Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)
Default Want to convert Skimmer and Vista to brushless motors

Both look like they have speed 500's in them. the Vista came with a brushed motor and the Skimmer had one also may have been put in by the previous owner. Well both motors have issues now and need replacement. Both had flown well previously. Both have their motors now mounted internally behind the firewall. I'm thinking because of the BL will weigh less to mount it in front of the firewall. I usually use 1800-2200 3s batteries and am happy with the fight times. I know you are supposed to not use lipos with the brushless motors but I never had problems.
What do you people reccomend for motors and ESC's. Also props, there are folders on both. Looks like a 9 on the Vista and a 12x10 cam on the Skimmer. I know the Skimmer was over proped but it worked for a while.
Appreciate any help.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

i did a skimmer build thread hear at wattflyer a while back.see if my modifying for brushless matches your needs. lots of pictures so you should be able to skim thru it quickly.[no pun intended]

areo craft skimmer 600 2010 ,help please. ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
bluzjamer

Thanks Stu I did go through that thread just been going through quite a few and forgot that one. Thanks as always.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
bluzjamer

Stu it seems that motor is on backorder everywhere. Jeff at headsuprc came through though. He recomended a powerforce 10 (3536 same motor). A little more but cheaper shipping and quicker too....and of course you always see other things you need.
I wonder when companies are going to see that the days of installing brushed motors is over. People have to stop buying ARf's that are packed will old technology. Only way to change this is to stop buying. It's how we learn I guess, school of bad purchases. I'm tired of a RTF stuffed with an outdated TX, ready to toss a plane and notice the cheap clevis or control horn broken and the pushrod hanging there. Seeing the elevator or rudder servo jumping around when I power up. Do they really think that 027 or 032 dia. pushrods should be used on a 50" plane. I should build my own right....well I have a lot of guitars hangin in my basement and cycles in my garage so I don't want to sand stuff. These guys do cover better than me also. Just hate the junk. Thanks...I'm done.
Suks getting old.

AMA # 944164

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

I have been flying this one for several years now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-28 09.28.21.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	162860
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
bluzjamer

That's a beauty Henry. Did yiou convert it or was it an EP ready plane.
Looks very much like the skimmer design. Just yours is fancier.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	162894

AMA # 944164

Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

It is a Spectra. An ARF that came with a can 600 brushed motor and used a 6 or 7 cell nicad pack and an off / on switch operated by a servo. It is converted to a brushless motor. Uses a 3 cell 2200 mah pack. A real pleasure to fly.
Henry
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
bluzjamer

Henry you stopped just before the good part.....watt motor did you put in there.
I was using a 1800 to 2200 3s with the brushed can motor my Vista came with. Probably was too much for it. Never came down hot, maybe bounced it a little too much on one landing.

AMA # 944164

Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

I also have a Tower Hobbies Vista set up the same way. and both are powerwd with E-flite Park 450's Check me out here.
http://www.checkthesock.com/pilots/Henry/aircraft
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
bluzjamer

Holy Moly Henry where do you put them all? all are outstanding also. I have a bunch in the Hanger some gassers that are just sitting and some EP that I just haven't flown.
I have an unflown 60" stick I haven't set up for EP yet. Been busy with the gliders. I used two exceed rocket 3020 1K kv motors as the fit was better and they seemed to match the HURC motors firepower 10 in power. They work good so far.

AMA # 944164

Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

I built one a year or so ago using an AXI 2212-34 outrunner and 3-cell Lipos (Moto-calc recommendation - more or less), as such I had to widen the nose about 5mm to make room for the bell. No problem when you're bashing a new plane kit, but yours is already built, so you may want to stick with a narrower inrunner as the nose of this bird is rather tight inside.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
bluzjamer

Just to update, I ended up using exceed rocket 3020 1000 kv motors with 10-6 folding props and they work well. Use an 1800 mah lipo or a 2200 mah lipo whatever I grab and it works fine...glides a little better with the 1800. Batteries under the wing. Much smoother than the brushed motors...i'll never go back to brushed.

AMA # 944164

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes