Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)
Default Orange 3 Axis Stabilizer

Anyone out there have any experience with these things, good or bad? I downloaded a pdf owner's manual, because I ordered one from Hobby King for 18 bucks, gonna pop it in my big P47, give it a whack...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14
Friends: (5)

Have you got a like to this as I'm not able to find it on there site.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25448

Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with these things, good or bad? I downloaded a pdf owner's manual, because I ordered one from Hobby King for 18 bucks, gonna pop it in my big P47, give it a whack...
have been wondering the same, if they work? thought it may give me more confidence on windy days or help my ol lady learning to fly.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I've seen some videos of people using them, but no comprehensive 'reviews.' For $15, though, I'll probably throw one in my next HK order and give it a try.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
matiac
What, me worry?

Nope, no full-on reviews, just tantalizing little tid-bits here and there. I have one on the way, for now gonna throw it in my 750mm P47, it's going finally in my big P47, but I'll throw something together when I get it in and fly the plane around, see how I like it. It's supposed to be pretty good, I guess we'll see...

Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Interesting little unit. About the only thing that concerns me is the no manual. I don't see any orientation marks as to the position of the gyro. I wonder if it can be on its side or does it have to be flat on the bottom of the airplane? Only other downside is only one plug for aileron so you have to use a y-cable. I would have hit the 'Buy' button but looks like others beat me to it. I'll be waiting for the stock to return. BTW I read most of the reviews and it seems to do what it is advertise to do.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
matiac
What, me worry?

Got one from H.K. if you go to the product page, scroll to the bottom of the page, go in files, and this cat MyCoolRC put a self-made manual there that's pretty concise, pretty much covers everything...

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Oooo! I'm seeing aileron right and aileron left on this little unit. Glad I added my email to be notified when back in stock. Matiac, thanks for pointing the files link as I had looked earlier and didn't see it. Downloaded the manual pdf and going through it. This is on my buy list.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

BTW, for an earlier experiment I found these 6" female to female here at a good price and fair shipping. They had my order to me here in Tucson in three days.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
matiac
What, me worry?

I got a couple LHS's within driving distance I can get the plugs at, should be getting mine in a couple weeks...it FINALLY shipped 2 days ago...

Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

They're finally back in stock at Hobby King and I picked one up. Should be here after the boat paddles over the pond. Actually I opt'd for Air this time as it was only a buck more. Looking forward to trying this one out I only wish there was a way to control it from a switch on the transmitter.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
matiac
What, me worry?

Question: did you order it when it came back into stock, or while it was out of stock? I broke the "cardinal rule", and ordered while out of stock, and WHAT A NIGHTMARE! I learned my lesson...NEVER again! Did finally get mine though, and have my adapters on the way as I type...

Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

I put a "notify when back in stock' and received the email on Wednesday. Was busy and finally ordered it last night. Trying to figure out what plane to test in at the moment.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
matiac
What, me worry?

I'm going to try it in my FMS 750MM P47, see how it goes there, and may just keep it in that and get another for my big FMS 1400MM P47...the big one's getting a different TX/RX, that plane won't be ready to go up until next season...lot to do to that one!!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Matiac,

We'll have to compare notes. I'm just getting started with the Bluelight 3G. http://www.bluelight-tech.com/ Came with everything including: CD-ROM, (4) 3 pin connectors, great, easy reading manual, downloadable Firmware and Software upgrades and a USB cable for programming and PC setup. Even came with a fine adjustment screwdriver for the potentiometer pods. This is one is more like $56.00, much more in price than the $15.00 Orange. So far, I'm extremely impressed with what I see here.

Going to test in a variety of planes including a 51" Yak-54 and some of my hand launched, torque roll into the ground, 50mm edf's and twitchy Jpowers mini-warbirds.

Will post test results soon.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
matiac
What, me worry?

Hmm...thought for sure my patches would be here today, they didn't show. According to the tracking thingy they're in town, jeez hope I have 'em tomorrow for Sunday. I've been hearing a lot of folks using the factory settings with good results, I'll probably mess around with different settings, see how it goes. For once I'm HOPING for some wind, as most times when we go, it's dead calm, negating the need for it except to keep it level for launch. The GY48V that's in the plane now does a great job for that, so I'll compare the 2 for that aspect, and maybe the wind'll pick up after the Sun's full-up. We shall see...

Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

Does that thing have to be installed in a certain position to work properly? Like flat on the floor (of the plane), facing one way or another, etc.? Or could you slap it up against the side of a profile fuselage and be fine?

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
matiac
What, me worry?

Label/plug side facing up, plugs facing either forward or rearward...

Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #20
wedoitall

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Matiac,

We'll have to compare notes. I'm just getting started with the Bluelight 3G. http://www.bluelight-tech.com/ Came with everything including: CD-ROM, (4) 3 pin connectors, great, easy reading manual, downloadable Firmware and Software upgrades and a USB cable for programming and PC setup. Even came with a fine adjustment screwdriver for the potentiometer pods. This is one is more like $56.00, much more in price than the $15.00 Orange. So far, I'm extremely impressed with what I see here.

Going to test in a variety of planes including a 51" Yak-54 and some of my hand launched, torque roll into the ground, 50mm edf's and twitchy Jpowers mini-warbirds.

Will post test results soon.

-Hawk
are you able to turn on and off with a switch on tx? was looking at the kk 2.0 also. very interested in your results......... so hurry up and help me make up my mind lol....
Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #21
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

View buzzbomber's Gallery11
Friends: (3)

If I can bring myself to order from HK again, I may have to try one of these. I've been very impressed with the AS3X system in my mCPx over the last 18 months and finally got around to picking up the Eflite MIG-15, so now I know how much it can smooth out a fixed-wing as well. If the Orange version works anywhere near that well, I can think of a few planes I've had that would benefit...

Matt

Down with Gravity!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #22
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Been playing with a KK 3.0 but haven't quit got it dialed in yet. So took it out of the Coachman and going to put it in something a little slower to get the feel of what is happening when I activate it. I think I will put the Orange in the SkyWalker and replace the old FMA Co-Pilot and reduce some of the drag.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Label/plug side facing up, plugs facing either forward or rearward...
Agreed so plug naming is correct, but because it's a 3 axis item - in fact you could mount in any of the axis but you would then need to swap around the plugs to make sure correct axis is working respective control.

Nigel

Still waiting the HK 86 board to get in stock which has the advantage of also covering Delta / V tail which Orange does not.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
wedoitall

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I've seen some videos of people using them, but no comprehensive 'reviews.' For $15, though, I'll probably throw one in my next HK order and give it a try.

have you seen these videos on the orangerx stabilizer, bout as close to a review that ive seen.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
matiac
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Agreed so plug naming is correct, but because it's a 3 axis item - in fact you could mount in any of the axis but you would then need to swap around the plugs to make sure correct axis is working respective control.

Nigel

Still waiting the HK 86 board to get in stock which has the advantage of also covering Delta / V tail which Orange does not.
If that's the i86A, that thing is supposed to be the $#1+, but every time I look, it's not in stock...which, now that I think about it, didn't stop me from backordering the Orange...OH WELL! Got my patches gonna be delivered today, so tomorrow's the day!! Stay tuned...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions