Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Night Flying Discuss night time aircraft illumination, methods and equipment.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default led strips

I'm preparing to put led strips on a Slow Stick. I already have a few rolls of single color strips (red, white and blue) 5m each. I'm wondering about these RGB strips I see on ebay and the small 3 button controllers I see. Also I notice you can buy waterproof vs non waterproof strips. Mine are the former. Of course I understand the application of the waterproof, but wondering if one is more durable or resilient than the other. Also thinking about the ability (if possible) to do color changes during flight. I have a simple led rx controlled switch I bought from HK. I'm wondering if I should invest in anything else?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

The waterproof strips I have seen, have a clear tube around the standard LED strip.
I guess it would be more protected from rough handling than the exposed strip, so in that regard it would be more durable.

On the RGB light strips, I have one setup with small brush type speed controls on each color, I am not using any type of button controller.
By varying the signal fed to each speed controler, you can change colors.
The problem with this setup is that it requires a transmitter with 3 twist knob channels, I am lucky as I have a JR 8103 for that plane. If you only change 1 or 2 channels, you will still have different colors.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Since it's a Slow Stick, experiment with your layouts. Instead of gluing the lamps on use plain old clear packing tape to temporarily hold them in place. That way it's easy to change it around till you find what you like.

I just have mine in a basic set up, I've got the standard night flyer lamps, and a switchable set of landing or as I call em the "Light up the whole area lamps"

Had to take the second photo from an angle as head on, it blinded the camera.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS night 001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	168006 Basic LED's for orientation
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS night 002.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	168007 Landing lamps

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Since it's a Slow Stick, experiment with your layouts. Instead of gluing the lamps on use plain old clear packing tape to temporarily hold them in place. That way it's easy to change it around till you find what you like.

I just have mine in a basic set up, I've got the standard night flyer lamps, and a switchable set of landing or as I call em the "Light up the whole area lamps"

Had to take the second photo from an angle as head on, it blinded the camera.
Wow!! That looks like it would light up a field. Lots of great ideas. I think I'll try what's on hand and I'll take your suggestion and do the tape thing and see what I like. Even though my lights are spec'd at 12vdc, they look fine on a 2 cell lipo as well. I have lots of ways to go here.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
DragonWeezel

I use a LOT of LED strips... but not too much on any one plane.

DO NOT, I repeat: DO NOT get the waterproof strips. There is no need. They add a rediculous amount of weight, and while a slowstick can lift a bunch, why add weight when you don't need to?

If you need stronger water resistance, shoot them w/ some corrosion x or something, also they'll be taped on right

This is more preference, but my personal, and would be professional(if you paide me for it) opinion is you want the lights pointing to the plane, so the light is difused, otherwise the LEDs can be disorientingly bright at certain angles, and invisible in others.

Neither is good when you have your hopes and dreams in the air at 2am.

I have a youtube video of how I lit a stryker (funcub lit the same way, as well as a slash).

Note, all strips are turned IN lighting the foam.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying