Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Friends: (0)

I know with my champ, if I turn throttle off, it will glide nicely and I can still steer it well.....I'm just wondering, can u do that with the f4u corsair?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

I know with my champ, if I kill the throttle, it will glide icily and I can still steer it good......can you do that with the corsair?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Sorry...I didn't mean to post that twice
Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #29
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Yes, you can fly any plane with the throttle closed. You just need to make sure to keep airspeed up. the Corsair will glide quite well.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Okay cool, thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #31
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?! View Post
I know with my champ, if I kill the throttle, it will glide icily and I can still steer it good......can you do that with the corsair?
ALL planes will glide - it's a matter of just keeping the nose down ... if you find it coming in too fast - then gently with the up-elevator.... but beware of dreaded wing-drop / stall.
On glide - it's good idea to keep turns and changes as small as possible to avoid stalling out ... but 'm sure you already know that.

I'm just uploading a vid of my Cessna 182 ... you may want to see that ... link will be posted shortly.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

If you can cut foam and glue it together you could build these out of 3 sheets of dollar tree foam or blue dow fanfold Or you could go buy one for a 100 or so at the hobby shop ,the chineese will thank you.lmao It amases me that with all the free easy to build plane's and free plans out there , when some one ask's what new plane i should get they send them straight to the hobby shop to look for arf. How about becoming a plane builder annd flyer so you dont show up at the club field and look like every one elses arf. My rant for the day ,sorry. I have built 3 and 1/2 of these planes the one thats half done is the ultron a 3-d airplane all the way to the right the one on floats is on my build list soon .Except for the ultron all these i found on the german forums using a google translater ,they desighn some nice planes . If you ever want to build any just pm me and i will give you a link to the tiled plans and build photos. I have thousands of balsa plane plans too . joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aufmacher another cute one.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	163227

Name:	DSC00004-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	163228

Name:	P1000682.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	163229

Name:	magnum 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	163230

Name:	ultrron.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	163231
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
If you can cut foam and glue it together you could build these out of 3 sheets of dollar tree foam or blue dow fanfold Or you could go buy one for a 100 or so at the hobby shop ,the chineese will thank you.lmao It amases me that with all the free easy to build plane's and free plans out there , when some one ask's what new plane i should get they send them straight to the hobby shop to look for arf. How about becoming a plane builder annd flyer so you dont show up at the club field and look like every one elses arf. My rant for the day ,sorry. I have built 3 and 1/2 of these planes the one thats half done is the ultron a 3-d airplane all the way to the right the one on floats is on my build list soon .Except for the ultron all these i found on the german forums using a google translater ,they desighn some nice planes . If you ever want to build any just pm me and i will give you a link to the tiled plans and build photos. I have thousands of balsa plane plans too . joe
I agree with you that there ae many good plans out there ... free as well. But problem is 'confidence factors' and also knowledge to set-up and commission a scratchbuild / plan plane. Many people learn on such as HZ Champ, which is fine ... but don't learn build skills.

I get immense satisfaction putting a few sheets of foam / balsa etc. together and it flies. But I have to admit that I also enjoy paying for an ARF and putting that in the air ...

For a person graduating from first trainer - I think a second ARF that needs a bit more skill to set-up is fine ... as we all know very few out of box planes are actually suitable to launch straight of. Hinges, CoG, various bits abd bobs not quite right etc.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #34
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Nigel i can see your point ,kinda but when alot of us learned to fly they had no arfs so either you built or you could not fly. This is the age of why work for anything when you could just push the buy button. All iam saying is lets give them a option and they are smart enough to think for their selves . joe
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel i can see your point ,kinda but when alot of us learned to fly they had no arfs so either you built or you could not fly. This is the age of why work for anything when you could just push the buy button. All iam saying is lets give them a option and they are smart enough to think for their selves . joe
Joe ... I am from that era as well !! My first model waa a kiel Kraft Radian C/L model ... full built-up and tissue. Next was Veron Robot RC ... full built-up and tissue.
Later as you know - ARF was in fact a halfway kit ... with still a lot of work to be done ... not like todays foam jobs.

Recently I took a destroyed F16 and rebuilt it ... scarfing in pieces, remaking various parts ... previous owner couldn't believe it was same bag of bits ! But to do that I needed to understand about what I was doing and effects of various ...
The guy is on his 9th .... yes 9th Cessna ....

Many of todays flyers I feel haven't got that because of the 'fly out of box' style model today.

Nigel

Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #36
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Joe ... I am from that era as well !! My first model waa a kiel Kraft Radian C/L model ... full built-up and tissue. Next was Veron Robot RC ... full built-up and tissue.
Later as you know - ARF was in fact a halfway kit ... with still a lot of work to be done ... not like todays foam jobs.

Recently I took a destroyed F16 and rebuilt it ... scarfing in pieces, remaking various parts ... previous owner couldn't believe it was same bag of bits ! But to do that I needed to understand about what I was doing and effects of various ...
The guy is on his 9th .... yes 9th Cessna ....

Many of todays flyers I feel haven't got that because of the 'fly out of box' style model today.

Nigel
Now thats why builders like you and me should give them help learning how to build their own. Two newbees here where i fly have built one of those foam planes i posted and now building others after seeing my cheap foam planes fly and they are having a blast building thier own and flying them too. Its called paying back the oldtimers that took some time to teach me. Here is my last big build and my last foam one. joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_7017.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	163232

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	163233

Name:	slowly 5 mine.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	163234
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I pass on what little I know to anyone who listens / wants to know ... but here there are not so many Rc'rs.

I tend to post on forums piccies / notes / tips / tricks which I hope others can use or adapt to their need.

Since foam has taken up such a part of modelling - I've managed to combine the two forms .... balsa / wood with foam. Wood providing the backbone and strength ... foam providing the shape and form. It works as well. For me I don't care what the material is if it works ....

Nigel

Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I have built with balsa for 30 years and now learning the ins and outs of foam like you to use both to build lighter planes .It makes no difference to me either but alot of balsa builders turn their nose up at foam and its their loss because so many are building great flying planes from much lighter foam. joe
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #39
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I pass on what little I know to anyone who listens / wants to know ... but here there are not so many Rc'rs.

I tend to post on forums piccies / notes / tips / tricks which I hope others can use or adapt to their need.

Since foam has taken up such a part of modelling - I've managed to combine the two forms .... balsa / wood with foam. Wood providing the backbone and strength ... foam providing the shape and form. It works as well. For me I don't care what the material is if it works ....

Nigel

im a newb and after going to a fly-in (my first) and seeing some of these homemade planes in action. i would love to start building my own, especially with winter coming up. i would love any information that either of you could help me with.

johnny o.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #40
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

To support my recc'd Cessna 182 ..... here's a video of me flying the Skyartec couple of days ago ... (note this model is near 2 yrs old now and still going well .... few nicks and dents ... but still good ...)

http://youtu.be/YKAwipK8z2k

Nigel

Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #41
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
im a newb and after going to a fly-in (my first) and seeing some of these homemade planes in action. i would love to start building my own, especially with winter coming up. i would love any information that either of you could help me with.

johnny o.
Here is the slowly ,very easy to build and floats are there too. Iam cracksmeup on RCG and you can see mine there too. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22098736 I will post the magnum here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595008 Both of these are from the german forums made out of epp but ken and gary made them from fanfold or dollar tree foam and gorilla glue. The ultron is a 3-d bird and i like it because it has a full fuse and real airfoil rather than a flat foamy ,videos and planes are in all of these. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ultron If you build it and need any help just pm me. The red and white (pinkus) i cant load here because i gues it to much with 35 pages but i can send you to the video and their free downloads at the top of this page. http://modell-aviator.de/videos/mode...inkus-special/ For some of you who would like to build a balsa plane there are over 3000 plans here free for the download. Among them are the Q-t and the origanal kadet SR http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp These are free seaplane downloads from a german forum both foam and balsa.http://info.rc-wasserflieger.at/downloads.htm
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #42
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post

johnny o.

This vid should inspire you: http://youtu.be/fhtO6f-pUdk

Two complete newbs flying F-22's profile foamie parkjets for their first or second rc flying experience. N icely done !

Easy to make from Dollar Tree foam. Just need the motor(Grayson V2 or Micro-Dan) , 20-30 amp esc, 2 Htx 900 9g servos or equivalent, a 6x5 e prop. you're own rx, a 3S lipo, some horns, a couple of rods, some hot glue, packing tape and you're good to go. I have over 100 flights on my F-22 and she keeps coming back for more.

Cheers,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #43
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Here is a video of Jurgen from germany flying his slowly off of land and water .You can see why they named it the slowly . http://www.rcmovie.de/video/c7968f26dfa4088cc84c Iam flying mine with a 1500 kv e-max motor 18 amp esc and a 1000 lipo .
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #44
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I got this one from mike in CA but its not a second airplane for a new guy .This is for some one who has built a few planes and can flly them . This is for you 3-d guys who can shread the sky,its a 38 inch wing span and looks fun.You can find the plans on post number 1549 and while you are there check out their great foam for sale,iam just to cheap to buy any.lol http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...33245&page=104
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #45
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Christmas needs to hurry...my champ won't last much longer haha
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #46
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

Road King--this plane...

That is such a cool looking plane! Do you have plans or can you tell me where to find them?

Every time I go on WF I see another plane I've got to build. I'm retired and don't have to report to a job any more. Where in the world am I going to find the time to build all the planes I see and want so badly??
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Road King--this plane...

That is such a cool looking plane! Do you have plans or can you tell me where to find them?

Every time I go on WF I see another plane I've got to build. I'm retired and don't have to report to a job any more. Where in the world am I going to find the time to build all the planes I see and want so badly??
You can find the tiled pdf here but on i think page 18 post number 259 is where jurgen from germany took it and made a full fuse out of it . Its a cute bibe at 24 inch wing span . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497522 Here is jurgens flying video of it .http://www.rcmovie.de/video/8947040e511b7f29ce55

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000538.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	163249

Name:	P1000555.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	163250
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #48
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

If for some reason I cant get help from anyone at my rc club (like if I can't go), would my dad and I be able to learn how to fly the f4u corsair effectively on our own?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #49
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?! View Post
If for some reason I cant get help from anyone at my rc club (like if I can't go), would my dad and I be able to learn how to fly the f4u corsair effectively on our own?
Why chance wrecking a new plane ,iam shure you can find someone at your club to at least take it up and trim it out for you but i would hope they would watch over you while you get use to it, joe
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #50
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
The Trojan would make a fine 2nd plane imho
Take care
Yours Hank

i just maiden'd my t28 trojan late yesterday evening. all i can say i WOW!! big difference from a super cub and champ. i did alright till my dx6 trim button broke(which ive already fixed). glad i was on a trainer cord with my buddy. very very fast. highly recommended.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
beginner , f4u corsair , p-51 mustang , second plane , t-28 trojan