Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
emdeex

Friends: (0)
Smile Bixler - first flight - thanks !

I just flew my new Bixler in the park across the street, on a beautiful warm evening after work, with my two little kids.

I checked it all out, powered up, threw it up, and it took off!

I quickly realized something was wrong though, it was lifting OK, but not going the direction I wanted. ie. the ailerons were reversed! Uh-Oh, I thought I had checked that.

But thanks to plenty of simulator practice, managed to steer it back down for a soft-ish landing. Running over, we were amazed that no damage occurred at all.

Reversed the ailerons in the Turnigy 9X, and threw it up again. This time we were cruising ! Loved it! Flew around and around, full speed, half speed, gliding, it was sweet, and beautiful to fly. The kids ran around and around watching it soar, it was a great experience.

After a few landing and take-offs, I did finally come to a stop too late and ran the nose into a wire fence. The tail broke its glue bond and is loose, but no damage, I'll just glue it on again.

I just wanted to say thanks to all those on this forum who helped with the build and troubleshooting my various build issues.

Thanks again ! A great intro to my first flying RC plane experience.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Well, I don't think I was one of those who helped you, but welcome to the addiction!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
mcmoggy

Hey well done! I've found it floats on a 1500, struggles with a 2200(weight issues) but is totally sweet with a 1800mah.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

For a guy with no experience to be able to handle reversed ailerons---that says a lot about you. Congratulations!

Welcome to the hobby!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

How about an update. Have you flown again?

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
emdeex

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
How about an update. Have you flown again?
Sure thing, in fact I flew it tonight. Just me. A storm was slowly coming in from the West, but it was pretty still with a gentle southerly blowing in from the sea.

I have a great spot, a bluff near the road, the looks out over the lakes and the sea beyond. I'm up to maybe my 4th flight. So still early days, but I'm loving it. It's such a great feeling watching it soar.

I like to power it up high, and then cut the throttle and see how long I can thermal it around, catching the southerly breeze. A few birds take umbrage to it's path, and intercept it midflight. No harm done though.

I found a new way of landing it tonight, previously I'd tried to get it down on a flat bit of land near the lake edge, this time I soared it slowly in towards the bluff I was standing on, cut the power, and flared just before the grass and landed it on the slope beneath me. The hill actually makes a better softer landing pad than the flat land beneath.

I've bought a GoPro, so maybe tomorrow I'll try to make a mount for it to fit in the Bixler cockpit...

Thanks for allowing me to share!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
bixler first time flight