Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)
Default Spoked wheels made from Maxx Prod wheels

I recently broke down and made a set of spoked wheels for a 1913 Avro Type-F build, which really set off the model, versus using Williams Brothers covered spoke wheels that I had initially planned to use. The greatest effort in making the wheels was fabricating the rims. While there are countless ways to make rims, the simplest method is to find a pre-made useable rim. Looking at a set of 3" Maxx spoked wheels, I realized that the rim and tire would look decent, after cutting out the molded plastic spokes and removing the tire, so I would have a bare rim to work with. I used a Dremel cutting disc to remove the spokes and hub, then cleaning up the hub with sandpaper at the spoke bases. The tires were glued on, so I had to carefully insert an exacto blade and cut through the glue, against the rim, before removing the tires.

The first set of wheels I made for the Avro are about 2", which are a bit tedious to spoke. The larger 3" wheels (actually 3-1/8") were considerably easier. This post by Leo Smith (Vintage 1) shows the winding process. I used .3mm nylon coated beading wire for spoking the wheels.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=18

The wire is first tied in a double knot, and slipped through the hole drilled in the rim at location 1Front, from the tire side of the rim. There are 16 holes drilled in the rim, although the principle can be used for higher spoke counts also. The windings wrap around the hub, against the hub flange, and back through the next sequentially numbered rim hole. This hub wrapping method is simpler than having to drill holes in the hub, although not quite as scale in appearance. When the number changes from Front to Rear, this is what determines if that winding will wrap around the front or rear of the hub. The rear hub flange is the one against the fixture that you are winding the wheel on. Pay attention to the diagram, to determine how the winding wraps around the hub. The challenge here is to make sure that the windings do not slip off the inner hub tubing, while wrapping them around it, which is most difficult when winding the rear wraps, where you cannot see them well. Leaving 1/16" inner hub tubing sticking out past the hub on either side of the wheel will provide ample length to keep the windings from jumping off, as they will pile up a bit. Another tip is to make sure the drill bit is drilled deep enough into the building fixture block, such that no flutes are showing. The flutes will tend to grab the wire when wrapping the rear wraps around the hub tubing, possibly pulling it off of the hub. In any case, keeping the hub pressed tight against the fixture when wrapping around the hub will help prevent that from happening.

After winding a few, you will develop techniques for holding the wire taut, while weaving it. The rim and hub have to be held tight against the fixture, so as to not have an out-of-true wheel.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avro_F_35.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	163789 1913 Avro Type F with 2" spoked wheels.

Name:	Avro_F_29.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	163790 Close up of the Avro wheels.

Name:	Spoked_Maxx_3in_1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	163791 Maxx Prod 3" spoked wheel rims are prepped by removing the center and sanding the spoke bases off of the rim. Hubs are made from overlapping alum tubing with nlyon flange bushings CA glued to the tubing.

Name:	Spoked_Maxx_3in_2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	163792 Final spoke termination shown here. The spoke is routed underneath the previous spoke loop on the rim, pulled back to where it entered the rim, and then glued down with thick CA and activator. Trim off excess once completed.

Name:	Spoked_Maxx_3in_3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	163793 The 3 pins that center the rim on the building fixture can be seen here. Applying thick CA to the spokes against the hub flange will help ensure that they do not jump off the tubing in the future.

Name:	Spoked_Maxx_3in_4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	163794 Finished wheels that will fit 2 different axle sizes. Note the tubing inserts for use with 1/16" axles. Without the inserts the wheels will fit 3/32" axles.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Wow!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

Wow is right! You've got more patience than I do, that's for sure

Those look great!

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

+1 - or 2, actualy. You think ou could make me a pair for my 1913 Eastbourne? Seriously, you're going to have a lot of request from the scale guys; those are realy nice.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Thanks for the comments. They're really not too difficult to make, but are just one of those things that we never get around to trying. I finally built the right plane that pushed me to try it. An Eastbourne is similar, as they just don't quite look right without real spoked wheels, which really set the model off. If I make more, I'll probably try to make some quantity, to make the process more efficient. I now have my mind fixed on keeping my eyes open in search of the perfect plastic rings that could be used for rims. Prepping the Maxx wheels wasn't too bad, but I'd love to have the rims in ready to use form.

I always get a kick out of the patience comments, as I have no patience either. If I can't get fast at something, I'll lose interest and won't want to do it either. I'd say these are a good bit easier than when I was remotoring GWS EDF30 fans for 12mm Feigaos, which I had those down to about an hour each. The last wheel was strung in about 15 minutes, so not too bad.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft