Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
chardesa

Club: Haywood RC flyers
Friends: (0)
Default PA-46 Twin Comanche

This is another of my conversions to electric flight since I gave up on glow and gas 40 years ago.
As some of you may know I was looking for a Top Flight C-310 which is out of production and stumbled on this Seagull Models PA-46 Twin Comanche. Not quite the same caliber as the TF 310 but acceptable for my twin project this time. It took me a while to figure out how to get pictures up, since this Wattflyer program is actually broke in that department, so I am stating back at the begining. So hang in there.
Opening the box things were packed nice and everything seperatly packaged. The parts count was as stated so we started.
First there have been questions here and there about servo size for some of Segulls kits so I played it safe and did not order any until I could see for myself what was needed. In this kit they are all standard and also for the K8-B sailplane which I have built. So I sent my order in to Horizon Hobby.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA-46A.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	173335 click to enlarge.

Name:	PA-46 9A.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	173336 the specs

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,988 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Wow, Thats a big plane Good luck to you on the build, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

Nice project....will be following along...
Old 02-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I love it. Seagull makes some nice stuff. My big twin is the eflight Deuces Wild that I bought used. It has Scorpion 710's. Going with G-46's ?

Always liked the Piper twins. Aztec and Seneca

I can't understand why these RC mfg.'s discontinue these beautiful planes

Following.

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
chardesa

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Wow, Thats a big plane Good luck to you on the build, Chellie
Did you notice on the box cover it said "ALMOST READY TO FLY", now that is a very loose statement for this model which did not come with any electronics installed or motors and lots of parts that needed to be glued on.

Chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Not unusual for planes like this. Add motors, esc's servos and it's 2x. But also, it provides flexibility of choice.

The PNP versions sometimes include stuff you end up replacing / upgrading anyway.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by chardesa View Post
Did you notice on the box cover it said "ALMOST READY TO FLY", now that is a very loose statement for this model which did not come with any electronics installed or motors and lots of parts that needed to be glued on.

Chardesa
Chardesa - that is exactly the definition of ARF. That means the plane is built, covered and ready to add your components and do general assembly.

RTF = Ready to fly is what you want if you don't want to do any of that work. Even then - you will usually have to bolt a thing on here or there.

This looks like a nice plane....has me thinking about one!

Mike
Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
chardesa

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Not unusual for planes like this. Add motors, esc's servos and it's 2x. But also, it provides flexibility of choice.

The PNP versions sometimes include stuff you end up replacing / upgrading anyway.
Yes sir, been there and done that.

chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
chardesa

Since I did not have servos or motors to install I started working on the tail feathers and anything else to make ready for the installation of the servos.
So I mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and put the Vertical and Horizontal stabalizers on. NO screws here just fitting and glueing. By the way it is a very good idea to dry fit everything prier to glueing as I will tell later of a goof I found by the model maker. Alignment of the horizontal stab is very important and a little more dificult without the main wing on for a referencs point. Using the slow epoxy gave me time to check this.
I give you a couple of pictures of the cockpit just as it came out of the box. I am impressed! Is this what they mean ready to fly.
Since I had one standard servo on hand I fitted it to all the servo positions in the fuselage and wings and pr-drilled all the screw holes.
I am waiting for 4 Hi-Tec HS-5645DMG and 2 HS-645DMG servos, 2 60 Amp E-flite ESC, 2 Power 46 E-flite motors and a set of 60-120 electric tri gear retracts.

chardesa

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA- 46 10A.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	173338 very nice panel

Name:	PA-46 13A.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	173339 two nice looking pilots

Name:	PA-46 12A.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	173340 tail feathers on

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Chardesa that's a sharp looking twin be following along on the assembly.

Another definition of ARF is ARM (almost ready to modify) found that out on a few ARF's I have bought over the years.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
chardesa

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Chardesa that's a sharp looking twin be following along on the assembly.

Another definition of ARF is ARM (almost ready to modify) found that out on a few ARF's I have bought over the years.
Yes id deed, been there too. But you know they are getting better all the time. I am about ready to give away some of my old stuff so I can have room for a new one. What about that?

chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I hear ya on the making room part. I recently sold 3 planes to make room for the new. These where planes that I just didn't fly much because my field is not retract friendly. At least they will be enjoyed, and flown by the guys that bought em.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
chardesa

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
I hear ya on the making room part. I recently sold 3 planes to make room for the new. These where planes that I just didn't fly much because my field is not retract friendly. At least they will be enjoyed, and flown by the guys that bought em.
Yes that is just what I need to do. I am out of space with this twin, they are on wing racks and hanging from the rafters and on the floor everywhere, I have a museum! WOW!

Chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Some really high quality gear you're stuffing her with. Like it.

I'd love to find a good deal on a used Bonanza, PC-9, etc. Balsa. The Deuces Wild deal I got was too good to be true. $200.00 RTF.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
chardesa

Some really high quality gear you're stuffing her with. Like it.

I'd love to find a good deal on a used Bonanza, PC-9, etc. Balsa. The Deuces Wild deal I got was too good to be true. $200.00 RTF.
Some people have all the luck. When I was looking for the C-310 I missed out on two by hours, and that's the luck I have.
As for the eteltric equipment I use, well I have learned from experience that it does not pay to skimp on the quality. The stuff I ordered is not top shelf but quite a bit above the bottom. I like using Digital servos because I can adjust them and reverse them easily. I lost a big DC-3 twin because I used a servo reverser that decided not to work when I needed it. So you live and learn. You will see if you follow my build some of the neat stuff I use.

Chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #16
chardesa

Some people have all the luck. When I was looking for the C-310 I missed out on two by hours, and that's the luck I have.
As for the eteltric equipment I use, well I have learned from experience that it does not pay to skimp on the quality. The stuff I ordered is not top shelf but quite a bit above the bottom. I like using Digital servos because I can adjust them and reverse them easily. I lost a big DC-3 twin because I used a servo reverser that decided not to work when I needed it. So you live and learn. You will see if you follow my build some of the neat stuff I use.

Chardesa
There are several places that the Pilatus PC-9 in a foam ARF model are available.
AS for Bonansa they helped Pilatus build the MARK II version.

chardesa
Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #17
chardesa

Today I worked on the wings putting on the motor boxes and fitting the nacelles and installing the wing tip tanks.
The motor boxes have to be epoxied to the wing and become a ridgid part of the wing. The first one did not fit well and I discovered that there were two tabs on the bottom that had not been removed, so once those were done away with it fit perfectly and I used 30 minute epoxy to attach them to the wings. After this set up I reinforsed it with Hysol 9462 epoxy to let it dry over night. If you people have not treid this Hysol, it is great. It comes in 2 blends, 9462 which is cream color, stronger and slow drying and then there is E-20 HP which is almost clear and dries much faster. The only bad thing is that you have to buy the little application gun and the nozzles that go with it, but I tell you it is worth it.
I went to put on the tip tanks which are finished and just need to be glued on. Well I was working on the right wing so I picked up the tip tank with the green light on it but it did not fit right so after fussing with it for a minute I picked up the one with the RED light and sure enough it fit perfectly. Well I sent Segull a little FB message about that.
So the tip tanks were epoxied on and a strip of covering material was put on the seam with the heating iron.
The nacells were fitted over the motor boxes and checked for allignment and then attached with 5 screws and the wings were ready for the servos and motors and last to have the retracts installed.

chardesa

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA-46 11A.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	173360 wing parts

Name:	PA-46 8A.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	173361 motor box

Name:	PA-46 7A.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	173362 tip tank, wrong color

Name:	PA-46 6A.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	173363 wing assembled

chardesa
Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
chardesa

My order has arrived from Horizon, I just can not give enough praize to Horizion for getting orders out quickly. However they were out of stock on thr Power 46 motors so I went to RC Buyers Warehouse by phone and they had them on the shelfe and I had them in had in two days.
So to work installing the rudder and elevator servos in the fuselage along with the Spectrum 621 RX which I had pre binded with my Spectrum DX7S TX. Now I can center the servos with the RX as I set them up useing an Li Fe battery and an on off switch for powering the RX for the time being. At this time I also added a JR Match Box to the system by hookining it directly to the TX Flap socket, this will control the flap servos and keep them in sync. If you have not used a JR Match Box it is a very handy device. Of course you need digital servos to make it work but the beauty is you can adjust the center and end points as well as the direction of up to four servos hooked up to it.
Now I started on the wings again with the aileron and flap servos and because I had predrilled the holes it was quick work. As I put inn each servo I hooked it up to the RX and centered it and made sure it was traveling in the right direction.
Next are the motors.
I show you the fixed gear that came with this model, they are really nice and I hate not to use them.

chardesa
Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
chardesa

I had added pictures to this post but they disapeared. so we try again.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA-46 g1A.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	173378

Name:	PA-46 21A.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	173379

Name:	PA-46 20A.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	173380

Name:	PA-46 4A.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	173381

Name:	PA-46 3A.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	173382

Name:	PA-46 2A.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	173383

chardesa
Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #20
chardesa

Mounting the motors takes a little time to fit them in so that they lined up with the center of the Nacelle. The trick I used here was to put stickey tape on the back of the motor mount bracket then press it onto the mouter mount on the plane. This way I could move it around until it was centered properly then mark and drill the holes for the blind nuts. This works very well.
On this model the plane motor mount is adjustable for depth so that is another thing that has to be adjusted for the proper distance so that the prop and spinner will fit on correct. I just used balsa wedges to do this and when it was just right I used CA glue to hold it and then epoxy to secure it in place.
With the motors installed I added the ESC's with 2 sided tape then added the wire extention to the wing root. I also had to make up a special harness for the ESC to connect to the batteries.

chardesa

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA-46 22A.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	173384 motor mounted

Name:	PA-46 28A.jpg
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	173385 special harness for power

Name:	PA-46 31A.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	173386 ESC installed

Name:	PA-46 27A.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	173387 nacelle with prop and spinner on

chardesa
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Found a Top flight C-310 RTF but with Nitro. He says its too big to convert. Do you agree?

What's a plane like this worth?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post27460736

Curious,

Hawk

Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
chardesa

Found a Top flight C-310 RTF but with Nitro. He says its too big to convert. Do you agree?

What's a plane like this worth?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post27460736

Curious,

Hawk
It is not to big to convert. The original model C-310 ARF-- NIB was about $600. so it depends on the seller.

chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It is not to big to convert. The original model C-310 ARF-- NIB was about $600. so it depends on the seller.

chardesa
+1 an easy conversion. I have no idea what they are worth....
Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
chardesa

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
+1 an easy conversion. I have no idea what they are worth....

Bargin with the seller.

Good luck

chardesa

chardesa
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
chardesa

The installation of the wing retracts was the hardest part of this build and took the longest of any other part of the build. We started out with a bubch of parts and the E-flite 60-120 electric retracts.
First make the cut out and fit the wheel well. Next fit the retract and for this wI needed to get the Dremel tool working to route out a rib to allow the retract to fit. Then I fit the axle and wheel and trimed the gear leg to the proper length. Then I secured the retract with four 1" wood screws, out blue lock tite on the screws for the wheel. I tested the retract and it worked fine so I used rubber cement to secure the wheel well in place and that completed the job for one wing. The second one was easier since I knew exactly what I needed to do. Next the nose wheel retract and steering servo.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA-46 38A.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	173433 the retract system

Name:	PA-46 37A.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	173434 the wing opening

Name:	PA-46 36A.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	173435 wheel well

Name:	PA-46 35A.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	173436 check the fit

Name:	PA-46 34A.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	173437 installed

Name:	PA-46 33A.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	173438 working and done

chardesa

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft