Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Baconzxc

Friends: (0)
Default New to 3D flying.

Hello Forum. I'm new here and i want to learn 3D flying i have few questions in mind.
1. Which plane best recommended for beginners like me who have very little knowledge and skill about flying.
2. What should i know about 3D flying? Like the basics? I notice there isn't a FAQ on this.
3. What are the basics skills i need to know to repair a faulty plane(if i'm unlucky enough to crash one)
4. Lastly, Do all remote works for every plane? Lets say i want to customize a plane myself. All i have to do is to tune my controller to the right channel? Enlighten me. Thanks in advance
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Welcome to Wattflyer Baconzxc!

I hate to tell you this, but you cant do 3D flying - yet.

3D flying requires advanced flying skills. Skills that will take you a lot of stick time to develop. Even if you happen to be one of those rare natural born fliers, with perfect hand-eye coordination and eagle eyes, its still going to take you months of flying to get to the point where you can start to learn 3D.

You need to learn the basics first. Unfortunately there is no other option.

Trying to jump right in with 3D flying would be like trying to ride a unicycle and juggle 4 monkeys while riding backwards - blind folded. Its just not the kind of thing you can start off with. You need to learn to ride a standard bike first and work your way up to 3D

As far as your questions about transmitters etc, you have tons and tons of reading to do. It would take me a week to type out even a basic start at explaining everything you need to know.

Id highly suggest suggest you go to the beginners section here on WattFlyer and start reading - and reading - and reading - and etc etc.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

The other thing you can do to speed things up is to find an RC club near you and start showing up out at the field and maybe go to some meetings. You can pick up a lot of stuff that way.

Plus - you will need someone to teach you to fly. It cant be done over the internet

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Now that Ive shot you down - dont get discouraged.

RC flying is a LOT of FUN. Its even fun just learning to take off without crashing. An the first time you take off, fly around the pattern and land - successfully - will be a day you never forget

if you want to fly 3D, you can fly 3D. Just not on day one

Good luck!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Consider a flight simulator as a great way to get practice in on any kind of flying. Some of them are cheap (or even free) and will get you started.

Some EPP planes can actually make decent trainers as they bounce rather than breaking and are lightweight enough to fly nice and slow. They can also be capable of 3D, eventually, with the right setup.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Just a +1 on what Larry said. Full on 3D planes really arenít suitable for a beginner. 3D planes arenít at all hard to fly once you know what you are doing, but they donít have the inbuilt stability and self-correcting flying characteristics that you would want when leaning. You would be a lot better off getting a purpose designed trainer with which to learn the basics of RC flying.

Generally speaking foam planes are good to learn with because they are more resistant to damage and are easier/quicker to repair than balsa ones, and you will crash, everyone does.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

On Chellie's recommedation, I bought this 4-pack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/P03-4set-RC-...item2ebe0cb025

Good News: $10.00 for depron parts cut out
Bad News: $26.00 to ship

But hey? $36.00 for 4 unpainted airframes? Add a 1300kv motor, 30 amp esc, some 9g servos and maybe some paint and it's an easy, low risk entry to the 3D world.

Will build the Tengo first, then maybe the Christian Eagle.

-Hawk
Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

Want cheap and quality 3D? Check out http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/ Pat is not going to do you wrong and if something does goes wrong, he stands behind what he sells.

And if you are looking for a forum dedicated to the sport of 3D, have a look here: http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php

Frank

Let's Help Newcomers! << Click Here
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Roger that Frank !

I'm a big fan of Pat. Consider him one of my RC mentors, especially, in the area of profile "prop in the slot" park jets and edf's. He's the best ! He walked me through a F4J (yes, Navy) Phantom II build where I ended-up winning "model of the month" at our club. Very helpful advice.

The 3D forum is also a good one. A plethera of info about all aspects of 3D RC. A bit daunting to the newbie 3D pilot.

For me, I'm going to build a couple of these ultra cheapo depron foamies to learn and practice on before taking the leap into something really good. I do have a 51" Yak-54 'Groupe Tranchant' ARF that I won in a raffle. Fiberglass fuse /Balsa wing construction that I will build. Have all the parts for it. Just don't have the time.

Salutations !

-Hawk
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets
Friends: (1)

on kinda of positive note, i just started flying almost 3 months ago and i recently bought my first 3d plane.
i started out with a HZ Super Cub, a couple of bind n fly micros(they are prolly harder to fly than full size planes, they are twitchy and faster but i think they have helped me alot), Then a PK t-28 trojan. just bought a twisted hobbies 3d epp edge 540.
everybody has said that ive advanced quicker than anybody they have seen, alot quicker. i dont have know about that, cause ive just started and have nothing to compare to. im definetly a noob at flying and 3d and have so so much more to learn., but i will tell you what has helped me, so far.

1. get a simulator
2. i have flown almost everyday since ive first picked up a Tx.
3. i have devoted every bit of spare time ivehad to flying and the hobby.
4. ive took baby steps- kinda fast ones tho. by progressing from the 3channel planes to the 4 channels.
5. we have no local clubs where i live, but buddy box'n with my friend for the first couple of flights on each plane helped me alot.

so it can be done rather quickly, but not over night. simulator will help alot. helps hand and eye and orientation when flying towards yourself.
i am really excited about flying 3d, its a whole new game when it comes to flying. so much to learn and try.

oh on the Tx's for 3d id recommend something better than my dx6i. im prolly gonna get Futabas new radio coming out next month. but i wouldnt recommend that as a first radio. thats alot of $$$$$ for a first radio, unless you are rich.
but if you can at least get a computer radio. something u can setup dual rates and expo. that comes in handy when you are learning to fly new and faster planes. helps tame them down some. the radio Tx is prolly gonna be your most important purchase. if you plan on staying with the hobby, just think of it as an investment.

good luck. go fly. have fun. dont pressure yourself to learn to quick

johnny o.

Originally Posted by Baconzxc View Post
Hello Forum. I'm new here and i want to learn 3D flying i have few questions in mind.
1. Which plane best recommended for beginners like me who have very little knowledge and skill about flying.
2. What should i know about 3D flying? Like the basics? I notice there isn't a FAQ on this.
3. What are the basics skills i need to know to repair a faulty plane(if i'm unlucky enough to crash one)
4. Lastly, Do all remote works for every plane? Lets say i want to customize a plane myself. All i have to do is to tune my controller to the right channel? Enlighten me. Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Wedoitall,

Was seriously considering upgrading from my 6EX to the 8FG Super which can be found for about $350.00 Then I see the new T14SG. Not yet sure what the main differences are between the two besides some telemetry thrown in. I love Futaba but they have a nice way of creating havoc with their user base.

-Hawk
Old 11-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #11
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Wedoitall,

Was seriously considering upgrading from my 6EX to the 8FG Super which can be found for about $350.00 Then I see the new T14SG. Not yet sure what the main differences are between the two besides some telemetry thrown in. I love Futaba but they have a nice way of creating havoc with their user base.

-Hawk
yea i think the price is gonna be round $600 only way i could prolly spring for it is when tax returns come in. or if tower puts it on 3 pay

on another note, ive been to Keller TX before, usta work for a company "foam fabricators". would go there on some projects
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
archd7

good info for newbies Thaks

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying