Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default Scratch built Arado 234 pusher

Hi everyone, been a scratchbuilder for about 40 + years but normally balsa and silkspan/tissue,free flight and control line. Pretty new to r/c and modern materials, but I'm getting the hang of foam and coreflute. My rudimentary hot-wire cutter made from an adjustable soldering iron, and the use of razor saws has enabled me to build a couple of trainer sailplanes and an inverted v-tail twin boom pusher, which all survived horrific crashes in the gale force winds which abound where I live. My interest is in luftwaffe jets, which started with the brilliant S and B "Komet", and was followed by my semi -scratch He 162 salamander edf prototype, which I am still developing. So now I feel confident in building something I have always wanted- An Arado 234 blitz. This will be in pusher configuration instead of edf, as I am buying an Me 262 kit with the same setup, and want to try to keep it semi-scale with that. I bought a block of epp foam and a sheet of 3mm coreflute and found some plans (well, drawings actually) and set to work. I'll take some photo's and put them up next post. Cheers....
Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

How about those photos pattern14? I wanna see .

Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default I will post some photo's........

I know, I know...every thing is on hold while I do some house renovations. The weather here in Tasmania is very unpredictable, and I'm trying to get things done before winter, plus family,work, and the inability to stop it raining every time I try and do something. Plus I can't find the digital camera, which is lost somewhere amongst the mayhem (it was here two days ago!). Excuses, excuses,excuses. BUT, I have manged to put the wing together, and the fuselage has now got a basic shape. At least I'll have something to photograph when I uncover the camera. I have a week of night shift starting today, running over the easter weekend, so I'll do my best to organise somethingcheers....
Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default slowly taking shape........

Hi everyone, FINALLY got around to finishing the shape of the fuselage and put the wing together. I was waiting for a book to arrive from the U.K but they kept stalling for about 7 weeks, and then told me it was no longer available. Oh well, at least I have the drawings. The wing was supplied by Canterbury Sailplanes, an epp glider manufacturer based in New Zealand. Took a bit of searching to find what I wanted, but it was worth the effort. It is actually easier to find something outside Tasmania than in it.... . Put the power train together; 2 ewatts 1500 kv outrunners, 2 ewatts sword 18 amp esc's and 2 nimh 1000 mah batteries (11v). It sounds a bit underpowered, but it's what i have sitting around doing nothing right now, so it may as well get put to use. I have used the single set up for another couple of projects, so it will suffice for now. will post again this afternoon (it is actually sunny today) with a couple of pics and a brief build story....cheers...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default the Arado project......

Hi everyone, well it started raining again, so the pictures can wait a few more days (flash doesn't work well indoors...) BUT I started putting the engine nacelles together.. 5 pieces of scrap epp apiece, copied from the me 262 book I have. A bit more shaping and I'll test mount them. The tail plane is next, and the fin and rudder are almost finished. I'll have to mount seperate servo's with a y connector for the elevators to try to retain the semi-scale look. A length of cf spar for the fuse, some ailerons cut out and it will finally start to look like something. Thought I would try the mzk sexta rx in this bird, which is the next generation "berg" type; can't find out too much about them , so I guess I may as well give it a go. The electric fences always seem to make my other tx's twitch a little from time to time. Anyway, I'll post some pics asap..... cheers
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Looking forward to the pics. It sounds like an interesting build as were your other projects. Guess what, your weather problems sound just like ours here in south west England.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default arado project...

Hi Baz, yes, the weather would be very similar Tasmania is right in the roaring forties; great for sailing ships a couple of centuries ago, but plays havoc for r/c flying. Still, it is very green and peacefull, and seems virtually bypassed by the rest of the world. Even mainland Australia and New Zealand seem very distant. We are all learning to fly in the wind, as there would be very little flight time otherwise. My choice of crash proof epp planes is heavily influenced by location. The only other luft warbirds are the flying eggshell ones from parkzone, GWS, alpha and such. I am not ragging them; they would be just too impractical for our style of flying After seeing someone trying to control a PZ mustang in 20 knot winds and then literally destroying it in an attemted landing looked too disheartening. A real shame as it was a very nice looking scale aircraft, and the owner was quite downcast at it's fragility. I guess I am going to miss out on a lot of fairweather planes- the alpha fw Huckbien esf would be great.....I'll post those pics this afternnon ...cheers
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes I can relate to your experiences. I used to fly 20/25 cu/in powered fun fighters all balsa with solid balsa wings. Now they were great in wind, the stronger the better. You needed a good breeze to launch into and to slow it up when belly landing. Then I converted to the black art as they call it over here. I have built all the GWS 35 inch warbirds and they do fly well but they will not handle strong wind as you say. I have increased their crash resistance drammatically be replacing all the light plastc parts with ones molded from pop bottle material and that is crash proof. I would be really interested in your wind proof builds though as they would suit our environment down to the ground no joke intended! You know since I went electric last year our weather pattern has changed and it's windy most of the time.
Best wishes, Barry
Old 06-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some photo's...

a couple of pic's...Click image for larger version

Name:	Planes 001.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	103735

Click image for larger version

Name:	Planes 004.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	103736

Name:	Planes 007.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	103737

Name:	Planes 008.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	103738; It took so long to do this. The weather has been atrocious and the internet keeps dropping out all the time. Anyway, my fledgling luft 46 suadron is slowly taling shape. The incomplete arado 234 is minus tail but slowly getting there; the next is the me 163 Komet- an amazing plane , under that is the Blohm and Voss p-series tailless fighter- it can fly in the most incredible winds and hangs in the sky like a bird of prey. Last is the he 162 edf project. It is getting a scale tail and cockpit next, seeing I sorted out the twin tail issues. more next post; if the weather allows

Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Very interesting build choice and looking at your planes it seems that tailess is the way to go for high wind survival. That presents me with a problem as I haven't got aileron mixing on my ageing challenger 6 radio. I must evict the moths from the wallet and invest in a Spektrum 2.4 system soon. ( When I can justify it) Are the bodies almost solid foam? I have just worked out a method of hot wire cutting fuselages from 2.5 inch thick foam board which will make planes that are more suitable to the local weather conditions.

Barry
Old 06-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default wind proof planes....

Hi Baz, yes; tailless is the way to go for serious wind. I sort of stumbled upon that fact when one of my sons' wanted the Komet. I won't ramble on about the Komet, as I have written about it in other threads, but the combination of delta with a good airfoil, epp and coreflute, packing tape covering and a pusher configuration launched me into a totally new direction in aeromodeling They are made by SBRC in Queensland, mainland Australia, and only sell direct (no distributor). The Blohm and Voss p-series was the next step and my youngest son actually waits till it is really windy so he can scare me half to death with it's incredible aerobatics it is based on a set of wings purchased fom "Wowings" another Queensland manufacturer who only sells direct as well. The fuslage is four pieces of epp cut and joined with compartments deep inside for the fragile electrics. I use $25.00 aud ewatts motors for both as they are direct strike combat planes. My poor wallet barely copes as it is The he 162 edf project is hopeless in strond winds, the Arado should be better, and the Me 262 is yet to be built. Eventually I will paint the appropriate camo colours.... by the way, very slick Hurricane...cheers
Old 06-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Mike, Glad the pic got through to you OK it proves the system works even if connection issues exist both ends. I am just finishing up my GWS Mustang today for a test fly in the next day or so. not in a 20 knot wind I might add. Then it's press on with and finish my next scratch build a macchi 200 Saetta.

happy flying, Barry
Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

I built one some years back with 5866kv Feigaos/EDF50 fans. Still have it, and a pretty decent flyer. The fuse is scratch built, with an FSK Leonardo grafted on as the rear section, and uses a FlyZone Cessna wing, which is close to the AR234 in profile. The only issue I had with the jet, was molding new nose glass, every time it was even looked at wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	103793   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	103794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	103795   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	103796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arado_canopy_mold_2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	103797  

Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default arado blitz project....

Hi Bill, good looking plane. The cessna wing does seem to look right--- I could not find much at all that even comes close ; then again, my choices are quite limited, so creativity has to make up for it. I chose the Arado for two reasons- the first is my fascination for luft jets and experimentals, and the second was the aircraft itself. Never built a twin, and the blitz has very clean lines with no bad habits. I want to experiment with different motors/esc/battery configurations, try counter- rotating props, try different thrust angles, attatch rapier rocket assists, build external bomb releases, and generally be a work in progress. I fly fom the surrounding cow paddocks were I live, so everything is hand launch. I usually manage to spend some time removing organic fertilizer after most of my landings So keeping to semi scale with the arado skid landings seemed the way to go. As long as it looks the part from about 5 metre's -I am not that big a purist Epp ,tape and coreflute have nearly totally supplanted years of traditional building, but the returns of having a plane that keeps flying more than makes up for it. Oh, for more time...cheers
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some plans,a book, and maybe nacelles...

Finally got hold of a book on the Arado, as well as a set of plans. Even though it is going to be semi-scale, I want it to be recognisable for what it is. The pusher configuration may be supplanted by a set of gws me 262 nacelles which I finally may be able to get hold of-direct from the manufacture. Seems the cost of freight is 4 times the cost of the parts though Hope to have the tail finished by next week. Plan to have it airborne by next month... cheers
Old 07-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #16
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

The 262 nacelles are pretty good sized. I use the GWS A10 nacelles also. BP had them pretty cheap, and may still. I join 2 sets of them, for longer nacelles.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default staying with the pusher option...

Hi Bill, the cost of postage plus fans and motors would add another 200 dollars plus on to the cost, so it will stay a pusher for now ( I already have the complete set up) Nearly got the tail finished....cheers
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default the airframe works!

Hi everyone, finally got some spare time to mock up the airframe. Stripped the wing back to bare foam so as to cut out the ailerons and test fit the nacelles and wing saddle. When I put the tail fin on and test fitted the stab for clearance, it suddenly occurred to me that the airframe was complete I wonder.........? So I added the batteries to the nose compartment, did a rudimentary balance and eyeball alignment check, and threw it into the breeze towards my 10 y.o. waiting at the bottom of the slope. Totally free flight, unpowered, and it flew like a bird. Very gracefull and stable glide for about 30 metres from shoulder height, with a gentle landing. Needless to say, my son wanted to play with it for the rest of the afternoon. I WILL post some photo's of the airfame today, before I start covering it......cheers
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #19
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Wow Mike that is a brave move. I know it's the purists way of proving that all is well with the airframe setup and you must be very satisfied with the results to say the least.. Can there be a slope soarer in development here? I just haven't got the conviction to throw a model into the wind on its own for a first flight ( or any flight come to that) it's full function for test flights for me. ( chicken). Can't wait to see the finished model in all its Luftwaffe glory.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some pic's

Hi Baz, we men of science fear no earthly terrors Bravery is for those who fly Parkzone Mustangs in a gale-the Arado is entirely epp and coreflute. Worst case scenario is grass stains, being stepped on by a Hereford Bull, or landing in the opium poppy crop across the paddock. Will put up some pics and talk about the build structure next post...cheers

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Planes 021.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	106010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Planes 017.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	106011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Planes 013.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	106012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Planes 015.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	106013  
Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #21
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default and the shed...

oh, by the way, the structure is my new workshop and shed for building. The area behind is where I fly Cheers....
Old 07-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #22
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Plane looks great Mke as does the landscape. Wish I could fly in my back garden; it looks like you have great sloping possibilities in the distance as well..
Old 07-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #23
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default just to recap....

Hi Baz, yes is it great to fly from the back door, even though I get blown backwards through it half the time. And those mountains are the end of the northen highlands and rather inhospitable at the top. Good view though- I would need a couple of house bricks in the nose to give it stabilityBack to the Arado..... The fusleage is built in three sections, 2 halves mirror imaged then joined, and the tail section joined and aligned later. The battery compartment and wing saddle is much easier to cut and shape from ahalf section than acomplete block of foamm. Epp actually cuts OK with a razor saw, as long as the blade is relatively new. My hot wire cutter is being rebuilt soon..... All sections were joined with hot glue, which works fine if the glue is applied really hot and firmly held until cured. The wing was cut into sections, rejoined and reshaped and than cut to fit the wing saddle tightly. Wing incidence can be adjusted fairly easily. The rear part of the fuse has a vertical slot in which the fin slides into, and the horizontal stab is slotted to fit around the fin, with seperate elevators. The nacelles were built up from scrap epp and shaped to fit. I plan to use the plane as pusher, and have provision to swap nacelles for edf units at a later date. Yhe covering is next, and I talk more about that next post....cheers.....
Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sounds a really interesting place to live Michael if you can compete with the wind. Just think how good all that fresh air is for you.
Your build method is the same as mine and I set out to copy the GWS fuz design and adapt it for DIY methods. I too build in two halves so as to be able to hollow out the bays easily. All I need are scale fuz sections from online drawings and their relative positions and by fixing the formers to a rod I can hot wire cut the fuz blocks. All you need to do then is hollow and stick together as you say and you have a scale fuz. Best bit is you can produce as many as you like from the same setup.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #25
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)

Hi Barry, hello Michael. Barry reminded me of this thread while talking on the phone today (good phonecon, Barry!). You have quite the Tasmanian Luftwaffe rocket and jet force going there- small but potent! The Arado is looking great. Quite an airplane for its time- nothing in the Allied inventory to touch it. You should try a Horten flying wing when you get the chance. They supposedly cut through wind like a scythe. I only get mild wind here in South Carolina and then I dig a hole with the tail!

Bob

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets