Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Dave D

Friends: (0)
Default Funjet ultra ESC or motor problem

I would like to know if anyone has had the same problem as me with the Multiplex Ultra combo. HC3514-2900 and Castle Creations LITE ICE 75. When I power up to about half throttle the motor goes into what sounds like it is vibration or prop cavitation. Not sure if this motor ESC combo is truly compatible. As soon as that happens the ESC gets a high amp spike and cooks the ESC. I have bought a second of the same combo with the same results. Sent both motors to Himax and they have reported no issues with either. Castle creations has fixed both ESCs twice. Running SKY LIPO 3 cell 4400 40c 80c burst. MAX has updated instructions for recommended settings which I have tried. standard timing PWM rate at 16Khz. Spent most of this flying season trying to resolve this issue. (HELP)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

hello dave and welcome to wattflyer. i don't know whats up with your setup,but could you share the prop size your spinning? have you done a watt/amp meter to the setup? i also fly the funjet ultra using a headsup rc powerup jet 450 brushless and 4cell 2800mah 30c zippy using the caslte creations ice 100amp esc. this is overkill but its what i had in the drawer and i may switch things up to go 6cell later. one problem i had was a bad zippy pack that must have been sagging in power during wot causing the motor to cut out and need rearming[lvc].most likely a bad cell.

that pack swelled up after a few cycles and has been trashed. i hope you fix the problem and please let us know what you find out. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Dave D

I'm using the 6x5.5 that came with the motor ESC combo. Looking back at the logged data from the ESC I am between 60 and 70 amps max. I can't understand how I can purchase two of these combos and both have the same problem with both. I have tried multiple batteries with both and same issues. Spent 300.00 for these two motor ESC combos and have not been able to run through a complete battery. Very frustrated.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Dave D

Here is a video of the problem that I am having. Toward the end you will hear the problem. If I let this happen a couple of times it will cook the ESC.
http://youtu.be/CsDKcVrZpF8
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
welshboy

Default Re: Funjet ultra ESC or motor problem

I don't know the model, but have you tried balancing/changing the stock prop? The stock one I had on my Skysurfer was far too flexible.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes