Close up of the main landing gear from the underside:
... and a plywood reinforcement for the tail skid:
I'm planning on having the wire tail skid extend up into the edge of the rudder, then down through that piece of plywood (as someone here suggested). The free-pivoting one on plane #4 is not ideal for ground handling - hopefully this will work better.
Fuselage covered with tape, being inspected by my assistant Wayne:
Next up the wing struts and servo installation, then I can glue on the lower wing.
Whilst setting up to do this I discovered that the tail end of the fuse points off to one side half an inch or so (measure twice and cut once and all that...). I decided that the tail planes will just have to be off to one side a bit, but still parallel to the center line. Let's not tell anyone, OK?
I then set up in a similar way to stick on the upper wing:
Not shown, I added some gussets from the struts to the underside of the wing, but essentially it's just a hot glue butt joint from the wood struts to the packing tape surface. Think that will do it? Or should I add some pins down through the top of the wing? I've still got the inter-plane struts to add, you know...
I like the way it's looking! Especially those big fat tires I picked up at a swap meet somewhere
It was really too windy for the maiden flight of a 1 lb foamie, but I did it anyway. I held up my pocket anemometer for a while and was getting about 8 - 12 mph and a gust of 20 mph . But the direction was good...
It flew great, considering the wind. Can't wait to try it on a calm day .
The ground handling thing is fantastic! I'm able to land it way down the field and taxi back - this is a new thing for me!
I'm revisiting this basic design . The original is still flying, and people seem to like seeing it, but frankly it's kind of a dog in the air. With those narrow ailerons only on the bottom wing, it has little aileron authority. And the rather blunt leading edges of the KF wings + all those interplane struts make a lot of drag, which make it slow.
So, using my new hot wire cutting ability I'm making a new biplane! So far I've got the wings done and the sides of the fuselage cut out. Gluing wood longerons to the sides in the picture:
Instead of struts in the middle I'm going to do a solid block of foam shaped like cockpit windows, streamlined, and then just two outboard struts instead of those Z shape things. I expect that will cut the drag quite a bit. It's going to be a "stagger wing", with the upper one set an inch back from the lower.
Your 'cabin biplane' layout should work fine. We had a similar kit with regular top wing in front stagger around in England for years that was well regarded and I once did a similar layout to yours, with back-stagger, that flew fine.
I don't think you've got such a massive power to weight ratio that she'll need interplane struts
Hate to be a boring old fuddy-duddy, but it looks much nicer with a 'proper' wing section Doesn't need a 'pilot' either...
You can limit power and control throws to make it very hard(er) to stall the main wing before the elevator lacks authority to hold the nose up.
The Ercoupe (full scale) used this method to make the aircraft "safe" for people learning to fly. (it almost made it safe for a beginner...)
After looking up the KF airfoils... selection of which of the many "stepped" airfoils would make a huge difference in what speed range the wing would be good for.
I played with something that was almost a variation on the theme... They can work. they all will have limited speed ranges for efficiency partly based on step sizes.
In a way it could be said that you can't stall the KF airfoils with the steps on top... because its already stalled. That's a pretty inefficient way to try to glide. The 1, (paper airplane typical) 2 or 5A might work out ok for some sailplanes... I'd want power for all the rest.