charging batteries now for the days flying. just need good weather and mother nature seems to be mixed emotions with sun and rain reports. if i don't start getting more air time on the weekends I'm going to get rusty.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 388.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	163166

Name:	funjet ultra 389.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	163167

Old 10-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #16
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Stu the uproar looks great and like the flames on the front!
Hope you get a good day for flying. We are in the same weather pattern iffy for flying weather this Sat., but Sunday looks promising, and Monday looks good.

A happy maiden flight to you.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #17
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks john,for us its the morning that looks good for weather and flying,Sunday may be the washout. while at lunch today at work the wind was perfect for flying and i could vividly picture the retiree's fly the morning away and going home around 1 or 2pm. as for me,just to wiped out after work to load up the car and go. hitting the couch for the 5pm news,type a little and then my eyes close for an hour or so.

whats nice is I've been getting things built after the lil snooze. man ,getting old is exhasting..lol.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Stu I had today off, but I had the electrician at the house all day, and I had great flying weather, but had to hang around the house.
At least I have a new 200 amp service panel, and it is all setup for the generator . Only took me a year to get this done, but now I am good to go if the power goes out.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #19
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

now that your all set...your neighbors will have you to thank for the power never going out...lol.

my neighbors should thank me for that and no snow last winter,so far the only time the generator or snowblower run is to keep them ready.if thing continue this way i could sell them in a few years as brand new. i also have the transfer panel hooked up for the generator and can power 90% of my house. the only thing i need is some way to shelter the generator away from the house. its a generac and instructions say don't operate in the rain.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #20
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

maiden for roar 4 went great,3 flights on a windy day and she's so much fun to have back in the air. it's even more sensitive than roar 3 and flew inverted just as i remember roar3 did before i rolled out of inverted to slow..to low...into the ground it did go. from now on i'll keep her up high till i get inverted flying all over the place then low fly bys will be fun.

first thing i did when putting her away was to add bold pattern to the bottom wing,from a distance the red top /yellow bottom didn't look much different. now it's 100%finished.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #21
gramps2361
Community Moderator

We like pictures please.

Glad your maiden flight went great and the 2 great flights afterwards. I can almost see your happy grin all the way up here.

No flying up here way to windy did yard work, and now the next 2 days are mine to fly the wife is working. Gremlin combat Sun. morning 4 to 5mph wind all day gonna be a blast.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #22
LawnDartMike

I've almost finished my first balsa build. Pics are here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...8&postcount=37

I took some of Stuart's wing mods when I built it. With a 3300 4s it weighs 4lb 6oz. I don't know if that is over the top but the extra wing sheeting and bracing along with my liberal use of CA and epoxy I feel its on the heavy side.

Overall for my first balsa build it wasn't that hard. Pretty time consuming but I know the next build will be faster. The wife just stated that she comes second to the planes. Some wives just don't understand.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
dakoris73

Club: Omahawks RC Club

Hello there;

I just found this thread as I am currently building my first balsa build which is also an Uproar, and I'm also considering converting this to electric, and I like how Stuarts roar and mods turned out.

Stuart - I noticed that your motor mount is an addon mod to the fuse, and I was wondering if you had plans, drawings, or at least more pics of this prior to covering? I saw the one with the box from the back, but would be interested to see the front, top, and bottom as well. I think this is a very well done design, and wanted to get some more ideas on how to convert this plane as well. This would be my first electric conversion, and currently my only electric plane so far so any assistance / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mikey
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #24
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

hello mike and welcome to wattflyer. the box i built for the motor was a way to vent air into the esc compartment and battery compartment. i like the way ldmike mounted his motor for keeping it cool but leaves it very exposed to the ground if it noses over. heres a few more pictures of the layout shown on roar #3,the motor box was reused on roar #4.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uproar 024.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	165868

Name:	uproar 025.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	165869

Name:	uproar 027.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	165870

Name:	uproar 031.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	165871

Name:	uproar 032.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	165872

Name:	uproar 033.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	165873

Name:	uproar 036.jpg
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	165874

Name:	uproar 050.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	165875

Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

a few more pictures and a few of what your wing would look like when the landing gear goes through it...........

the motor mount box is built out of light ply and if your using larger batts you''l need to cut the sheeting on the top half of the wing without cutting the Le. i will be modifying my roar soon to take 4000mah 40c 4cells as the way i load 2 4cell 2200mah 20c batts in parallel is out dated since the batteries are very old and needed replacing.

the motor I'm using is the turnigy sk 35-48-1100kv,on 4cells it gets unlimited vertical and 8min flight of hard flying...i expect more from the new batteries. if you have any questions ,do ask...more than willing to help a fellow roar flyer.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 355.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	165879

Name:	funjet ultra 361.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	165880

Name:	funjet ultra 381.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	165881

Name:	funjet ultra 354.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	165882

Name:	funjet ultra 353.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	165883

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 054.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	165884

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 055.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	165887

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 057.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	165888

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 061.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	165889

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft