Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)
Default Video recording for 1 person?

I'm trying to decide what equipment will work best for video recording of my flights. The problem is being both the flier and the person taking the video. I bought a $20 set of "Spy Net" video recording glasses from Walmart that I've been using, but the video quality is poor. I have a Finepix s1800 that does a fair job but requires a second person to run. I think the Finepix s1800 records at 720p and I've seen video glasses on eBay that advertise recording at 720p (30 FPS) which I'm thinking about trying.

Has anyone come up with a good way to record your flying by yourself with good results?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
halen2012

Friends: (0)

I think you can use a spy cam binding your RC helicoperters. That would be very exciting.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

mount a good camera to a hard hat. a chin strap will help. you will have figure some kind of sight so you will be recording your plane not the sky near it. you will look odd but most people think we are anyway
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)

I second that, I use a builders hard hat , I drilled the peak and threaded a bolt through to attach to my Samsung pocket camera (720p). You'll need to pack it with some foam and experiment with the positioning. I also add just a touch of zoom to bring things a shade closer. See here for the results!

More vids on my channel :

http://www.youtube.com/user/Davetheb...r?feature=mhee

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by DCDetector View Post
I'm trying to decide what equipment will work best for video recording of my flights. The problem is being both the flier and the person taking the video. I bought a $20 set of "Spy Net" video recording glasses from Walmart that I've been using, but the video quality is poor. I have a Finepix s1800 that does a fair job but requires a second person to run. I think the Finepix s1800 records at 720p and I've seen video glasses on eBay that advertise recording at 720p (30 FPS) which I'm thinking about trying.

Has anyone come up with a good way to record your flying by yourself with good results?

Thanks
I have 2 ways ....

a) I bought a Helmet cam .... of Ebay. This has a rubber strap that fits round a hat band area and sits at side of your head above the ear. The camera can be tilted on the mount .. seen here...

It takes a bit of getting used to the angle it records and your head / eyes leading a model on low pass etc. ... price was about $30.

b) is a 808 key-cam with velcro pad on the peak of my baseball cap. I need no other mount item ... the velcro holds it fine.

For the best video'ing ......... I still use an old style 8mm Video camera ... the Sony Handycam. The zoom and picture quality is still way better than most digi-cams and can be easily converted via a home DVD player to DVD quality to a disc. But this needs a second person.
The strange thing is with my handycam - best is to fix the model via viewfinder ewyepiece and stay with it ... NOT to use screen or eye away from the eyepiece.

I've tried Digi-cams ... I have 3 ... but best flying days being warm, sunny days ... the screen is hard even impossible to see !

If I was going to set-up a hat specially for video work ... and lets be honest it's not best way to do it ... I'd buy the stand-up HD spy-cam...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions