Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)
Default Skyangel / Jpower A-10 35mm EDF

After doing several versions of the A-10 Warthog over the years, when I saw the Skyangel A-10, I just had to add it to the collection. This one was purchased at www.Hobbyb.com in kit form rather than the plug and play version due to me already having the servos and the rest of the power system that came out of another Skyangel model. I've ordered several things from Hobbyb, a relatively new vender based out of Canada. The A-10 kit comes without control horns, control wires or decals. Fortunately, those parts are also available seperately from hobbyb as well.

This was a quick build that hardly took any time as most of the parts mock together easily. Some parts glue together, some use a plastic collar and screw. The parts mock together quickly for a test fit, then everything was disassembled for the proper build. The Vertical stabs were glued to the horizontal stabs and the whole assembly was glued to the bottom of the fuselage, 5 minute epoxy was the choice for these parts. The elevator joining rod was also glued into place to connect the elevator halves. That portion was set aside to dry.

The wing came with molded aileron hinges but it appeared to not be Skyangel's best effort. There was just not enough material holding the ailerons in place in my opinion. I seperated the ailerons, cut slots in the foam and used CA hinges to hold the ailerons in place. This worked perfectly and should last for countless flights. The Aileron servos were installed and the wire run in the slots already molded in the wing. The wires run to a center hole in the wing so that the wires exit the topside of the wing. The landing gear blocks and struts are also installed in the wing and the assembly is set aside to dry.

The elevator servo is installed under the tail prior to installing the power system.
The nacelles are a split design, the bottom half bolts to the top of the fuselage and holds the fans. The escs are routed under the nacelles and the assembly is bolted to the top of the fuselage and the wires run though the fuse up to the wing area. The wing is bolted into place. I use a some flexible foam glue to tack the fans into place. While those dry, the canopy is assembled. The pilot from another retired model is used as the kit doesn't come with a pilot figure like the plug and play version. The fuse add ons are also glued into place.

The control horns are installed and the top half of the nacelles are added. Everything was set aside to finish drying as the last parts to be installed would be the top half of the nacelles. The only real tricky part is the install of the upper nacelle halves. The side closest to the fuse is CA'd first and allowed to dry. Once those are set, the outer seam is glued, one has to be careful not to squeeze the nacelles in such a way as to distort the fan housing. I can't say it's the most elegant way Jpower could have designed the nacelles, but it does work. It's the only part of the assembly that requires any special attention at all.

Momma Hog 50mm and Baby Hog 35mm ready for flight. LOL

I'll be using a 2s 800 mAh 40C lipo for the flight test. I had originally intended to go with 3s from the start, but this fuse is a little narrow and the two 5 blade fans had proven to provide acceptable power in the Skyangel Mig 29.
The CG was verified at 25mm(incorrect) back from leading edge of the wing to fuse joint, http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67171

The fans were tested again, the flight surfaces were tested as well and the model is ready for the maiden flight. Once the initial flight tests are performed, the ordinance and decals will be added. The first flights will also be performed using a standard 4 channel receiver. Once a 6 channel receiver arrives, the model will be tested using flaps. This should allow slower landing speeds as well as a shorter take off distances.

The initial test flight(s) were not what I would call pleasant. With all the slop in the landing gear, there is no way this will track straight for a rolling take off, so the model was hand launched. It flew out pretty well but any elevator input had the model pitching up and down like a porpoise. At the CG of 25mm back, it took my total concentration to bring the model down in one piece as it felt seriously tail heavy. I had down elevator trim dialed in to obtain level flight but that created some problems when it came time for landing. I took the model up high and chopped power, sure enough.... the typical A-10 drop like a rock that's intent on blasting out an impact crater. The slightest bit of down elevator and it was the same result. After a couple cartwheeled landings, it was evident that it was far too touchy to fly well and landings were simply terrifying. I managed to barely squeeze a 2s 1000 mAh lipo that weighed a whopping 62 grams, the CG was now more like 20mm back from the leading edge. There appears to be some up incidence molded into the horizontal stab, evidently the manufacturer intends the model to be flown a little nose heavy. I reset the elevator trim to more neutral and gave it another go. The model flew right out and felt much more settled. The incredibly pitchy handling was now gone, the elevator responded well, the rolls were nice, the model bahaved like a larger model. The landing on the asphalt was butter smooth due to the now settled pitch control. I'm relieved, while I thought that the model looked good, it may have been a turd. What creates a bit of an issue is the extra foam molded in place to retain the nose wheel strut makes adding larger lipos difficult. I opted to add 14g of lead in the nose and revert back to a 2s 800 mAh 40C lipo for ease going in and out of the battery compartment. One more test flight in that configuration and all is great! Power is decent and the model doesn't require full power to fly well, the power system is adequate for normal flying. I'm very happy with it so now it's time to add the ordinance and decals.
The weight of the plane without lipo is now 142g and that includes the 14g of lead in the nose. The 2s 800 mAh 40C lipo is 48g. The 2s 1000 mAh was 62g so if I use that, the 14g of lead gets removed. So figure an AUW of 190g including ordinance and landing gear.
Here's a quick flight test video. Got lucky on the after landing taxi.

The Pluses
*Durable prepainted EPO foam.
*Includes ordinance.
*Really simple build with interlocking parts along with collars and screws.
*Control horns, control rods and decals also available from the vender.
The Minuses
*Nacelle assembly could be designed to interlock, but there were still no issues in assembly.
*No pilot figure or landing gear available seperately like what is included in the Plug and Play versions.
*CG from the manufacturer in my opinion is not correct. 20mm back is much better.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Saw this at the field last week - an impressive little plane....
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Saw this at the field last week - an impressive little plane....
I have probably 20 flights on this one already, I'm liking it more and more every day. Considering I'm only using a 2s lipo, the speed is quite good.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Looks great Joe ! Another one on the bucket list. Toysonics?

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Looks great Joe ! Another one on the bucket list. Toysonics?
Got the 35mm in kit form from Hobbyb.com. Toysonics carries the ARF and PNP versions. The 50mm is available at toysonics.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

i was looking at the kit frames from hobbyb. so they are of good quality ?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Skyangel is the maker so they will be the same everywhere...... but the kits seem to be better than what I got from hobby king. Several control horn kits can be purchased seperately as they don't come with the airframe only kits, all mine have come with no warping of the wings or tails. The F-15 control horn kit can work for the F-15, F-18, F-16, Mig-29. I believe the A-10 horn kit will work for the A-10, T-45 and F-86. A big plus here is that you can order the motors and fans too. It looks like the only one they don't have is the Mig-15. The only negative that I've seen is that the landing gear aren't available seperately. I had a few sets left over from a few Mig-29 ARFs that I used for the A-10. I have one extra set that I'll use for maybe another F-18, there are molded in pockets that show intent for the landing gear to be used.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68159

Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I like Hobbyb though they forgot a control rod on my Katana. No big deal. Nice kit deals. I like the 4800kv motor and balanced fan from Don's RC.
Hobbyb seems to have a leg up on new releases. I also buy from Toysonics in California and yes, even BH. HK is way behind on new releases and kit versions IMO. Plus, they're shipping is outrageous.

Going to be testing a new gyro system from Bluelight . Should make hand launching easier.

Can't go wrong with the Skyangels or their Warbird prop series. I love both.In fact, my Rare Bear will out fly the edf's, if speed is on your agenda.
All built to take some abuse. If this your first edf, I'd recommend the T-45. Easy flier but can be souped up.

Joe's Warthog looks very tempting. What's not to like?

- Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Joe's Warthog looks very tempting. What's not to like?

- Hawk
There is one negative though... The kit version does not come with landing gear. The ordinance and targeting pod as well as the front gun will get ripped off on belly flop landings. If you use those parts, you'll have to use some sort of landing gear. Fortunately, the landing gear and blocks from the MiG-29 ARF are the same as what is used for the A-10. That's the only downside I've found. I compare this to the ELERC A-10 which is a twin 30mm EDF, this Skyangel gives much longer flight times due to the more effecient fans and motors. The same 2s 800 mAh 40C lipo gives me at least twice the flight time than when it's in the ELERC model.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets