Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
ianfox

Friends: (3)
Default New toy:- Art Tech Tiger Moth

So, decided to by an Art Tech Tiger Moth due to it being a lovely plane and currently 50!!

First impression? Really nice model, really well made and very, very nice to look at. However, due to the following design issues, the last 3hrs of making the model will surely be longer than the plane lasts as I'm sure to 'ditch it' WWI style.

There is NO room at all for the recommended battery to sit in the battery hatch without a few moves with a scalpel. Even after a few slashes, the battery hatch wont close, so I had to remove it and rely on an elastic band to keep the battery in. Also, the space for the ESC and the RX is also too small. I had to remove the casing for the RX and wrap the RX in insulation tape for it to fit it into the gap, even with this done there was no space for the ESC. The ESC is now in the battery compartment. Also, there is no guidance on the CoG. It says the CoG should be 35%, but is this the top of bottom wing? Why not put the actual dimensions in the instructions? Anyway, it'll be in the bin when I stack it. Lovely model though!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
nbaker

Friends: (0)

Just considering treating myself to a Tiger Moth, how did you get on with this one?

Nigel.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
ianfox

Friends: (3)

To be honest, I havent flown it yet. Its a lovely looking plane, but does require a bit of fettling as I mentioned in my other post. Also, the wheels are tiny so will need a really flat runway. I'm glad I got it though, providing it flies ok. 50 is a bit of a bargain....
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Tiger Moths typically balance just forward of where the rear cabane struts meet the upper wing. If you are behind the rear cabane struts you are too far back.

If you draw a line at the rear cabane struts going wingtip to wingtip, close to half the upper wing is ahead of that line and little of the lower wing is ahead of that line. so you are close to.. 30% MAC

Works for every Tiger Moth I have ever had.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers