Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
aymodeler

Friends: (0)
Default H9 Ultra Cub Conversion?

I just picked up a NIB Hangar 9 Ultra J3 Cub (HAN1500) that I'd like to set up as electric. It has an 80" wingspan and is designed for .40 -.46 sized 2 stroke. This is an older model with no factory option for electric.

I am planning a 4 cell LiPo with a motor in the 600 - 800 Kv range and a 60 amp ESC.

Has anyone done this conversion? Any tips on mounting the batteries?

Edit: I found a few references for conversions of a later version with a two piece wing and battery access through a hatch on the fuse top - no such simple luck for me.

Al
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

Go search for conversions of Sig's 1/5th scale J3 Cub, with the regular wingspan, as opposed to the clipwing. At 84.5" span, it's 'real' 1/6th as opposed to the ready made world's IMAA legal 80" and a little bit, but close enough. I electrocuted a Sig 1/5th some years back, but if I rattled off the battery size and motor configuration, you'd think you were reading a history book

High wingers are a royal PITA to set up for battery swaps. Mine had a two piece wing and scale access door in the fuselage, so I sat my battery on the cockpit floor, hard up against the back of the firewall and re-charged it in place. Like I said, it's a while back, when batteries didn't have a rep for blowing up if they got upset over charging.

In your place, I'd be looking real hard at A123 packs, maybe 5 or even 6 cells, so I could install the battery, a safety device to unhook it from the ESC and charging point access.

Hope that helps

D
Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
I just picked up a NIB Hangar 9 Ultra J3 Cub (HAN1500) that I'd like to set up as electric. It has an 80" wingspan and is designed for .40 -.46 sized 2 stroke. This is an older model with no factory option for electric.

I am planning a 4 cell LiPo with a motor in the 600 - 800 Kv range and a 60 amp ESC.

Has anyone done this conversion? Any tips on mounting the batteries?

Edit: I found a few references for conversions of a later version with a two piece wing and battery access through a hatch on the fuse top - no such simple luck for me.

Al
What is the flying weight supposed to be?

0.46 for a wingspan that size, must be pretty light.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)