Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
philbel

Friends: (0)
Default Help! Need 96mm EDF setup for Eagle Hero

Hi all,
I am searching for a 96mm EDF setup for Nitroplanes Eagle Hero. I found the Himax 96mm edf unit (assembled) for $150 each but it seems a bit weak for this airplane that will weigh around 17 lb.
Himax 96mm EDF with 1850kv brushless motor 2600g thrust - V2 UPD

$159.99

NEW 96mm EDF with stronger motors (Ver. 2).

RTR high power ducted fan with factory installed motor.
All feature high quality Himax brushless motor.
Dynamically balanced.
Part No.
Rotor dia
OD mm
OL mm
Weight g
Motor
Thrust g
Battery
Current
EPF96BL
96mm
HA3636-1850
6-cell lipo
62A

Can anyone suggest a good combo fan + motor for 6S lipo that would not cost a fortune?
Thanks,
Philippe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	415855 hero-eagle3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	164608  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Can't help with the gear where to get but would say this :

a) I have never got near to any quoted thrust levels on any EDF units as spec'd. Usually I find I get about 70% of what they claim ... especially once fitted to an airframe and then can even be less.

There are two ways to get the thrust you need :

1) Up the KV of the motor you use ... to get higher fan speed but then power demand rockets.
2) Up the the voltage supplied to the unit - again we get an increase in power demand.

Other ways are of course modified rotors ... altered thrust tubes ... etc. but main are the two above.

My way of thinking is to buy a reasonable middle road unit .. then fit a higher KV motor and also up the voltage pack. Or as you are already at 6S ... find a 5S motor that can take 6S ....

Just my thoughts.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
Buckarooo
Old Man Aero

Club: R/C Aircrafters of Western New York

Philbel I have this kit but wont start the build for a while. I have researched lots of 90mm set-ups for it. It came with 100mm fans. You get a lot more thrust out of 100mm than 90mm but you can still get what you need from 90mm. Target around 7lbs per fan for high performance. You will not have ducting loss and the fan will of course have an intake lip so the power will not be hard to find. High blade count fans will eat a little more power for the same thrust than low blade counts but they will sound better. So if jet sound is important than maybe a JetFan 90 or the Lander 12 blade. If sound is not important to you than the Wemotec 90mm is pretty tough to beat. I prefer volts over amps for the same given power level so I am planing 8 or 10s. Either way even with 6s you should be around 2200 watts per unit and in most fans that will get you to 7lbs thrust.

Dean
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)
Default Well guys.

You really are supposed to be the Chief airplane designer. The larger the plane. The farther away from modeling you are moving. And the more research you need to do.

I have LOOOONG ago done thrust, rpm, battery tests, on a calculator before buying.

I credit this forum & some of the help people like Bruce Abbot, Dr KIWI, & a couple of others. Bill G in Pa.. Sorry Bill. Starting to forget.

PMs to these people before buying is the best way to learn some of the short comings.

The Phase 3 U2 sailplanes I am modifying are new types to me. I ask ....goofy....questions & they steer me in the right direction.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

You are down sizing the power of the EDFs & increasing the RTF weight ?

Your going to have a plane with a wing loading of 3.4 pounds per square foot.

If you get the 12 pounds of thrust. I have no idea how fast your take off & landing speeds will be. You could be using Goodyear aircraft tires.

Good luck Chief designer.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

mine was lost to HIMAX fans/motors.. they said they had a bad batch. replaced the fans/motor but the rest was loss. the 2 flights were nice though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFaK0Btv3I0

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Originally Posted by philbel View Post
Hi all,
I am searching for a 96mm EDF setup for Nitroplanes Eagle Hero. I found the Himax 96mm edf unit (assembled) for $150 each but it seems a bit weak for this airplane that will weigh around 17 lb. Can anyone suggest a good combo fan + motor for 6S lipo that would not cost a fortune?
Thanks,
Philippe
I think its pretty easy to get more than enough power for this model, even on 6-8s. As its a twin, you will likely get the beat effect sound anyway so you may not be too worried about trying to work with the cheaper chinese multi blade rotors.

My suggestion would be either wemo Midifan with HET 650-68-1600Kv or Jetfan 90 running HET 700-68-1500Kv, both on 8 cells.

The Wemo combo pushes 4.2kg thrust on the test stand with inlet lip at 2730 watts on 8 cells. The Jetfan pushes around 3.7kg at 2470 watts on 8 cells.

You an get the Jetfan up into the 4.2-4.3kg thrust mark by going to the 700-68-1680Kv motor but power is climbing up around 3100w on 8 cells.

I am running a 6s Jetfan in my latest Mirage in one of my Alloy housings, its pushing around 3.5kg thrust at 2350 watts or so, even this would be more than enough at 15+lb for 2 fans.

As for losing bench test power when installing into a model, you are building something with pods, no intake ducts just nice curved lips, and short exhausts, you should not lose very much if anything.

Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
www.extremerc.com.au

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets