Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
dheaton

Friends: (0)
Default Work Bench

I have a question for all of you. What kind of work bench are you using to work/build your planes? I need one that I can use in my home and not get my wife mad at me for the mess. Suggestions?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

What kind of building?

Do you need a very flat surface?

A hollow-core door on 2 sawhorses is a good, portable, versitile choice.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dheaton View Post
I have a question for all of you. What kind of work bench are you using to work/build your planes? I need one that I can use in my home and not get my wife mad at me for the mess. Suggestions?
My basement workshop has a work bench 16 feet wide. It was made with 2X4 framing with 2X4 cross members every few feet. Had to be strong to support my 400 pound Craftsman lathe and home made milling machine.

It's decked out with 3/4 inch plywood. For soldering and so on, I picked up some cheap (real cheap) pieces of ceramic floor tile one foot square. Nothing sticks to that stuff. If one breaks, I've got spares.

As for building ARF's, that goes on to one of those plastic fold up tables available from Home Depot and similar places.

Mess I've got to clean up my stuff when a dropped screwdriver never hits the top of the workbench!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

I have a small (10X14) building in the back yard that is my shop. Insulated, heated and so on but I found a 10' kitchen counter top that someone had set out for local heavy trash pickup. It's sitting on small cabinets. I also have a 12X36" good quality (no knots) pine board for building small wings and such. I don't really care to fly big stuff so the small building board is enough. I may get a 48" board at some point. When cleaned off the counter top looks pretty nice. 'course it doesn't look nice very often.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Thumbs up Several benches.

Primary hobby is a Luan door on a used triple dresser.
2 other benches are also triple dressers...............Lots of handy storage that way for bulky tools.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Whiskers

One of two places for me. Either on the workbench me and my mom share in the house (she makes jewelry and such) or the work bench in the garage.

The one we share is this: http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html

The other work bench is just a homemade bench made out of 2x4's and is older than I am. If I'm working on anything with small pieces I throw a tarp or paper towels over it to cover any cracks and such so nothing gets lost.

Soaring ever higher, the wind makes me free.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Alot of different work benches here to choose from ,i have about 20ft of bench in my basement i built out of scrap micro lambs and plywood off of my job sites and i also have 3 heavy 8ft formica fold up tables in a extra room up stairs . The bigest thing about not making the wifey mad is to vacume up the mess and don't track it through the house . For this she bought a smaller hand held vacume but later i bought a cheap 20 buck vacume from home depo that uses a 5 gal painters bucket for the bottom. I also have a couple small garabge cans in both locations for scraps of foam or balsa cause i build planes with both. If you can keep HER house clean they wost time dont care what you do . BTW store your planes where she can't see them and not in her living room or kitchen.lmao If she finds out you have 4 or 5 planes she might say somthing about it ,if you tell her 40 or 50 like me just tell her they are like her shoe collection and move away fast. Most of this i have gone through for over 30 years of building planes ,and i have been lucky so far but from experiance you realy never know whats going to set them off . joe
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Whiskers

Best advice yet! Hahaha

Soaring ever higher, the wind makes me free.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,132 Times in 2,041 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

I turned my Den into a hobby Room I made a square frame of 2x4s and screw it into the wall at the corner, , then I made 1 leg and screwed that into the frame, and a big hollow door on top of the 2x4s, works great, and if you need to remove it, just unscrew 5 drywall screws from the frame thats attached to the wall make sure the frame screws go into the wall studs

CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,634 Posts

Awards Showcase

Friends: (276)

Hi Renegades here is what I did today, I needed a work bench, Sooooooo I made one from a 80"X 36" door and 2x4s now i can finish up on some of my projects

a

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
dheaton

I wasn't notified about any responses. Thanks for the replies. I do some stick building but have not done anything in quite a while. Just getting back into the hobby. I looks like a door would be a good option. It would be nice and flat and straight.

I would love to hear and see what you all have done for storing your planes. I need to build some kind of rack or something. Love to see some ideas.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I buy these to put on top of my tables ,they lay flat and i use two end to end with thin tape under the middles to hold them together . When you stick pins in them they hold well and pull out easy ,so they are just right for me. I build alot so they only last me a year but for most builders it should last a long time .Once one side it tore up i just flip them over for another year. http://www.menards.com/main/home-dec...612-c-7158.htm
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

that stuff from menards sure looks a lot like what i have on my table. it's a self sealing cork substance that can withstand razors,pins and remove spilled glue with a spackel knife. it's called forbo board and i got it off walls in the city when i was a carpenter. forbo is the manufactures name.

use a folding table with hollow core door and the forbo board is masonite with the corking material adheared to it.

cover the plans with craft plastic wrap gotten in craft stores or package wrapping .it's used on gift baskets and comes in 30"w x several yards long. when done building ,you could flatten it all down and lean it against a wall.

most important is your suface is flat. wings don't like curved tables...trust me ,i know.........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 068.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	164785

Name:	funjet ultra 126.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	164786

Name:	hog build pictures 005.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	164787

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
that stuff from menards sure looks a lot like what i have on my table. it's a self sealing cork substance that can withstand razors,pins and remove spilled glue with a spackel knife. it's called forbo board and i got it off walls in the city when i was a carpenter. forbo is the manufactures name.

use a folding table with hollow core door and the forbo board is masonite with the corking material adheared to it.

cover the plans with craft plastic wrap gotten in craft stores or package wrapping .it's used on gift baskets and comes in 30"w x several yards long. when done building ,you could flatten it all down and lean it against a wall.

most important is your suface is flat. wings don't like curved tables...trust me ,i know.........
Its more like fine chip board in the middle but it stays pretty flat . I could not see at your table mine looks like a airplane comming in with landing lights on. I cant see very well and have 4 of those lights you have plus the room lights .just so i can figure out all the lines while scratch building. If my eyes get any worce my planes wont last long. lol joe
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Its more like fine chip board in the middle but it stays pretty flat . I could not see at your table mine looks like a airplane comming in with landing lights on. I cant see very well and have 4 of those lights you have plus the room lights .just so i can figure out all the lines while scratch building. If my eyes get any worce my planes wont last long. lol joe
If you've got serious vision problems, check this definition out on vision MD's. IMHO, good vision care requires good doctors, with an MD. (Been there, done that.)

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=22559

DennyV
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I have square edge kitchen worktop fitted to my model den.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
If you've got serious vision problems, check this definition out on vision MD's. IMHO, good vision care requires good doctors, with an MD. (Been there, done that.)

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=22559
Yea I have had MS for over 20 years ,but iam still walking and doing well so if my eyes go a little bad iam still way ahead of the game.
joe
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

You see how neat and clean Stuart keeps his work bench ,here is one of mine when iam building.I have tried to keep a neat work bench but it always ends up like this so i gave up. I clean it when i realy cant stand it anymore or the first time i put a dent in the plane iam building with somthing laying on my bench. I most times just say its the maids day off. lol joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	taped together for a picture.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	164805
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
Mojo
Is it still raining?

I took an old 3' x 5' table that I wasn't using and covered it with some thick ~3/4" OSB ply. I then purchased a sheet of 3'x4' 1/8" plate steel. That covers most of the table and the 1' that is uncovered is where I put my tools. This makes for a great magnetic building board.

If you go the magnetic route, be prepared for the price of the steel. I think I paid around $70 for that sheet of steel.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

I have to second the Harbor Freight bench. Wait till it goes on sale or use one of their 20% coupons. I bought 3 of them. One for garage and 2 for hobby room. Biggest trouble is mine are worse than Stuarts table, I can never see the tops. Use a dropped ceiling tile for sticking pins in 2x4 only a couple of bux. Really need to spend about 3-4 days in the basement straightening up. Lucky to have an understanding wife of 30 years, but I guess that is why it made 30 years. First one only lasted 10.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
I have to second the Harbor Freight bench. Wait till it goes on sale or use one of their 20% coupons. I bought 3 of them. One for garage and 2 for hobby room. Biggest trouble is mine are worse than Stuarts table, I can never see the tops. Use a dropped ceiling tile for sticking pins in 2x4 only a couple of bux. Really need to spend about 3-4 days in the basement straightening up. Lucky to have an understanding wife of 30 years, but I guess that is why it made 30 years. First one only lasted 10.
I have heard other guys who had good luck with one of those benches and they dont cost much. I wish they had the magnet system a long time ago because i would have bought one ,and i could get metal cheap from my steel suplyer now (free) but iam a old school pins and weights builder after 30 years and to stubbern to change .I remove the menards pushpin board when iam building with foam and put it back with balsa .I just started to learn about building with foam a year ago and thats about all the change us old coots can handle. joe
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #21
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

oh man,you guys have me figured as some kind of neat freak..,so here a typical table in the shop while projects are under way. the only time my tables are that clean is when i start a build. everything clean,labeled,layed out....then the fun begins!

heres the tables during the hob bonanza v tail. built with lights and retracts.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bonanza 143.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	164836

Name:	bonanza 144.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	164837

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #22
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

oh man,you guys have me figured as some kind of neat freak..,so here a typical table in the shop while projects are under way. the only time my tables are that clean is when i start a build. everything clean,labeled,layed out....then the fun begins!

I dont know about the rest of you but i feel a little less guilty now. joe
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #23
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,132 Times in 2,041 Posts
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Ok Stu, Buy a Good Bottle of Wine, open it, pour yourself a large Glass of wine, Drink it, and Clean up Your MESS LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

LOL
That's the way a work table is supposed to look!!

(Some years ago our agent and I traveled to a customer in N. Dakota. The Dep't manager's desk had one sheet of paper, and one pencil on it. That was it. His desk was absolutely clean.

Agent whispered to me, "we're in for a rough time". He was right.)

Attached is part of my workbench. Out of sight on the left side is a 12 inch Craftsman metal lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, and storage shelves. The cabinets over the workbench came from our old kitchen. The kitchen cabinet doors and frame were removed as a piece part. Then one by twelve lumber stock was purchased, and the cabinet frames were nailed to the lumber stock. Works very well, and didn't cost to much.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Workbench - WF.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	164838

DennyV
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

my shops so dirty,this is my basement pet helper...he still freaks my wife out when she sees it...lol[jk]

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bonanza 105.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	164839

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions