Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,049 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (309)
Default WHATS a UBEC ? and Who Needs Them ?

Hi I have been asked this Question a Lot, and a lot of people are unaware that a UBEC is needed is some applications, WHY I will try to explain why, and give some references, most ESC/ BECs are only rated for about 2 amps, on there BEC Battery, Eliminator, Circuit, the 2 amps is not a true rating, its less than that, If your using 3 to 4 servos, using Digital servos, using standard size servos, using a 4 cell lipo or bigger, you need to be using a UBEC Universal, Battery, Eliminator, Circuit or the BEC in the ESC will get over loaded and cause a Crash, its cheap Insurance to use a UBEC, here is some info from Heads Up Rc, that I found to be a great source of information, and from Castle Creations and others, hope this helps to explain why a UBEC is needed, we all want to protect our Investment in our Planes, I know I do hope this info helps, take care, Chellie.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-3-Amp-/Detail

Buss tie Circuit I really like this, you dont have to remove the red esc wire, its tied together with the ubec http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73141

UBEC 3 Amp Universal Battery Elimination Circuit

3 Amp UBEC - Universal Battery Elimination Circuit

This3 amp Universal Battery Elimination Circuit (UBEC) is a 'switch mode' DC regulator that takes the high voltage (up to 23 volts) of the main battery pack and converts it to a consistant and safe 5 or 6 volts (selectable) for your receiver and servos. A UBEC is needed if the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) being used for the motor does not have a built in Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC), or if the BEC of the ESC is inadequate to power the number and/or size of servos being used.
Using a 3A UBEC is a safer way to go on large models for the following reasons:
1. Most built-in BEC circuits are 1 to 2 amp 'linear mode' circuits which are only useful for 2 or possibly 3 standard size servos when using a 3 cell Lipo battery. If you use more servos, or a higher voltage battery pack, you will almost certainly overload the BEC, causing a crashed model.
2. In an ESC with a built-in BEC, excessive heat generated in the ESC by the current draw of the motor and/or BEC can cause total loss of power to the receiver/servos, resulting in a crashed model. The chance of total loss of power is greatly reduced when a separate receiver battery pack or UBEC is used. If the ESC overheats and shuts down (no power to the motor), you will still have power to the receiver/servos, and will be able to maintain control of the model.
The UBEC is connected directly to the main battery pack of an electric model, the same as the ESC. In fact, the power input wires of the UBEC are often spliced into the power input wires of the ESC. The power output wires of the UBEC have a receiver connector on them, and this is usually plugged into any open channel of the receiver. If the ESC being used has a built in BEC, that BEC must be disabled when using a UBEC. To disable the BEC of an ESC, simply disconnect the red wire on the receiver plug of the ESC.
This 3A UBEC includes aferrite ring that is installed on the receiver wire for reducing interference.
3A UBEC Specifications:
Input Voltage: 5.5v to 23v
Output Voltage: 5v or 6v selectable by jumper pin
Continuous Current: 3 amps
Regulator type: Switching
Receiver Connector: Universal 'S' type
Interference Reduction: Ferrite Ring
Weight: 0.3 oz (9 grams)
Size: 1.7 x 0.6 x 0.25 inches

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

and some more info

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html

Products > CC BEC

CC BEC SWITCHING REGULATOR
Current Output:

Peak: 10 amps
Continuous:
<12 volts input = 7 amps*

<24 volts input = 5 amps**Ratings are determined with a 5mph airflow on the BEC. Servo connectors are not rated for current in excess of 5 amps. Users are encouraged to replace the connectors if more than 5 amp currents are anticipated.
Output Voltage:

Output 5.1 volts out of the package, user may set output voltage from 4.8 to 9 using the Castle Link (sold separately).
Input Voltage:

5v to 25.2v (2S to 6S LiPo)
Length:

Width:
Height:
1.2” (30mm)
0.6” (15mm)

0.4” (10mm)
Weight:

0.4 oz (11 grams)No small animals or interns were harmed in the incredibly long development of this product. Some engineers maybe, but that is a personal matter. They are fine now.
What the heck is a BEC?
Our Battery Eliminator Circuit is a little device that eliminates the need for a receiver and servo battery pack. It draws higher voltage from the motor batteries and drops it to a voltage level that is suitable for your receiver and servos. This is required in applications which draw high power for multiple servos or use more than 3S motor packs, as most ESCs with linear BECs are not designed for these applications.
CC BEC is better because it is smaller, cheaper, and far more powerful.
See the CC BEC User Guide or the CC BEC FAQ page for more details.
CC BEC retail price only $24.95

TOUGH ENOUGH!
How tough is the CC BEC? Ask John Robert Holmes, owner of Holmes Hobbies, known for rock crawlers. Crawler guys have yet to find a switching BEC that can stand up to their own unique punishment. John was truly impressed! "I wish I could have blown this sucker up, but so far I am not able to even get it to shut down from overheating." This video shows John testing CC BEC with 57 lbs. loaded up on his platform.
CC BEC Wiring Diagram
Click image for larger view
CC BEC Usage Advisories
CC BEC Usage Advisory #1:
Multiple CC BEC Setup

CC BEC Usage Advisory #2:
Testing Potentially Damaged CC BECs

CC BEC MULTI-PACK INSTALLATION
Click image for larger view Click here for a printable version (516k PDF)

CC BEC/SPEKTRUM Compatibility instructions

Castle has learned of a slight incompatibility of the CC BEC with the SPEKTRUM AR 6100, 6200, 7000, JR 790 ScanSelect, and JR 2100 ScanSelect Synthesized receivers. There is a very easy work around for our customers who already have the CC BEC and we are making modifications to the components of all new CC BECs that are built from Nov. 1, 2007, forward.

The simple explanation is that the CC BEC, like most Castle products, is designed to be USB linkable via the signal wire on the servo connector. As part of that, the CC BEC will pull the signal wire to ground unless it is sending a signal on that line. Nothing out of the ordinary with this. Similarly, the Spektrum team designed these receivers to look for a grounded signal pin on the battery port in order to initiate binding. Nothing strange there either. Castle does something similar with our Berg receivers. The problem is that the two designs result in the CC BEC triggering the receiver's binding mode immediately upon power up. We have redesigned the CC BEC to facilitate the USB activities without initiating the binding mode.

For those of you with the affected CC BECs and Spektrum receivers there are at least three solutions:
  1. <LI class=bodytext-whitetext>Remove the orange signal wire from the CC BEC RX power lead before you plug the lead into the battery port on the receiver. <LI class=bodytext-whitetext>Plug the entire/intact lead from the CC BEC into any other port on the receiver.
  2. Use a "Y" connector to plug the entire CC BEC lead into any port other than the BATT port on the receiver.
If you are unsatisfied with any of the above solutions, please simply send your CC BEC to Castle for upgrade.
Please note that this incompatibility will be immediately apparent. There are no known issues after the system is successfully powered up.

Thanks!
Team Castle

235 South Kansas Avenue, Olathe, Kansas 66061, USA

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Liquidity
Combat Vet

View Liquidity's Gallery62
Club: Hodges Hobbies, RAA, and GAMA
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  1kW  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (26)

Dont forget the best BEC around. The Parkbec, sportbec and Very High Voltage BEC (VHBEC) by Dimension Engineering

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things..." http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27169.html
Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Dont forget the best BEC around. The Parkbec, sportbec and Very High Voltage BEC (VHBEC) by Dimension Engineering
Thank you Liquidity for Chiming in please give a link to the Parkbec, thank You, Chellie

Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Awards Showcase

Sorry Chellie, I did not mean to butt in I am just soo bored looking for conversation.

Here is the link to all the Dimension Engineering Products, including the BECs

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things..." http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27169.html
Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #6
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I have a couple of these from Medusa Research and they perform very well also.

http://www.medusaproducts.com/BECs/BEC%20Main.htm

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
Gohmer
Banned

View Gohmer's Gallery28
Club: SMMAC / MARCEE / Duluth Superior RC
Friends: (5)
Smile UBEC

It is a poor substitute for a receiver battery and possible source of glitches if you are using 72mhz.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Awards Showcase

Poor sub? Hardly! A receiver battery is heavy, a bec is a few grams.

I see it as an alternative to a receiver pack, not a poor sub.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #9
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Poor sub? Hardly! A receiver battery is heavy, a bec is a few grams.

I see it as an alternative to a receiver pack, not a poor sub.
Agreed. In a plane like my sons Diamante, and my Super Airliner it is a huge space and weight saver. In my 1/5th scale Waco I run a Rx pack since weight and space is not an issue

Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Sorry Chellie, I did not mean to butt in I am just soo bored looking for conversation.

Here is the link to all the Dimension Engineering Products, including the BECs

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/
Hi Liquidity Your not butting in you are helping to give Valuable information and insite to why a UBEC is needed in some applications, this helps to prevent problems and possible crashes, Please give your thoughts on the Subject and Others please do the Same, Pos or Neg input is Welcome on UBECs, that way everyone can come to their own Conclusion, This thread is ment to inform, and I know there are a lot of different Opinions, Thats OK, they are all Welcome, Take care, Chellie

Old 09-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #11
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Per Ms Chellies advice I run um on anything that uses more than three servos ( sence the not formentioned " In'see'dent"" with the monkey chopper) Thanks my Bub'ett!! your bub, steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 571.jpg
Views:	2776
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	78370

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
It is a poor substitute for a receiver battery and possible source of glitches if you are using 72mhz.
Hi Gohmer UBECs have there place, in a smaller model, they work great, if a extra battery pack is to heavy, they could be a source of a glitch, if a person has a Cheapy receiver, I only use Berg Receivers for 72mhz, and never ever had a glitch with a berg receiver, they are almost like a 2.4, they will lock onto your transmitter, Great little receiver, and they are not expensive, about the same price as others, Thank you for Chiming in, Take care, Chellie

Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 AM   #13
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

View vax6335's Gallery12
Club: Fort Wayne Flying Circuits
Send a message via AIM to vax6335 Send a message via MSN to vax6335 Send a message via Yahoo to vax6335
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (0)

Could one of these be used to run a 2 or 3 cell lipo as a Rx pack only? Would there be an advantage to doing that? Say, running a 2 or 3 cell 1500 lipo w/ a ubec as opposed to a normal 4.8v 1500 rx pack.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
Could one of these be used to run a 2 or 3 cell lipo as a Rx pack only? Would there be an advantage to doing that? Say, running a 2 or 3 cell 1500 lipo w/ a ubec as opposed to a normal 4.8v 1500 rx pack.
Sure they can thats what they are for, to take the load off of a ESC-BEC, normally a ESC-BEC is only about 2 amps if that, so its best to use a UBEC of higher amperage 3 to 4 amps, when using 4 servos, or digital servos, the advantage would be in using a lipo over a Ni Cad rx pack would be lite weight advantage, and possible more flying time, and you can use a larger lipo than a Ni Cad, and have the same weight , and more flying time, Hope that helps, Chellie

Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 AM   #15
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

View vax6335's Gallery12
Club: Fort Wayne Flying Circuits
Send a message via AIM to vax6335 Send a message via MSN to vax6335 Send a message via Yahoo to vax6335
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

I think I'll end up with one of these then. I'm about to put a .60 Corsair in the air (shhh, it's glow) and wanted to use a lipo for a rx pack.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
I think I'll end up with one of these then. I'm about to put a .60 Corsair in the air (shhh, it's glow) and wanted to use a lipo for a rx pack.

that will work fine use the castel creation 10 amp UBEC, you will have enough amps for every thing you need, and it will last you a long time, Take care, Chellie

Old 10-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #17
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
that will work fine use the castel creation 10 amp esc, you will have enough amps for every thing you need, and it will last you a long time, Take care, Chellie
I think you mean the 10 amp BEC not ESC right???

Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I think you mean the 10 amp BEC not ESC right???
Yes, Silly me Thank you Bill for catching that Take care, Chellie

Old 10-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Hi Andy,
While there is certainly no problem using a 2S lipo with a UBEC. You may want to look into going with 2S A123 cells for your glow powered models, big advantage is they require no regulator, as long as the servos are rated for 6V (5 cell) operation. I fly glow and electric, my 5 cell Nicds are due for retirement at the end of the season, I plan on switching over, as I have two Cellpros with A123 capability.
Good luck,
Pete

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Hi Andy,
While there is certainly no problem using a 2S lipo with a UBEC. You may want to look into going with 2S A123 cells for your glow powered models, big advantage is they require no regulator, as long as the servos are rated for 6V (5 cell) operation. I fly glow and electric, my 5 cell Nicds are due for retirement at the end of the season, I plan on switching over, as I have two Cellpros with A123 capability.
Good luck,
Pete
Hi Pete I like your Quote, it cute The A123 cells are Nice, if weight is not a problem, as the A123 cells weigh twice as much as a lipo, for the same given capacity, that is something to concider when using A123 cells, Take Care, Chellie

Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #21
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Hi Chellie,
I agree, A123 have a definite weight penalty for powering an electric model, I only would consider lipos for that.
On the other hand powering a radio system, particularly in a larger wet powered model is a nuther story, for my .60 to .90 sized glow powered models 1100mA is quite adequate, so that would only be 2 AA sized A123 cells (currently I'm using 5 cell nicds), in fact they would probably be a great alternative to a traditional 4 cell AAA pack for a non powered glider.
Regards,
Pete

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 AM   #22
Castor
Castor

View Castor's Gallery25
Club: UnClub
Friends: (8)

Chellie Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure i crashed my Mini Ultra Stick for this exact reason. I will be investing in a UBEC. You can count on it.

Thanks again
Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #23
pburt1975
Hotel California

View pburt1975's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (10)

Thanks Chellie, just save me a couple of crashes. I've got 2 planes on the bench now with 4 servos on them. The one I've been testing mostly the ESC was getting hot on, just sitting static with everything hooked up.

Is there anything special to hooking one up? just plug and play?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
aero_k

Friends: (3)

This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to clarify something.
I have planes with 4 or 5 servos, but they are all 9g micro servos. Do I need a UBEC in this case?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #25
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Depends on your amp draw Aero. Normally 5 small ones should be ok. But if you are running them in a really high amp motor application an external BEC would be recommended.

For the average park flyer, no, you shouldn't need one.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros

Tags
ubec