Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)
Default Does this EXPO setting look right?

I'm having trouble adapting to how sensitive my E-Flite UMX Sbach 342 is to stick commands especially on ailerons. Being so small I find myself overreacting on banking. I want to mellow out the stick control so that it is less touchy at the start of the stick movement but still has full throw. Does this EXPO setting look right for what I'm try to accomplish? Would I be better of just reducing the throw?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by DCDetector View Post
I'm having trouble adapting to how sensitive my E-Flite UMX Sbach 342 is to stick commands especially on ailerons. Being so small I find myself overreacting on banking. I want to mellow out the stick control so that it is less touchy at the start of the stick movement but still has full throw. Does this EXPO setting look right for what I'm try to accomplish? Would I be better of just reducing the throw?

Thanks
There is positive and negative expo. One makes the control VERY sensitive around neutral, something you don't want. The other makes the control less sensitive around neutral. Visually double check your aileron throw my moving the transmitter stick to make certain of which type you have. It should be obvious.

I've been using about 35% expo on all of my models, a value that has worked out well for me. Each person is different, so try different values.

As for dual rates, they do work and work well, but as for me, I've just selected expo functions, and don't use dual rates (or triple rates in my Spektrum DX8 transmitter.)

Today, I put my 4 year old electric Showtime 50 in the air, and found it very sensitive in aileron and elevator functions. It was the first flight with the Spektrum DX8 transmitter. Quickly landed it, and noted that expo had not been set up. Put in that 35% on both aileron and elevators, and made it much nicer to fly.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

On JR/Spektrum POSITIVE expo values make the control less sensitive round the control's centre.

On Futaba you need NEGATIVE expo values for the same thing.

If that's a Spektrum DX7S I'd guess you've made it much MORE sensitive not LESS. Probably not what you intended .

Steve
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

NO!!!! That is not right. You want positive values on Spektrum systems. So you are just backwards - yours will be MORE sensitive around neutral, not less.

Mike
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
NO!!!! That is not right. You want positive values on Spektrum systems. So you are just backwards - yours will be MORE sensitive around neutral, not less.

Mike
Yup

That's why I indicated move your transmitter stick and watch the ailerons/rudder/elevator.

For some reason, the various RC radio suppliers define positive and negative expo differently.

As for my DX8, it does take a positive number for the proper expo commands. Tried it with negative expo, boy does that respond weirdly.

DennyV
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup

That's why I indicated move your transmitter stick and watch the ailerons/rudder/elevator.

For some reason, the various RC radio suppliers define positive and negative expo differently.

As for my DX8, it does take a positive number for the proper expo commands. Tried it with negative expo, boy does that respond weirdly.
Sometimes watching the surface or servo isn't as easy as looking at the graph. I really like the graph at it clearly shows more control around center.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Sometimes watching the surface or servo isn't as easy as looking at the graph. I really like the graph at it clearly shows more control around center.
Graph is good, but what do you do when some transmitter brands show the expo curves reversed from other brands? One way to really make certain you've got the expo correct is to program 95% expo. That really shows how it works. (And NO, don't try to fly a model with that much expo.)

DennyV
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
DCDetector

Thanks! That is why I asked.

Does this look better?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

That's what you want!

The curve helps to imagine what is going on. You see how not much happens at first then it jumps up later.

50% is a LOT of expo - I do go that high on very responsive fast airplanes but normal ranges are around 20-35%.

Mike
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

I fly all my planes with-out expo or mixing, They say you need it on my Extra and 4-SITE 3/D planes right on the Box, but never using all the new bells and whistles , I've flown Friends planes with Expo but it doesn't "feel right",,fly'in my thumbs for 40+ years and can't get used to "moves a little-then a lot", expo throws me off, I fly 3/D smack-downs at fly-ins and always hold my own with the "Big-Shots" out there,, I think Expos great for most, but not for all,, just two cents worth, Bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0577.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	164605

Name:	SAM_0421.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	164606

Name:	SAM_0774.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	164607

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Hats off if you fly 3D with no Expo WOW!

But I have several planes with none - I get it. I have one I don't think I could manage with out Expo.

Mike
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
DCDetector

My problem is I'm used to flying my big planes where reaction between stick movement and plane are not so... instant. Plus my bigger planes are more along the scale/trainer line so the very design makes them more docile. I've noticed even on my UM cub and UM Ares trainer 100 they are much harder to fly than my biggies because of being very responsive/reactive. The UMX Sbach is more a goes-where-you-point type plane. I like flying low and close which takes a lot faster response with less room for error. If I get too far away my orientation get bad.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by DCDetector View Post
My problem is I'm used to flying my big planes where reaction between stick movement and plane are not so... instant. Plus my bigger planes are more along the scale/trainer line so the very design makes them more docile. I've noticed even on my UM cub and UM Ares trainer 100 they are much harder to fly than my biggies because of being very responsive/reactive. The UMX Sbach is more a goes-where-you-point type plane. I like flying low and close which takes a lot faster response with less room for error. If I get too far away my orientation get bad.
I've flown the The UMX Sbach with-out Expo, ( I'd forgot) she's a hand-full with roll-rates like a drill-bit , I flew her on full rates to start with then switched to low, fun plane, bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0674.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	164611 Here's a little-one I flew at SEFF last-year HaHaa!

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
I've flown the The UMX Sbach with-out Expo, ( I'd forgot) she's a hand-full with roll-rates like a drill-bit , I flew her on full rates to start with then switched to low, fun plane, bubsteve
Yeah, I had one of those, gave it to my son. You are right, the roll rates are so fast it's difficult to stop the model right side up. Setting up expo on that Sbach made a real difference.

That was a fun fun model though, my son busted it up after a few dozen flights.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros