Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Weather stops play ..

We've had snow for some time now ... and then on Xmas Day it started to rain ... so now we have wet snow, lots of ice ... and cannot get to flight area ...

I tried yesterday ... car was ploughing through snow .... got 3/4 way to area and she stopped. Snow had piled up under and lifted the car so wheels were only touching .... lost traction.
We tried digging away at it, even passed a rope under and tried 'sawing' through the snow ....

Finally had to get a tractor to drag us out. That's first time my Volvo XC70 has been defeated ...... usually she'll grind her way through ... I've even gone round a Jeep Cherokee that was stuck !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I knew a guy several years ago, that took his Jeep CJ-5 as far back into some road as possible, to go hunting.

When he came back, he found tracks from a Volkswagen with snow tires, that had gone around his Jeep and kept going.

I used to have a VW type 3, I am still amazed at how well they can handle snowy roads, driven carefully of course.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

In high school (waaaayyyy back when...) I had a '64 Type 1 with wider than stock snow tires on it. That thing could go anywhere in the snow! I remember once there was a low spot in a road and the snow was drifted over it a couple feet deep - I just got up some speed and tobogganed right over the drift on the nice flat bottom pan.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
I drive an outback in the winter months and have yet to be stopped by the weather
Take care
Yours Hank

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new%20toy%20022.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	165099

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Honda pilot 4x4,ram thru the plow drifts and drives great thru snow. a nice beach ride down north Carolina was a true test .i left the tires inflated and drove through the fine sand as well as along the water edge. several vehicles were stuck...funnyest was a guy in a minivan,what was he thinking[or not thinking],hey got 10ft into the sand a sank up to the axels.

back to whats important,play time!!! we have stormy weather through our east and Midwest so flyings been on hold for everyone.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

The Volvo XC is 2cm higher than X5 etc.

Problem here was that she lifted on the snow building under her .. and then hitting a deep drift ... both together meant wheels were not carrying vehicle weight ...

If I had been able to punch fwd faster - I reckon I would have got through .. another 2 - 3m and snow was less.

The XC is actually very good for semi-off road but being AWD - that lets it down when 4WD is really needed. Many people don't realise the difference of AWD and 4WD ... AWD can be any combination of wheels ... instead of 4WD which is all 4 regardless.
My XC has pulled many BMW's .. MERCs .. etc, out of ditches here in winter. My house has a 150m drive and it's not cleared of snow - I use the XC to punch on through ... a 2WD would never survive it ....

Another point that many only find out to their cost ! Only Land Rovers can truly go off-road without being prepared before trip. I have friends who found out the expensive way. Seized brakes, faulty clutch, damaged gearbox, knackered ball joints, prop shafts etc. Those plugs they fit are IMPORTANT !

Part of reason I want to swap to Range Rover ............ no need to off-road prepare ... goes anywhere ... and in comfort !

Nigel
Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

my winter driver.....Only been stuck once

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	165121
Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)

My 2007 Silverado Z71 4x4 does well in the snow, but it's just so darn cold. I was thinking I could fly from inside my truck? LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions