Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #26
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

The 7 channel Frysky's I buy are FASST compatible. Bind directly to my Futaba TX (6EX). No module needed. Finally available in the US from Value Hobby with $2-$3 shipping. Was buying them from the HK International site. I've found them to be better than the Orange or Corona Fasst compatibles.

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...-receiver.html

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #27
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
The 7 channel Frysky's I buy are FASST compatible. Bind directly to my Futaba TX (6EX). No module needed. Finally available in the US from Value Hobby with $2-$3 shipping. Was buying them from the HK International site. I've found them to be better than the Orange or Corona Fasst compatibles.

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...-receiver.html

-Hawk
You mention Corona ... I chose FrSky instead of the Corona system for the 9x based on its freq hopping system. Corona at the time was a limited system and I'd heard some bad reports about it.
What I do like with Corona though is the synthesized Rx I got to go with my old 1980's JR 35Mhz. A real pain to get to lock onto the freq .. but once achieved - very nice. It's given a whole new lease of life to my old radio. In fact I even considered getting a second one and locking to my RTF 35Mhz cheap 4ch Tx .. for use on cheap scratchbuild jobs.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #28
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

FrSky has FrSky receivers that work with their module. They also have Futaba FASST rceivers that work with FASST radios, no module needed.

www.alofthobhies.com

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #29
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by ChuenouXiao View Post
Oh ok, wow.... thanks for the info. Why do you like the Futaba line? Do they all have nice tension when moving the sticks around?
There was no Spektrum brand when I bought Futaba, so it was not even an option.

I am very happy with my radios so I have no reason to change. The module design gives me great flexibility.

If I did get a new radio it would most likely be the Futaba 8FG Super. I need sailplane mixing and you don't find that in Spektrum till the DX10 and DX18.

Many radios have adjustable stick tension and adjustable length so you can tune to your own preference. All the majors have pretty good sticks.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

The 9x has mixing that covers saiplanes as well ....... to get advanced mixing that is truly unbelievable ... er9x firmware.

Don't get me wrong ... 9x programming is unique to itself ... and needs learning. Supposedly based on compromise JR / Futaba foundation ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #31
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

I was almost convinced to buy a new Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter to upgrade from my old Eclipse 7 with 2.4Ghz module. The A9 has a lot of nice features competing with the DX-8's but at a lower price. I recently crashed a favorite built-up scale model forgetting to change to the correct model memory after flying another model. Such a mistake is fairly common unless you have Spektrum's DX-8 "model match" feature. I also like A9's touch screen programming and firmware updating system via PC downloading. If I didn't already have three Hitec Optima receivers, the final choice would be easier. If I buy the A9 I can keep the Eclipse 7 as a back-up when the A9 is down for servicing, etc. All brands need factory servicing from time to time.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
WayfaringDreamer

Friends: (0)

I have been using the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro which I absolutely love! The gimbals and balance make it feel really good in my hands.

I think it's priced similiarly to the Spektrum DX 6i (I have one) but as others stated a lot of beginners like Horizon Hobby BNFs so Spektrum is a good buy.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I was almost convinced to buy a new Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter to upgrade from my old Eclipse 7 with 2.4Ghz module. The A9 has a lot of nice features competing with the DX-8's but at a lower price. I recently crashed a favorite built-up scale model forgetting to change to the correct model memory after flying another model. Such a mistake is fairly common unless you have Spektrum's DX-8 "model match" feature. I also like A9's touch screen programming and firmware updating system via PC downloading. If I didn't already have three Hitec Optima receivers, the final choice would be easier. If I buy the A9 I can keep the Eclipse 7 as a back-up when the A9 is down for servicing, etc. All brands need factory servicing from time to time.
The Spektrum lines of radios that have the ability to store multiple models in memory all have "Model Match". My DX7 and DX8 both have it.

Yup, I've seen more than one model crash caused by turning on the transmitter with the wrong model selected. With model match, and the wrong model selected in your transmitter, your model won't move. It's dead.

In fact several years ago, I turned on my transmitter to "Showtime 50", and turned on the Showtime 50 model receiver. Dead. Nothing. Rebooted, same thing.

That's when old dum-dum noticed that the transmitter was showing Show50 Model #9. Rather than Show50 model #2. I'd copied model
#2 to model #9 to play with the settings. As far as the transmitter was concerned, model #9 was a different model, and it was not going to fly it.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #34
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Is the Eclipse 7 Pro module based? If so, you can buy a Spektrum module for it.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #35
A.T.

Club: To many to include.
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Is the Eclipse 7 Pro module based? If so, you can buy a Spektrum module for it.
Fixed, whilst the Spectra unit is separate, it is inbuilt and not removable.
. Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro 2.4Ghz (Released Jan2012).
. Improved with 16 model memory, Backlit screen, New rear sliders in lieu of the top rotary knobs and more added features: -

. Hitec Eclipse 7 & 7 Pro FAQ - Quick Setup and Additional Programming

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners