Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Another really great thing about the Ares Gamma I just found out. On the side of the fuselage is a button. What could that button be for?

Ever see a post where some poor newbie connects his battery, his failsafe isn't set right, or he bumps the throttle by accident or fill in the blank, and he performs do it yourself surgery? Heck, even veterans do it once in awhile. Well that button on the side of the Gamma is a throttle activation button.

When you connect the battery on an Aries Gamma, the throttle is disabled. It won't work until you push that red button. That's a great idea! Every plane should have that and all they would have to do is a modification to speed controls. These guys at Ares are thinking! And that's dangerous for the Champ and Super Cub.

Reviewers have expressed reserve about the stock brushed motor.....until they fly the plane. 60 plus climbs, great huge loops, third throttle flying, it's all there with the stock brushed motor. Color the brushless upgrade just for flagrant abuse of power---just what I love! Too much is ALWAYS just right.

Love it when the new guy on the block struts some well executed new ideas. The Firebird Stratos did some of that, but I really like the ideas in the Ares Gamma 370 even better.

Whiip a little competition on the established learner planes, Ares, will you?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Another really great thing about the Ares Gamma I just found out. On the side of the fuselage is a button. What could that button be for?

Ever see a post where some poor newbie connects his battery, his failsafe isn't set right, or he bumps the throttle by accident or fill in the blank, and he performs do it yourself surgery? Heck, even veterans do it once in awhile. Well that button on the side of the Gamma is a throttle activation button.

When you connect the battery on an Aries Gamma, the throttle is disabled. It won't work until you push that red button. That's a great idea! Every plane should have that and all they would have to do is a modification to speed controls. These guys at Ares are thinking! And that's dangerous for the Champ and Super Cub.

Reviewers have expressed reserve about the stock brushed motor.....until they fly the plane. 60 plus climbs, great huge loops, third throttle flying, it's all there with the stock brushed motor. Color the brushless upgrade just for flagrant abuse of power---just what I love! Too much is ALWAYS just right.

Love it when the new guy on the block struts some well executed new ideas. The Firebird Stratos did some of that, but I really like the ideas in the Ares Gamma 370 even better.

I use a plug like this but i can make my own cheaper And it does not take to long. http://buyradiocontrolledplanes.com/...products-6970/
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I use a plug like this but i can make my own cheaper And it does not take to long. http://buyradiocontrolledplanes.com/...products-6970/
Perfect deal Road King! Leave it to a builder to have an answer ready. I'd be mangling that with a couple of EC3s on the ends. All the Deans lovers are now on my case. But here's a full amperage switch there that you DON'T have to worry about. And it could prevent do-it-yourself surgery.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Perfect deal Road King! Leave it to a builder to have an answer ready. I'd be mangling that with a couple of EC3s on the ends. All the Deans lovers are now on my case. But here's a full amperage switch there that you DON'T have to worry about. And it could prevent do-it-yourself surgery.
That switch is 11 bucks ,a deans plug i solder a copper plate on the back of is 4 .Saving for when i retire plus i like building things . I fly with just my lipos running my motors on most of my big stuff and a 2700 nimph pack for my servos and reciever . My motors have stopped a couple times flying but i keep control of my plane to get it safely back on the ground or water . I would buy one of these saftey plugs if i had no time, or soldered bad just like you said to save my fingers. BTW buy another plug and epoxy it to your flight box so you can plug the saftey plug in it so you dont loose it . I have seen the smaller trainer planes with a saftey button on them and they work real good keeping your fingers on. One of my electrict planes i was setting up took off across the room because i reversed the wrong servo .It hit another transmitter and sheared the right metal stick clear off .It was that scare that had me looking for a switch to arm or cut power to the motor . joe
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Amen to the safety switch idea. I will look into these. When I first got back in the hobby a couple of years ago, I was arming my Cessna 182 and upon connecting the battery, it lunged forward, right smack into my brand new PZ T-28, taking a nice bite out of the wing. Looked like the dog bit a big chunk of foam. Scared the bajeesus out of me. Had the throttle channel reversed and after a pause in the beeps, it lunged. At that time, I wasn't even aware of the proper beep sequence to know something was amiss.

Great idea Joe !

-Hawk
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

The RED button is a common item with BRUSHED motors and I have an ESC with one fitted ... trouble is I don't fly brushed anymore !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Amen to the safety switch idea. I will look into these. When I first got back in the hobby a couple of years ago, I was arming my Cessna 182 and upon connecting the battery, it lunged forward, right smack into my brand new PZ T-28, taking a nice bite out of the wing. Looked like the dog bit a big chunk of foam. Scared the bajeesus out of me. Had the throttle channel reversed and after a pause in the beeps, it lunged. At that time, I wasn't even aware of the proper beep sequence to know something was amiss.

Great idea Joe !

-Hawk
My 450 Heli decided to take of in the party room at home !! it hit the TV ... ceiling, bounced of - missed me by thou's ... ended up mangling the wifes xmas tree !

How ? I had throttle cut ON ... was trying to find out why one servo on cyclic was not acting right. So I thought - try another memory slot where I have my second 450 in ... NOT A GOOD IDEA !! Throttle cut disengaged ... she took of with reversed throttle ..............

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I have my safty plug just inside my hatch so i know my hands are out of the way ,but four of these 10x6 four bladed props and 2- 4000 lipo packs could hurt some one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-MVC-017S.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	164464  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #34
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post

Great idea Joe !

-Hawk
That is one big issue with these electric motors. They can start instantly when commanded. I've got five models with over 1KW motors up front, and it would not be good if any of these powered up by accident.

The Spektrum DX7 transmitters can be programmed to use the gear switch as a throttle kill switch. Kind of a work around, but it does the job. Found the workaround on the internet, let me know if you'd like how to do it.

My new Spektrum DX8 transmitter makes the throttle kill switch easy to do, its described in the DX8 manual.

That, plus battery disconnect plugs as a backup are just about mandatory on those larger models.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #35
bpj1980
Beginner

Friends: (0)

Hey, speaking from the same point, i too was looking at the Super Cub & Apprentice and didn't know which way to go, i spoke with many people and did a lot of research and decided on the Super Cub and i have been loving every minute of it, i have taught myself from the start and really love it, its the perfect starter plane and if your a little tech savvy you can do the Aileron mod when your used to the plane, i was also told that the Apprentice is a harder plane to land due to the style of landing gear, a guy in a hobby shop told me the first time he tried to fly his apprentice he nosed it into the ground before take off and snapped a prop, i am still on prop number 1.
Now in terms of Flight Sims - get one. This has helped me so much, i use Phoenix and the best part about that is they have both the Super Cub and Apprentice available to fly,
I am starting to get used to the plane and have been doing small Mods to it, next will be the Aileron upgrade, i mean for a small amount of money, looking at around $40-50 i can change it to an Aileron plane and already know the planes characteristics, so my opinion is the Super Cub, trust me you are going to love it, i look at my mate who bought a 5 channel to learn on... every flight ends with repairs needed, but mine touch wood hasn't had any of the crashes he has,
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #36
HisFlite1

Default Looking forward to flying

I was chatting with a friend at church last week and discovered that he has a number of nitro fuel aircraft. He hasn't flown too much lately, but he offered to teach me how to fly using a buddy box. I am looking forward to it in the spring.
I would love to start with a flight simulator, but it would probably come down to buying a simulator or buying an aircraft. Besides that, my older brother already has a Cub and I just have to "one up" him!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #37
bpj1980
Beginner

Buddy Box - Apprentice, i would have bought one if it had of been an option,
"One Up" - Apprentice, lol,
Good luck with the decision either way your going to love it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #38
HisFlite1

Default The process has begun

Earlier this winter when I first started this thread I was seriously contemplating getting in to Electric RC aircraft by springtime. Well the process made a big leap forward this weekend. I purchased the Phoenix RC 4 Flight Simulator and a Spektrum DX6i radio. No aircraft yet. I still haven't decided if I want to start with a powered sailplane or high-wing trainer. Software is installed on my computer and I have been playing with different models. I understand now the value of a flight simulator. Thanks for all your input...I am sure I will be spending more time here as I begin flying.
Keep your wings in the air and the wheels off the ground!
HisFlite1
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

Try this, buy an Ares Gamma 370 Pro and then buy the 3 channel wing for the original Ares Gamma 370 and install it on the pro. Then plug the rudder into the aileron port and fly it as a 3 channel until you are ready to install the aileron wing back on the Gamma 370 Pro. You will in essence have 2 planes that will fly completely different from each other. Just keep in mind too, that a simulator is NOT a replacement for the real thing. Many have mastered takeoffs and landings on a sim and then found that it is way different when you try to do it for real. Sims can impart a real false sense of security.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #40
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Iam teaching my son on a apprentice now and its a bigger plane that goes where you point it. Its also a floater as i have flown past the runway a couple times and i had to go around. I have a trainer cord hooked up to my radio and i would recmend to fly one this way if you were new. I get it high enough and cut the trottle down and trim it for slower flight but with full throttle it moves pretty fast. I would consider it a great second plane if you are learning on your own but not a first plane. I would find a three channel if learning on your own and make sure the rudder is on the right stick so when you do get to ailirons you wont have to start all over again. I have seen a new flyer learning on the gamma he recomends above and he did well except for not getting 3 mistakes high while trying to learn. From what i have seen it looks like a great plane to begin with and they sell parts for them. Good luck . joe
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #41
HisFlite1

I will check into the Ares Gamma 370 Pro. It sounds like a good possibility. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Fortunately, I do have a friend that has nitros and he has already told me he will teach me to fly using a buddy box. As far as simulator vs. real flying, I have a brother that is a captain with a major airline and has flown aircraft as large as the 777. He has been flying for over 40 years and got a RC Super Cub 2 or 3 years ago and has proceeded to crash it numerous times. Real flying vs. RC's don't translate very well, either.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by HisFlite1 View Post
I will check into the Ares Gamma 370 Pro. It sounds like a good possibility. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Fortunately, I do have a friend that has nitros and he has already told me he will teach me to fly using a buddy box. As far as simulator vs. real flying, I have a brother that is a captain with a major airline and has flown aircraft as large as the 777. He has been flying for over 40 years and got a RC Super Cub 2 or 3 years ago and has proceeded to crash it numerous times. Real flying vs. RC's don't translate very well, either.
I still have my kadet sr and a nitro 40 os to go in it. I picked it up for my son also with a couple extra wings . It is the best nitro trainers there are. I think sig has some e- versions of it now but i will fix mine up with nitro. The boy is happy with his apprentice so it's kadet bashing time for me with flaps and i will make it a tail dragger and probly bomb drop and floats for some lake flying. joe
Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #43
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

What the heck is up with those posts? Yes, I fly with guys who are full scale pilots and they ALL say that flying RC was hard for them at first because there is no "feel" for the airplane. The biggest thing to over come for them they say is the orientation when the plane is flying toward you. One of them commented that flying RC planes is one of the hardest things he's ever done.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #44
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Those posts, non-english, have been deleted.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #45
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Is our freeto bandito back from last week . AEAJR
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #46
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I am no language expert but it looked more like the Borsht Bandito.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #47
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I am no language expert but it looked more like the Borsht Bandito.
LOL i think your right ! lmao
Old 10-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #48
Freeair

Welcome I just joined also.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #49
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Freeair View Post
Welcome I just joined also.
Welcome! Freeair . joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
apprentice , newbie , sailplane , super cub , trainers