Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
ianfox

Friends: (3)
Default Can I use a LiPo battery in a LiIon setup?

Ok, this isn't really related to model planes, but as a regular flyer and forum user, I'd like to exploit your knowledge....

I do a lot of mountain biking and tonight, my 14.8v Li-ion, 2.6Ah battery for my lights died. A replacement battery is big bucks. I can get a the same spec Li-Po battery for a lot less, but i don't know what effect this will have. Any advice?

ta

Ian
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I seriously doubt it would make any differance. However, lipo's are much more sensetive to voltage drop, and would require some type of cut off to avoid damaging the battery if it gets too low.lithium ion can be ran completely dead with no real effect on battery life. I'd pop the liion battery pack open and test the cells and see if you can replace them easily.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by ianfox View Post
Ok, this isn't really related to model planes, but as a regular flyer and forum user, I'd like to exploit your knowledge....

I do a lot of mountain biking and tonight, my 14.8v Li-ion, 2.6Ah battery for my lights died. A replacement battery is big bucks. I can get a the same spec Li-Po battery for a lot less, but i don't know what effect this will have. Any advice?

ta

Ian
I'm assuming you'd be charging the LiPo batteries with a balancing charger? If so, the LiPo should work just fine. But if you run the battery down to far, its toast. Other options would be the LiFe batteries, or the A123 batteries. All of these batteries should be charged with a balancing type of charger.

Out of curiosity, what kind of lights do you have, incandescent, or LED types? A 4 cell LiPo might have a little to much voltage for an incandescent light and could really shorten its life. The LiPo battery voltage could be lowered by inserting one or more standard silicon diodes in series with the battery positive lead to drop the voltage down to reasonable values. Each silicon diode will drop about 3/4 volt. Those 1N4000 series diodes would work well, such as the 1N4001, 1N4004 and so on.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
ianfox

They're LED lights. I've just realised that I need a 4 cell li-po charger if I switch to li-po batteries, more cost to consider! I suppose it could be a charger fault? The charger is giving the correct 16v output and the charging indicator light goes green to suggest a full battery, but the li-ion battery only reaches 1 volt after a 12 hour charge. It's a simple charger, but does trickle.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by ianfox View Post
They're LED lights. I've just realised that I need a 4 cell li-po charger if I switch to li-po batteries, more cost to consider! I suppose it could be a charger fault? The charger is giving the correct 16v output and the charging indicator light goes green to suggest a full battery, but the li-ion battery only reaches 1 volt after a 12 hour charge. It's a simple charger, but does trickle.

Might be that your existing battery has balance electronics inside the battery pack, that would explain the higher cost of them. Those computer batteries often are made the same way with internal electronics.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
ianfox

Spoke to the company where I got the lights from and they think the PCB in the battery is faulty. Battery is 2 years old, but they offered to fix / replace for free!! Now that is awesome service!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers