Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Epowerreg
Real Flying

Club: They cant handle it...
Friends: (0)
Default Did DollarTree Kill the Hobby/Anyone go past

Did dollar tree foam ships kill the hobby? I mean do most people quit the hobby after flying a specific amount of foam board planes?

My main question is did any of you know that a more advanced plane would feel better on the controls and be more fun in the air and then move away from foam ships or at least to ones with a real airfoil and slick surfaces?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by Epowerreg View Post
Did dollar tree foam ships kill the hobby? I mean do most people quit the hobby after flying a specific amount of foam board planes?

My main question is did any of you know that a more advanced plane would feel better on the controls and be more fun in the air and then move away from foam ships or at least to ones with a real airfoil and slick surfaces?
I've done chunk-Gliders for many years,, may this is what your looking for,,
I've done a few build threads on them, bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	217529_214772105215974_100000495592743_831634_4262527_n.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	162901

Name:	248841_229640327062485_100000495592743_946593_1098096_n.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	162902

Name:	petty an red 248.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	162903

Name:	petty an red 360.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	162904

Name:	petty an red 488.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	162905

Name:	petty an red 499.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	162906

Name:	petty an red 539.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	162907

Name:	petty_an_red_220.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	162908

Name:	petty_an_red_078.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	162909

Name:	petty an red 760.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	162910

Name:	planes_793.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	162911

Name:	petty an red 357.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	162912

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

I'm not really sure what you mean. I have more fun flying my little depron F-22 than I've ever had flying something "more advanced". And I've flown plenty of planes that you would seem to consider "more advanced".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with only flying aircraft made of foam. If that's what someone prefers, who cares what type of planes they fly?

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Epowerreg
Real Flying

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I'm not really sure what you mean. I have more fun flying my little depron F-22 than I've ever had flying something "more advanced". And I've flown plenty of planes that you would seem to consider "more advanced".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with only flying aircraft made of foam. If that's what someone prefers, who cares what type of planes they fly?
How long have you been flying without taking long breaks?

Got any video links of the f22?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

I started flying RC on 12/26/05 and haven't taken a break since. In fact, I love my foam planes so much I now run a business selling them. The link is in my sig, and a link to the F-22 video is on the F-22 page on my site.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Epowerreg
Real Flying

There are several videos online I see it. Looks like you jet is more fun with some wind maybe? I see a guy doing some back flips with one. Nice roll rate... Its a pusher so that might be the key to the cool feel to it? Do pushers feel better?

I was looking at the exp airlines channel on youtube and thinking maybe thats where people stop the hobby at that point?

I recently had the electric Tamecat 41"? with front motor. Its a balsa ship. I got tired of it. Maybe I am going in the wrong direction?

I have some fiberglass ships I still do like. Had them for years.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I don't know what, exactly, you're looking for in the sport but in answer to your question, absolutely not. Despite the gnashing of teeth from the old guard, I think that cheap foam electrics are revitalized the sport by giving more people an easy in.

There are foam planes that do 3D, that soar to over a mile, that break 100MPH, that are amazingly beautifully constructed.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Epowerreg
Real Flying

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I don't know what, exactly, you're looking for in the sport but in answer to your question, absolutely not. Despite the gnashing of teeth from the old guard, I think that cheap foam electrics are revitalized the sport by giving more people an easy in.

There are foam planes that do 3D, that soar to over a mile, that break 100MPH, that are amazingly beautifully constructed.
So in other words that people who quit are gonna quit regardless. I see you guys have been flying more than 4 years right? Most of you?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm a relative newbie. I made my first ever R/C flight on my 50th birthday, about 2 - 2.5 years ago. Since then, I've flown most days and currently have a fleet of a couple of dozen planes, ranging from a RTF 2-meter glider to a handful of ultra-micro RTFs to some ARFs, heavily modded kits, and totally scratch-built planes.

I, for one, had absolutely no interest in building when I got into R/C. I have very poor manual skills; I can't cut straight or hammer a nail without bending it. It never occurred to me that I could actually build something that would fly. Building and modding has become a big part of the hobby for me, now, in large part because the bar is so low that even a clumsy oaf like me can meet it. A master craftsman might sneer at my scratch builds but, for me, it's an amazing revelation that I can actually build flying machines.

I also love to make aerial movies with my planes. Filming those and editing them together is something else that keeps me interested. I'm always looking for ways to make better, more interesting videos.

I've recently gotten into FPV which is a totally new experience and which I hope will help me with my aerial videos. It's hard to know exactly what a plane is looking at when it's a quarter mile away.

Everything's foam. For me, the ability to keep pushing new boundaries on a budget I can afford is a big advantage of foamies. Knowing that if I destroy an airframe, I can build a new one for $2 - $20 keeps me comfortable with trying new things.

This is my 26" wingspan Tiger Moth, scratch-built from blue fanfold insulating foam. If you'd told me three years ago that I could do this, I would have laughed at you.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

So in other words that people who quit are gonna quit regardless. I see you guys have been flying more than 4 years right? Most of you?
I've been flying models since I was about 8yrs old .... I'm 56 now. I've gone through wood only, Veneered foam, styro-foam, fiberglass, plastic, cars, boats, gliders, power and even early days of Ducted Fan and Heli's.

My take on it is : There are people that try out a hobby but don't stay at anything ... and there are those that succeed .... and those that prefer other pastimes. We are no different to other hobbies .... what material we use is only a small part of the equation.

I think that Foam in all it's types EPP, EPO, etc. along with electrics has helped bring the model more to the masses than anything else. Previously with glow motors etc. - it was a serious investment not only in model gear but time and learning curve getting a motor to run true. Now it's plug in, switch on and go.

The hobby will always struggle to gain new members in competition to playstations and the like ....... today is the instant gratification age. I reckon many would prefer a SIM to actually flying a model ... but hopefully the SIM can instill a wish to try the 'real thing' ......

Dollar Tree ............. still trying to find a source of this in Latvia !! Took a year to find Depron !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

I'd say the cheap and easy build foam planes are definitely a gateway drug. I started flying abut 1-1/2 years ago with the venerable HZ Super Cub. I still have that plane, although it is nothing at all like its stock version. Its still one of my favorites.

I am not a huge fan of the dollar tree planes, but I do love to hot wire foam insulation boards. My building/designing skills are progressing, albeit slowly. When I see some of the amazing foam and balsa planes that are scratch built on this site, it inspires me to keep going. I like the building/creating as much as flying. The repairing comes in a distant third. Funny how I seem to spend most of my time on that, though.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I'm a relative newbie. I made my first ever R/C flight on my 50th birthday, about 2 - 2.5 years ago. Since then, I've flown most days and currently have a fleet of a couple of dozen planes, ranging from a RTF 2-meter glider to a handful of ultra-micro RTFs to some ARFs, heavily modded kits, and totally scratch-built planes.

I, for one, had absolutely no interest in building when I got into R/C. I have very poor manual skills; I can't cut straight or hammer a nail without bending it. It never occurred to me that I could actually build something that would fly. Building and modding has become a big part of the hobby for me, now, in large part because the bar is so low that even a clumsy oaf like me can meet it. A master craftsman might sneer at my scratch builds but, for me, it's an amazing revelation that I can actually build flying machines.

I also love to make aerial movies with my planes. Filming those and editing them together is something else that keeps me interested. I'm always looking for ways to make better, more interesting videos.

I've recently gotten into FPV which is a totally new experience and which I hope will help me with my aerial videos. It's hard to know exactly what a plane is looking at when it's a quarter mile away.

Everything's foam. For me, the ability to keep pushing new boundaries on a budget I can afford is a big advantage of foamies. Knowing that if I destroy an airframe, I can build a new one for $2 - $20 keeps me comfortable with trying new things.

This is my 26" wingspan Tiger Moth, scratch-built from blue fanfold insulating foam. If you'd told me three years ago that I could do this, I would have laughed at you.
Beautiful! Dollar store foam at its finest!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

One of the things about cheap foamies is that a lot more people are now able to try the hobby than ever could in what some people still think were "the good old days". When I started you had to spend months building from a wood kit and save up for ages and ages to buy an engine for it and then find someone who could help you get it going and radio was just impossible to afford etc. You had to be really keen to even consider having a go.

But one of the consequences of it being easier to give it a try is that more people will try, decide it's not for them and go away again. Since quite a few will also try it, like it and go on to bigger and better models I can't see that as a problem .

BTW Dollar Tree foam isn't the "problem" anyway though cheap RTF models may be. Once you've got people sufficiently hooked to want to build their own models, from foam or anything else, most of them will be with us pretty much for life .

Steve
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

I have been at this a while, and the material or source is not to blame. Some people can not fly what they bring to the field. Ten years ago, you would have to invest a serious amount of time to craft a plane that was outside your flying skills. So great caution would be used in testing and flying that model. Today it is much easier to arrive at the field with a plane of unknown flight tendencies in the hands of a new pilot. When things go bad in that situation, people rethink their commitment to the hobby.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 09-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Dollar tree Foam Board is great to use when starting out building planes, its cheap and easy to work with, make all your mistakes with cheap dollar tree foam i have built some nice planes with it that I still have and they fly great, after you have done some building and learned a thing or two, then start using depron, depron is much much better to work with and is stiffer and stronger.
hope that helps, Chellie

Planes pictured below were built using Dollar tree foam, the paper was removed and the foam was braced as needed

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...652#post715652

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #17
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Super stuff Ms Chellie! bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

You can't forget a Chellie's giant Bipe might not be dollar tree foam board, but it was made with 6mm foam.
Everything has it's place in this great hobby all depends what you want to do with it, and how big or how small. My LHS shop is carrying different kinds, and thickness of foam board now he says it is selling pretty well.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bipe.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	162943
Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I am amazed at materials now used in models .... years ago - it was 'traditional balsa' ... now we have all sorts of magic foams .. including blown moulded stuff from factorys.

I can remember buying a Foam 40 glow powered Spitfire back in about 1985 ... boy was it terrible ! Looked great .. scale lines, panels all moulded in ... but fly ? It was a disaster. In those days foam was usually only a filler material between layers of Sapele or balsa veneer... usually wings. Electrics were abysmally poor power and only rarely seen on a very light glider style models ..

Now ? Amazing .... I love glow powered models .. something about them ... but electrics are so convenient.

If the revolution in materials such as foam swells the modellers numbers - then great. I remember when as a Club Committee member - we were all moaning about not getting new members .. but in those days it was more a committment in building than it is now.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Really, Dollar Tree foam is nothing more then another branch in the building tree.
The tree's branches all lead to the same place, the capability of taking nothing, and building it into something. Be it foam, glass, balsa, carbon fiber, and so on. It's all part of that same tree.

Like was touched on, it's one of the least expensive ways of doing it. But it builds the person's confidence. You can do it with foam so why can't you do it with balsa.

Just another step in the whole wide world of building and flying, and how far do you want to take it.

Simple as something like a NASTY, or a little more involved like one of my DUCKS, or even some of the most beautifully crafted scale versions, all done in foam.

Here's some of mine, foam board, FF, insulation, Gator board, heck even old plastic signs, and such.
It's all up to you as to how far you want to go with it.

Some stick with it, others use it as like said, the first step into building from other materials.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0323012029.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	162970 crazy ball

Name:	0326012145.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	162971 NASTY

Name:	planes 020 (Medium).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	162972 DUCK #1

Name:	the Flying Coffin.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	162973 Flying Coffin

Name:	planes 015 (Medium).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	162974 Duck #2

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I often point people to this beautiful build. Admittedly, it's done with blue and pink insulating foam, but scratch built from re-purposed foam nonetheless.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #22
RobWoodall

Chellie,

What are you using for the landing gear on the beautiful slow stick? I'm not planning to scratch build until my son is out of the snatching tools out of daddy's hands stage, but I really want to upgrade my SS gear.

Rob

"I played around with the center of gravity and it crashed much better!"
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #23
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default do I live under a rock??

No Idea what "dollar tree" foam is, and I've never seen depron...I'll have to wait until some washes up on the beach.......
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Dollar Tree foam board is about 4mm thickness of foam sandwiched between paper. It's stiff. Depron is pure foam and much more pliable where you can form & shape it better not mention sanding and painting. Forget about sanding Dollar tree foam board. You can paint it but go light. Depron is also much more expensive. Usually comes in 3mm, 6mm and 9mm thickness. Your LHS will carry it or you can buy it on-line. www.RCfoam.com is one source.

There's a new hybrid out there called MPF (Model Plane Foam) that purports to offer the best qualities of depron with the best qualities of foam board: http://www.modelplanefoam.com/index.php/about-us/

Hearing alot of good reports from other modeler's on MPF. RC Groups has a large thread covering this new foam.

I've built 6 models from Dollar Tree and Depron. I probably have more flights on my Dollar Tree F-22 than any other plane in my squadron, ARF's or otherwise.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
No Idea what "dollar tree" foam is, and I've never seen depron...I'll have to wait until some washes up on the beach.......
Dollar Tree Foam ... until I get a real full description of this - I also have none here in Latvia ...

Depron : here's a link that may help http://www.buvexpo.lv/en/4 - we have a factory here in Latvia that is licenced to produce depron. The name Depron is a BRAND name though ... bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover.
Unfortunately - the factory says it sells direct to customers ... but when I try to order - no reply. So we are forced to buy from a single shop at higher price.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions