Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

This guy just about nails all down with straight honest - tell it like it is ...

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/howitworks.shtml

He covers so many aspects of Modelling and out of his own pocket.

It's a site that is well worth subscribing to ... he has a Youtube channel to that is again down to earth !

On the topic of 2.4Ghz ... you have to make sure that the review you are reading is up to date ... even RC Model Review I quote is out of date on some ... so look through hsi site and read up but also check out his latest additions etc. to get the updated info.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #27
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Pizzano,
Just like to needle Spektrum owners when given the chance. I've personally witnessed 2 brown outs at our field. Not to say Futaba is perfect. Just that you can't go wrong with Futaba. There are Corolla drivers and Lexus drivers. Both get you from point a to point b.

Denny, not sure about the sunshine aspect. I live in Texas and we have a lot of it. First I've heard about direct sunshine being an issue.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #28
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Pizzano,
Just like to needle Spektrum owners when given the chance. I've personally witnessed 2 brown outs at our field. Not to say Futaba is perfect. Just that you can't go wrong with Futaba. There are Corolla drivers and Lexus drivers. Both get you from point a to point b.

Denny, not sure about the sunshine aspect. I live in Texas and we have a lot of it. First I've heard about direct sunshine being an issue.
IMHO, those brownouts are the result of an inadequate power supply for the receiver. Spektrum has changed the computer software in their receivers several years ago to allow much faster reconnecting with the transmitter after a drop down to less than 3 Volts DC on their receiver input voltage. I've checked mine on an oscillscope, my AR7000's re-connect in about 3/4 second after a momentary drop in voltage. Last year I caught a fellow club member flying a $$$$ wet turbine model full of high power servos, with a 5 cell 2700 Mah Nih "AA" battery pack. He was lucky to have not lost the model. The voltage on that battery pack dropped below 3.5 volts in a fraction of a second with all servos being operated at the same time.

The wet turbine guy has since gone to a LiFe battery with complete success. A few weeks ago, another club member lost the tail on his model during a high speed pass, the model went straight in at full bore. The LiFe battery was bend up pretty bad, with parts of the insides of the battery exposed. No Fire, but the battery was smoking for several minutes. I checked that LiFe battery 1/2 hour later. It was still working.

That's the strange part about Futaba. Apparently several years ago, Futaba had issues with overheating on their receivers, but has apparently corrected it. If so, why does Futaba still have that overtemperature warning on their web site?

As for reliability, one of my club members lost a $$$$ wet turbine model when his top of the line Futaba transmitter simply shut off while he was flying the model. It did the same thing to me twice in my workshop, it was not the battery. Futaba had checked it out, and found nothing wrong with it before I checked it out.

As usual, the best radio system on the market is the system mostly used by your fellow club members. That can vary region by region, and those that have had good luck with the systems they use will indicate their system is the best one on the market.

As for my club, it's 98% Spektrum/JR systems on the 2.4 Ghz frequencies. (And you can't beat Horizon Hobbies service on their radios)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by KenK View Post
While I am not new to RC or Electric RC aircraft I have been away from it for about 5-6 years. Or more time does fly!!!
Now I see there is the 2.4GHZ radios??
I picked up a Flyzone Dr1 RTF with it's own transmitter.
I also got the Anylink adaptor for my JR Sport SX600 transmitter.
So my question is...What is going on here with the new (to me) 2.4GHZ and what should I think of getting for a new transmitter if I want to expand into larger planes again??

If I am in the wrong forum let me know as well.
I have been searching for days and could not find exactly what I need to know.
Thanks;
KenK
KenK,

Did you get the info you need or are you burried in the details? Let's net this out:

If you are getting a new radio, go 2.4 GHz. Period! Picking a radio, ANY RADIO, starts with budget, goals and type of flying you will do. Ignore all the RF chatter until you have this figured out.

FUEL - The type of fuel used, liquid, electric, glider, doesn't matter.

MODEL MEMORIES - For example, I fly gliders and small electric airplanes. I have a bunch of them so I want to have lots of model memories in the radio so I can switch between them easily. How many? Good question. How many planes do you plan to own? Is 10 enough? Will 20 do? More?

MIXES - I fly gliders I look for a radio that has glider mixing. If you are flying helicopters you want a radio that has heli mixing. So, what kind of flying do you plan to do? Do you need special mixes? Most computer radios have some kind of airplane and Heli mixing. Some add glider. Some have more advanced mixes and some have basic mixes.

CHANNELS- For most people 6 channels is plenty. Some Need 8 channels and some can't get by on 14.

BUDGET - Radios can be $50 and they can be $3000. Put a starting number on it. What is low cost to me might be high cost to you. If I was looking at a new radio it would be a midrange priced glider radio, about $400. Is that moderate to you or is that wildly expensive?

When looking at price, does that include a receiver? A $150 radio without a receiver is not cheaper than a $180 radio that comes with a $70 receiver.

HELP - Who will help you? If you have flying buddies and they like their radios, then get what they have. You will have an immediate source of help.

COMPATIBLE RECEIVERS - If you will always buy the same brand receiver as your radio, no problem. If you are the type who likes to look at low cost compatible receivers, then look for a radio where compatibles are available. I have seen compatible receivers for Spektrum/JR DSM2 (they work fine with DSMX radios), Hitec AFHSS and Futaba FASST.

BIND n FLY - These are planes that have built in receivers that you can bind to your radio. Horizon is the best known for these. They are based on the Spektrum/JR line of radios.

Hobbico has a line called TX-R based on their AnyLink module.

If you like these "bind and fly" type planes then get a radio that will work with them. If you like the Hobbico TX-R planes which are like BnF, then make sure your radio will accept your AnyLink module.

NOW YOU HAVE A BASIS TO LOOK AT RADIOS.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #30
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

This DX7s is a super deal right now. In this package, the DX7s is lower cost than a DX6i. Very capable radio for most pilots.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-md2-SPM7800C

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners