Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Club: Western New York Sailplane And Electrical Plane Flying Club
Send a message via Yahoo to BaronBernie
Friends: (1)
Default Pa 22 Tripacer

When I was younger my dad and I would visited a private airfield every Saturday watching small airplanes come in and take off. Occationally we would get to talk to many of the pilots.

The plane that really caught my eye was the PA-22 Piper Tripacer. I would like to try to build one out of foam and fly it. The pilot allowed me to get in and check it out from the inside. A few minutes later I found myself going on a short flight with the pilot.

If anyone has a model of this plane, please let me know.

Many thanx.

baronbernie.

Low and slow is the way to go!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
1geo1
George

Friends: (0)

There are some on rcgroup.com, if memory serves one was for sale
recently...
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Pat Tritle has designed and sells a nice 50" wingspan short kit at www.patscustom-models.com. Here is a link to his build thread on RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1129562 I know you said you were interested in foam, but Pat's kits are a pretty straight forward build, and usually not too difficult. Pat comes from a free flight tradition, so his designs are very light for their size, and usually fly very well.

Mark
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Another option really close a beautiful new ARF of the PA-20....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...0e-arf-EFL2790

I suspect the mod to a PA-22 would be about an hour's work.

Mike
Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

You could always take a 3-view of the plane, and scratch build one.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
You could always take a 3-view of the plane, and scratch build one.
Good idea.

The Sterling Models version comes up fairly often on Ebay, and is not terribly expensive compared with the cost of comparably sized new kits. I wouldn't mind having one of them, and they've been built for electric rc.

Outerzone has several decent plans, although there seems to be very few people that hand cut balsa and build from these plans anymore. It's actually a great deal however, printing the plans at home, and getting quite fast at cutting parts after a few builds.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=259
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=797

enlarging small designs works well also:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=258
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

It's hard to say what the OP's goals and skills are. The first time I did this, I used a simple 3-view and didn't worry about niceties like accurate fuselage cross-section. But ... I produced a cool little model that flies just fine and met my goals.

I can see that you might want way more scale detail than that. (Or, maybe you don't...)

Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

The 3-views work fine, especially when there are no drawings. Sometimes its also easier to build from your own design, even when there are plans. I even used photos for a Loening XSL-2 build, since I couldn't find a 3-view. The plane has flat-straight profiles, so the photos worked fine. It's not a real high detail subject either.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loening_XSL2_44.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	170450
Old 08-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Neat. Like I said: depends on the OP's goals, skillz and etc.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

You've responded to me with that twice now, but nothing discussed here should call for that response. The OP never mentioned their goals and skills. They simply asked for suggestions and I was giving some. I hope you're not suggesting that I am being insensitive to the fact that not everyone is at the same level. It's simply not relevant here and doesn't need to be stated as a response to my replies.

It's hard to say what the OP's goals and skills are. The first time I did this, I used a simple 3-view and didn't worry about niceties like accurate fuselage cross-section. But ... I produced a cool little model that flies just fine and met my goals.

I can see that you might want way more scale detail than that. (Or, maybe you don't...)
It's pretty obvious that there are some assumptions being made, and/or some misunderstandings with that statement. Just shouldn't have been made like that.
Since I don't believe in "beating around the bush" or "insinuating statements", I'll be clear:

You're replying as if you think I was trying to show off, which absolutely isn't the case.

Assuming "you" is me, I have no idea why you are mentioning/asking that, or simply why you have to make anything here about me with your comment. Don't read into my replies as if I was trying to show off in any way, as I wasn't. It clearly comes across, and yes it did, as if you think I was showing off my "highly scale detailed models", while you're just humbly showing your simple model. Please don't paint statements like that, which are simply not the case. No need for comparing your work to mine either, in that fashion. People read far too much into things on the internet, such as "boy he really thinks he's all that", when it wasn't the case at all. Part of the reason I've been drawing away from the model forums, as it just can't be avoided anywhere. Really sad as it's just been ruining the model forums for me to keep dealing with it. Why contribute when you're painted as a show off? You can think of people and take them however you want, but going out of your way to paint someone else in some fashion is completely uncalled for.

I thought it was clear and simple that just like you, I liked the idea of building by hand from drawings or plans.
That's it. Nothing more and nothing less.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

No no no no no. I don't know where you got that impression at all. I wasn't insinuating are implying anything, certainly not that you're 'showing off' or whatever.

I like to build things from foam, too. My builds are not nearly as polished and slick as some other people's builds. Some builders would not be satisfied with what I make - they are much more skilled than I and set their goals accordingly.

It's hard to tell if the OP would be happy with, say, a simple profile build, or if he wants a show-quality scale model or something in between. That's all I was trying to say - that his particular goals and skills will determine the kind of build he should undertake. Not that there's anything wrong with your builds (or mine, or anyone else's).

Peace.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

No no no no no. I don't know where you got that impression at all. I wasn't insinuating are implying anything, certainly not that you're 'showing off' or whatever.

I like to build things from foam, too. My builds are not nearly as polished and slick as some other people's builds. Some builders would not be satisfied with what I make - they are much more skilled than I and set their goals accordingly.

It's hard to tell if the OP would be happy with, say, a simple profile build, or if he wants a show-quality scale model or something in between. That's all I was trying to say - that his particular goals and skills will determine the kind of build he should undertake. Not that there's anything wrong with your builds (or mine, or anyone else's).

Peace.
Because you made the discussion about me with your comments:
Who cares what I may want. This thread is not about me, and I don't care to keep having it redirected toward me.
You unnecessarily told me twice about how we don't know what the OP wants. That's just completely unnecessary, and there was no need to keep saying it.

Not sure what foam has to do with anything here, as I hope this isn't a foam/balsa thing, but I didn't see any mention of it. For what it's worth, I've done a number of builds with foam and really enjoyed it. I just haven't done any in a while, so it may give the appearance to someone here after around '09 or so that I only build with balsa.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Everyone, thank you for your suggestions and let me update a little clearer what I am interested in and how I would like to build the Tripacer.

While I enjoy flying, this will be my first completely scratch built foam plane. I am looking for dimensions to build this plane to get as close as possible to the real thing. My background in this type of building is limited to the plans that are offered by Flite Test. Choose the plane you like, print it out. tape it together and build it.

Because I am doing this by myself with no other help, it may be helpful for you to understand that because of my type of dislexia, pictures alone make the building doublely hard and frustrating. With pictures and dimensions I am able to get a better mental picture, transfer them to a CAD program to be drawn and printed out later.

I am sorry if I have created any problems in this area and thread. One problem with posting any shared idea is that being misunderstood is always something that may be confused for an honest and heart felt reply. I know this first hand as it has happened to me and felt bad and defended my post with an understanding and a different post. It is a shame we are limited to this type of non verbal language.

I have visited the Outerzone site many times only to discover that ordering a set of planes or e-mail questions is not an option given. It also seems that the plane is to be built with balsa wood. This is not a large problem as the changing over to foam is not that much of a problem. One important concern for the plane I want is having the nose wheel steerable.

Once again, thank you for each and every reply in this thread.

baronbernie.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Hey, Bernie! I'm a fan of the Tri-Pacer, too. If I ever am at the point that I can afford a real airplane, this is one on my list.

I encourage you to tackle this project. It'll keep you from getting cabin fever this winter!
Take a look at this thread: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...-Jr-Tiger-quot

The PA-22 would lend itself nicely to the blend of foam/balsa construction. Get to it and watch out for those props!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Hi Pat, Thanks for your link to the Jr-Tiger is very tempting and does look like it would keep me going for the winter.

Presently I am attepting ro fit a pair of wings from the Baby Blender to fit on to the FT3D fuselage. I would like to try and get it to fly like the Pluma that I ripped earlier this year.

As for the PA-22, was the second full scale plane I was given a short ride in. It was a short wing version and rode like a Jeep, very bumpy.

I am not sure what the difference is between the PA-22 and the Colt is, I always thought they were the same!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft