Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)
Default Maiden flight of my P-51D and met a fellow WF'er

Although it was a bit on the windy side I felt like doing some flying so I took some planes out to my flying field. First I sent the Apprentice up for a test and was very happy with the results. The Apprentice is just such a solid predictable flier. If I had to name one of the best pieces of advice I've received it would be getting the E-Flite Apprentice 15e for a self-trainer. After my 3rd flight I was met by a fellow WattFlyer Torch. He saw the Apprentice from the road and came over to see who was flying. We talked for a bit and he saw I also had my big Lanyu Cessna 182 and Art-Tech P51D in the back of my truck. I told him I brought them just in case the wind died down, but probably wasn't going to fly them. I had yet to fly the P-51D.

After he left, and the battery on my Apprentice was too low for another flight, I decided to take the Cessna up for a fly. The wind had gone down slightly, but still some strong gusts. The flying the Cessna went off without a hitch and it flew fast and furious. As I was told before, these scale Cessna's are "not a trainer". As the sun had begun to set I felt the wind was calming and set the new P-51D on the concrete thinking I'd just test the avionics and maybe taxi a bit. Yeah right! I pointed it into the wind and in a split second decision shot the throttle to it and off it went. Made 3 or 4 passes and brought it in for a nice smooth landing.

Flew 3 planes, including a maiden and first on a low wing, in moderate wind and all going home in one piece. I had a big smile on my face all the way home.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)

Well done, DC

That sounds like a great day at the field. They won't all go this smoothly, so savor your successful flights!

Brad.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Sounds like a great day of flying! Congrats on the maiden and having a great time!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions