Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Bill Gibson

Friends: (1)
Default New guy with an old Cub....!

Hi to all you E-flyers! Ill try not to be to long winded but....ive got an old Park Zone Cub that i flew the daylights out of years ago...it used 8.4v 600mah nimhi batteries...it has the stock brushed(i believe) motor, and i was wondering if i could use a comperable lipo battery, as everything with the plane works fine...the only problem with the package is the batteries are basically shot! Ive been flying a Park Zone Micro Cub, an Ember 2, a Vapor(no lights),and an E-flight Playmate(LOVE that plane) indoors at a gym for some time, but have no real knowledge of lipo batteries, as everything i have is plugnplay, so any advice or info would be GREATLY appreciated! I am having a BALL with this electric stuff! Many Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Hi And Welcome to Wattflyers Bill a 2 cell lipo will only give you 7.4 volts and less power and a 3 cell lipo might burn things up, Unless you convert to a brushless motor, esc , etc, i would just stick with the original type of batteries, it will be cheaper, untill you upgrade completly, just my 2 cents worth Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Bill Gibson

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi And Welcome to Wattflyers Bill a 2 cell lipo will only give you 7.4 volts and less power and a 3 cell lipo might burn things up, Unless you convert to a brushless motor, esc , etc, i would just stick with the original type of batteries, it will be cheaper, untill you upgrade completly, just my 2 cents worth Take care and have fun, Chellie
Thanks CHELLIE, ummm...would you know where i might be able to purchase replacement batteries for the originals? Im not sure where to look.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
Thanks CHELLIE, ummm...would you know where i might be able to purchase replacement batteries for the originals? Im not sure where to look.
Sure BRB this is a 900 mah battery pack, it will give you a little more flight time, recheck your CG, with this battery, it should not be that far off, with 300mah more.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ushed-rtf.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatt...airplanes.aspx

Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

take your pick here

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=9

Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Bill Gibson

CHELLIE, THANKS for all the great info! Hopefully, i will be able to get my old Cub flying one more time! I can see already that this is a GREAT forum! Im sure i will have like, a MILLION more questions!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

If it was the PZ Super Cub..Yes, you can use lipos. This used to be a very common conversion. The new version uses 3S lipo stock. Still uses the old motor. You'll need a 1300mA 3S (measure first) AND be willing to solder on new power connectors, pull this jumper to reset LVC, plus either get the new 9x6 stock prop or a GWS 10x6 HD (skinny) prop and ream the hole out. If you use the stock prop you'll fry the ESC.
Do some measurement on the battery box first or be willing to cut the battery box up a bit as it's a tight fit.

Even though you may reset the LVC I don't recommend flying to it as it's still set too low. It won't even fly on 3S unless you pull the jumper.

Lots of info here:
Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 4)

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Bill Gibson

Appreciate the info, Flydiver...its good to know that i have more than one option, as id like to get my ol Cub and Decathilon flying again......i also have a PZ P-51 Mustang that id love to fly again, but it uses a 9 cell 10.8v 1000mah NiMih battery...one thing a a time i guess!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

The P-51 uses the same ESC (or did), and motor as the Cub....I think. I have not owned one so validate that. Same general procedure to upgrade if it is, pull jumper, 3S lipo to fit, down prop.
If you look around I bet there is a long thread on it like the Cub.

BTW, dump the Tamiya connectors. They are not suitable for lipos and are pretty crummy anyway. Get Deans, XT-60, or EC3. All are fine. Standardize on one and try to stick to it. Deans are older style but work fine. A bit hard to solder. XT-60 and EC3 are essentially 3.5mm bullets in a plastic holder. XT-60 may be easiest to solder and a decent choice.

Can't help with the Decathalon at all.

fly
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Bill Gibson

Flydiver, Many Thanks for the info and advice! Where might i get the XT-60 connecters?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Here's a whole list so you can look them over. HeadsUp is a good site to deal with.
XT-60 at the bottom.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ORS/Categories

I'm pretty sure now your P-51 is much like the old Cub. They just used more battery for more power. It should convert pretty much in a similar fashion.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...listType=parts

fly

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners