Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Buddy Box and misconception ...

The newer RC radio systems have something called a "Buddy Box" trainer mode, where the new RC'r along with an instructor on a remote transmitter fly the model. If the newbie looses tract of the model, the instructor can instantly take over the model and fly it. Makes a very big difference in the learning experience.
No disrespect to the person who posted this in another thread - I have greatest respect for them and I know they have a world of experience far greater than mine ...

But I would like to correct this ...

Buddy Box or Trainer connection has been around for maybe 40yrs .... my old Futaba M series on 27Mhz in the 70's had a Din socket to match a Din lead to another M series Tx ... with a little press to make button on Tx top .. press and hold - student has control, let go and Instructor regains control.
My JR Propo of the 80's had a mini jack plug lead for DSC or Trainer control ...

In fact as I recall most reputable radios had the facility ....

So peeps ......... Buddy Box is not a new thing at all ... but it sure is handy !!

Cheers
Nigel

ps : I know the person will ID the quote and I really do not mean any disrespect ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
ONETENOR

Friends: (0)

I had an O.S. Pixie with one So appreciate the thgought thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
No disrespect to the person who posted this in another thread - I have greatest respect for them and I know they have a world of experience far greater than mine ...

But I would like to correct this ...

Buddy Box or Trainer connection has been around for maybe 40yrs .... my old Futaba M series on 27Mhz in the 70's had a Din socket to match a Din lead to another M series Tx ... with a little press to make button on Tx top .. press and hold - student has control, let go and Instructor regains control.
My JR Propo of the 80's had a mini jack plug lead for DSC or Trainer control ...

In fact as I recall most reputable radios had the facility ....

So peeps ......... Buddy Box is not a new thing at all ... but it sure is handy !!

Cheers
Nigel
Yup, I've had a few of those older radios with trainer cords. Still have one of them. However, the guy asking the questions had been out of RC for a long while, therefore the "Newer radio" comment. I didn't want the guy to try flying with a 30 year old radio system.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup, I've had a few of those older radios with trainer cords. Still have one of them. However, the guy asking the questions had been out of RC for a long while, therefore the "Newer radio" comment. I didn't want the guy to try flying with a 30 year old radio system.
No sweat ...

My old JR is still going strong ... in fact in terms of stick feel I can find nothing comes close now ... I've handled new JR, Hitec, Futaba ... loads of stuff but my old JR just feels solid and right.

And as you know - I'm a 9x man now ... does what it says on the box !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Buddy Box or Trainer connection has been around for maybe 40yrs .... my old Futaba M series on 27Mhz in the 70's had a Din socket to match a Din lead to another M series Tx ...
I remember those The Futaba M was my fathers, I used his old Tx which was a Skyleada I think. There are pictures of the M series on this page: http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/propo.htm
You can clearly see the DIN buddy box connection on the bottom and the button on the top (but where are the rate switches and how do you reverse the servos I hear the younger generation of flyers ask)

I threw the old M series Tx out only a year or two ago.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

Even the old Fleet gear from years ago had a sort of buddy box system...but that was the weirdest I've met because what it did when you handed over was switch off the power to the master TX and switch on the power to the slave TX.

Good job it was well before these new-fangled computer TXs with their long long power up time .

Steve
Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I remember those The Futaba M was my fathers, I used his old Tx which was a Skyleada I think. There are pictures of the M series on this page: http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/propo.htm
You can clearly see the DIN buddy box connection on the bottom and the button on the top (but where are the rate switches and how do you reverse the servos I hear the younger generation of flyers ask)

I threw the old M series Tx out only a year or two ago.
I had 3 Futaba M's .... 2 of the 4ch 27Mhz and this one which is still with me .. a 6ch 35Mhz - one of the last they made before replacing with the later stuff like the Attack versions etc. :

D/R ... Expo ??? What was that ? Reversing ? In those days as you know - reversed servos were available across counter ...

But my JR had DR .. actually 3 positions on ailerons ... DR on rudder as well as Ail / Elev and ALL separate. It was the first of the modular series and will accept FrSky today ! ... ok there's a small mod to the pins in the holder needed as they are thinner than todays.

Yes . I still have it in box with all the bits and bobs .. but I now have a Corona Synth Rx bound to it ... the old original Modular Rx has failed.

Skyleader ! I knew the Skyleader Team flyers ... C. Foss, K. Binks, P. Ramsay etc. ... Phil in fact I still have contact with ...

The old names are coming back ... Digifleet, Courier.............. and in those days we didn't seem to have the 'bickering' about brands that seems to prevail now ... maybe we were spending more time building and flying than standing around ? OR on forums !!

Nigel

Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
nidly

Maybe adding the word "wireless" would make it more accurate? I love my Tactic system.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
ONETENOR

Thanks Nigel. yep dead right about the old names .what about
McGregor and I think Digifleet early Rip Max (own brand before Graupner Franchise and I think some other Jap models. Most of my current gear is 35 & 42.6 about 8 yrs or so old the futaba attack bec is one of them. Futaba challenger with aux channel 6. Another one is the old 22 M . Just for a cheap "chopper" Any how it is two A.M. here so I am pf tp bed but enjoyed the reminiscense. Night all
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by ONETENOR View Post
Thanks Nigel. yep dead right about the old names .what about
McGregor and I think Digifleet early Rip Max (own brand before Graupner Franchise and I think some other Jap models. Most of my current gear is 35 & 42.6 about 8 yrs or so old the futaba attack bec is one of them. Futaba challenger with aux channel 6. Another one is the old 22 M . Just for a cheap "chopper" Any how it is two A.M. here so I am pf tp bed but enjoyed the reminiscense. Night all
Today we have the arguments about 9x coming in cheap and combatting the established names ....

Funny I remember when Acoms hit the market in the early 80's ... same arguments about : Don't use it, it's too cheap, it will not work, no range etc. etc. No service back-up ....

Funny that I see Acoms name is an accepted one now ... similarly Thunder Tiger - engines in the 80's we could straighten crankshafts with pliers - they were so soft !!

What happened to Super Tigre ? When I used them - they were an Italian engine ... now I think they are Chinese ? Are they still as good as the 80's ? My ST61 ABC with pipe could do over 19k rpm on the ground !

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions